Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:16:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fontas - will he kill crypto-currencies?  (Read 7202 times)
Taxidermista
Legendary

Activity: 1143
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:17:30 PM

While his activities would be illegal in regulated markets

Illegal??? What the fuck are you talking about???

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
doom309

Activity: 170
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:59:12 PM

does the exchange allow short selling?

that would make it fairer
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:50:57 PM

He buys on the cheap a day or so prior. Then announces the pump. The TRC pump earlier-- people bought it up from .0004 or so to .0018 in 2 minutes. (It plummeted back to .0004 or so within another minute.) He didn't buy anything on the way up.

That might work now, but when he first started doing this, it wouldn't have since no one would believe him. And this theory still relies on enough people with enough coins to believe enough to actually commit.

If it were me, I'd want to see it actually look like its moving significantly first.
mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:59:22 PM

he can try.....but who is Fontas 4 crypto

IOTA
creekbore (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:52:53 AM

While his activities would be illegal in regulated markets

Illegal??? What the fuck are you talking about???

This from Wiki:
One method of regulating and restricting pump and dump manipulators, is to target the category of stocks most often associated with this scheme. To that end, penny stocks have been the target of heightened enforcement efforts. In the United States, regulators have defined a penny stock as a security that must meet a number of specific standards. The criteria include price, market capitalization, and minimum shareholder equity. Securities traded on a national stock exchange, regardless of price, are exempt from regulatory designation as a penny stock,[12] since it is thought that exchange traded securities are less vulnerable to manipulation.[13] Therefore, CitiGroup (NYSE:C) and other NYSE listed securities which traded below $1.00 during the market downturn of 2008-2009, while properly regarded as "low priced" securities, were not technically "penny stocks". Although penny stock trading in the United States is now primarily controlled through rules and regulations enforced by the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the genesis of this control is found in State securities law. The State of Georgia was the first state to codify a comprehensive penny stock securities law.[14] Secretary of State Max Cleland, whose office enforced State securities laws[15] was a principal proponent of the legislation. Representative Chesley V. Morton, the only stockbroker in the Georgia General Assembly at the time, was principal sponsor of the bill in the House of Representatives. Georgia's penny stock law was subsequently challenged in court. However, the law was eventually upheld in U.S. District Court,[16] and the statute became the template for laws enacted in other states. Shortly thereafter, both FINRA and the SEC enacted comprehensive revisions of their penny stock regulations. These regulations proved effective in either closing or greatly restricting broker/dealers, such as Blinder, Robinson & Company, which specialized in the penny stocks sector. Meyer Blinder was jailed for securities fraud in 1992, after the collapse of his firm.[17] However, sanctions under these specific regulations lack an effective means to address pump and dump schemes perpetrated by unregistered groups and individuals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump#Regulation
And this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcap_stock_fraud

Etcetera etcetera etcetera....

However, I'm not looking for a legal argument.

I'm more interested if this 'community' feels a collective moral responsibility to look after its own.

"Markets always move in the direction to hurt the most investors." AnonyMint
"Market depth is meaningless" AdamstgBit
creekbore (OP)

Activity: 210

Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:59:19 AM

Gotta love the trollbox!

The level of intelligence recently has slumped as the number of users has increased - I actually have a screen grab of this little gem (from around August):

User1: Fontas has pumped btc to 111 on gox why is it only 96 here?

User2: he is not receiving enough support here

So wrong and in so many ways  Shocked

"Markets always move in the direction to hurt the most investors." AnonyMint
"Market depth is meaningless" AdamstgBit
andrewboy44

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:54:50 AM

well here is fontas twitter! https://twitter.com/fontase
iPaulito

Activity: 150

1EDwkxCjCMGGNQqZdxa8FwheMHXSoQe4TU

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:43:12 AM

He would have been in jail if cryptocurrencies were regulated. Actually what I think is that he will eventually end up there anyway. BTC-e has total daily volume(altcoins counted in) of 150K BTC which is 150M USD daily. Surely someone is monitoring all activities and those obvious manipulators will have to cope with consequences.
What I do not understand that someone who is having 5M USD or more in crypto wants more and more. I mean having 5M USD 100% or risking that
a)Russian website taken down by government
b)Total cryptocurrencies end
c)Hacker hacks into your account
and many more threats... Just do not buy it why. Either way you at least know where to get out of the coin - Pump announcment
Speaker

Activity: 154

Veronica <333

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:50:18 AM

Following fontase is a very very risky game but every once in a while you make something. I had 5 COL and he pumped it really well. The COL is still useless to me but its all about luck when following his plans. I tend not to deal with him and do absolutely nothing when he announces a P&D in a cryptocurrency I have some coin in.
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 07:43:06 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2013, 08:15:19 PM by Altoidnerd

does the exchange allow short selling?

that would make it fairer

Shorting bitcoin would be excellent, but I don't know any way to short bitcoin, or any crypto, unless you just borrow some coins from a friend.

On another note, fontas is certainly real and that is certainly his twitter.  It's not difficult to use a wallet address he gives out publicly to locate several 1,000 BTC wallets and a big mother wallet holding 98,000 BTC.  Edit: this was his donations wallet on twitter recently.  1FCzmB3DhsuzBSM4wKcfJoTLRAvMARRuXM

Maybe fontas antics would be illegal, but big orders trying to motivate markets isn't illegal, at least I don't think it is.  "Pump and dump" worked on gox once with about $3 million, looks like the guy dumped it off and ended up with cheap or free BTC. https://i.imgur.com/2h3kLI7.png

Do you even mine?
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
blockage

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

Vires in numeris.

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:04:47 AM

Shorting bitcoin would be excellent, but I don't know any way to short bitcoin, or any crypto, unless you just borrow some coins from a friend.

I think you can do that on Bitfinex or Btc-e.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:08:59 AM

Fontas will not kill crypto-currencies, but he will probably be going to jail for financial crimes. You're not allowed to deliberately "pump and dump". If the SEC got Pirate, they will get Fontas.

more or less retired.
Altoidnerd

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 04:56:11 AM

Fontas will not kill crypto-currencies, but he will probably be going to jail for financial crimes. You're not allowed to deliberately "pump and dump". If the SEC got Pirate, they will get Fontas.

I honestly think the world market will simply beat him down and he will lose his wealth.  Either that or he will have to cease.  He can get away with it now, but the market cap of bitcoin is currently less than the market cap of shares of microsoft by a factor of 10.

When the world market really comes to the scene, it will not matter what fontas wants.  He will either play correctly or be squashed.

Do you even mine?
Speaker

Veronica <333

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:01:34 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 05:50:57 AM by Speaker

I don't understand why fontase just doesn't quit. He's made more than enough money off of that.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:44:24 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Fontas is arrested by the SEC for being a currency manipulator.

That said, the troll box on BTC-E is great entertainment. Anyone taking things literally there is in for a rude awakening.

Besides, all the Quark Spammers can really get on your nerves...
Altoidnerd

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 05:56:03 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Fontas is arrested by the SEC for being a currency manipulator.

That said, the troll box on BTC-E is great entertainment. Anyone taking things literally there is in for a rude awakening.

Besides, all the Quark Spammers can really get on your nerves...

I know.  How do they not feel bad about this?  Seriously.  When asked why I didn't jump on quark, I didn't even know where to begin.  Trying too hard to make me buy it and save it maybe?  98% premine?  WHATS NOT TO LIKE DUDE?

Do you even mine?
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 06:09:15 AM

Rewording the question a little bit:

Are crypto-currencies so fragile that a single person can destroy them?

Speaker

Veronica <333

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:20:02 AM

Not all clearly but he ruined COL. It was worth about .0000000024 or something and now its at like .0000000004. I'm probably off with those 0s.
Altoidnerd

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 06:58:04 AM

Not all clearly but he ruined COL. It was worth about .0000000024 or something and now its at like .0000000004. I'm probably off with those 0s.

More and more money gets pumped into crypto currency every single day.  It enters through bitcoin.  That is the point of entry for the fiat.  But it trickles down into the alts.  Eventually, the enormous wealth of the world market will definitely crush him.  He will be an interesting case study - his twitter account.  He is loaded now, richer than he ever imagined he would be.  His head is filled with hot air.  When he realizes that he can only push around baby markets (like I said, a single wall street stock would smash him) he will not be proud anymore.

Do you even mine?
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:01:04 AM

Edit: nevermind
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All