Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:24:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Single Melting PSU Wire Help  (Read 520 times)
DebitMe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:51:06 PM

I have had a BFL single running for about 2 months now.  At first, the PSU that it came with died, but it would work no problem with the other PSU that came with my other single and also by just plugging it into my 850 Watt PSU.  I woke up this morning to the smell of burning plastic and came to find out that the wire connecting to the Single had melted.

My theory is one of two things why this would happen, and I am looking for feedback or for other ideas as to the problem as I do not feel comfortable plugging the Single back in unless I know the reason as I do not want a fire to start.

Theory #1:
I have a single 8 pin connector coming from my PSU (850 watts) that I split with this (although not the exact same one, its basically the same thing)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200935
that I use to power the single, is there too much current running through the wire and that is causing it to melt?  It was at the point where these two wires connected that it was hot and the melting occured, but the rest of the wire, on either side was normal temperature and did not feel to be out of range of how cool it should be.  Should I be using 2 seperate connectors from the PSU to handle this task? 

Theory #2:
The place where the two wires mentioned above connected was resting on the top of the Single, it is right near a window in Kansas, and stays for the most part cool, but I did notice that it was pretty hot on the single where the wires had melted, and they only melted on the bottom side that was touching the Single.

I personally believe that Theory 2 is what happened and that if I change my setup a little and allow the wires to not be touching the Single I should be ok, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: