Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:30:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can MasterCoin threads please be moved to the alt coins section?  (Read 2382 times)
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:41:24 PM

There are quite a lot of them in e.g. project development.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:14:56 PM

Isn't MasterCoin built on top of Bitcoin?  Maybe there needs to be a section for stuff like that, because altcoins seems like the wrong place.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:22:23 PM

Isn't MasterCoin built on top of Bitcoin?  Maybe there needs to be a section for stuff like that, because altcoins seems like the wrong place.

Like "Alternative Blockchain Uses".

I would be all for that. But a single Project IMO isn't enough to justify a separate Board.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:25:22 PM

Namecoin is partially built on top of Bitcoin. Does that make it not an alt coin?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:33:23 PM

Namecoin is partially built on top of Bitcoin. Does that make it not an alt coin?

I would argue that separate blockchain = altcoin.  I honestly know very little about MasterCoin, but it is built on top of the Bitcoin protocol and not a new blockchain, right?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 03:05:34 PM

There are quite a lot of them in e.g. project development.

None of us care about mastercoin and have very little idea what it is, elaborate please, and why it isn't relevant to bitcoin. Keep in mind there's really only...3, maybe 4 people (including me) who can/will do anything about it.

I honestly know very little about MasterCoin, but it is built on top of the Bitcoin protocol and not a new blockchain, right?

This is about the extent of my knowledge of it as well, beyond that I have no clue what it is, or what it does, or why I should care, or not care about it. This isn't the first complaint though, so I'd like to see this get hashed out one way or another, so we can be fair. Nobody has cared enough to do that up to this point, and nothing will change until that changes.

I'll give my quick impression of it here and why I've left the threads so far. My impression of it is that mastercoin is like a service that uses the bitcoin blockchain, like ripple is to xrp?  It seems relevant enough for the bitcoin forum based on that, though my impression is likely flawed.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:37:22 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2013, 06:08:06 PM by malevolent

7 out of 40 topics on the first page in Project Development are in some way related to Mastercoin. Is that too many many? Maybe there should be a sticky similar to the one in the Gambling section?

Mastercoin is more like Colored Coins or Bitshares (less centralized) than Ripple though it's in its early stages and anything can change. Should they decide to move away from the Bitcoin blockchain and start their own one (it is a possibility) then I think it would be perfectly reasonable to have Mastercoin topics moved to Alternate cryptocurrencies.

Signature space available for rent.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3410

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:15:03 PM

Absolutely, there's an ongoing discussion about this here.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:17:12 PM

I don't think technical details really matter. MasterCoin tries to embed its own data into the bitcoin block chain, a rather controversial approach, but it is definitely an alt coin and not bitcoin - as the name implies.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:26:24 PM

The amounts/balances/syntaxes/etc are no way related to the ones in bitcoin
Seems enough for me to define it as an alternative coin

Would you talk about a dog flea (its characteristics, digestive system, sub-species) on a dog forum?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:28:49 PM

I'll just quote myself from the other thread (I'm lazy Grin)

No, seriously, this is the old librarian's problem, where should I put a book about "cooking with physics"? Cook book or Physics?

You're absolutely right that Mastercoin is not an Altcoin in the traditional sense.
On the other hand, it's also not exactly Bitcoin.

Look at it from the perspective of the average user of bitcointalk.org.
He (or she) is probably interested in reading about Bitcoin. Period.
Right now he's overwhelmed by the abundance of info on Bitcoin itself, all the nifty little gadgets, services, gory technical details, political discussion about it.
And that's when you throw something like "Mastercoin" at him. He won't understand it, he won't want to hear about it, he won't be interested at all. And he's absolutely right in not wanting to read about Mastercoin, I mean, why would he?

Some people might be aware that I personally am a (cautious) supporter of the Mastercoin project, and even I find myself thinking "not another Mastercoin thread Roll Eyes" at times.

I think the Mastercoin supporters should accept the fact that the majority of bitcointalk.org readers don't want to hear about it, and that it's their absolute right not to have to. So, off to a forum section that can be easily ignored it is for us!

In lack of a better alternative, and seriously, not having the number of users right now to request a new top-level-forum, the most pragmatic solution is the Altcoin forum.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
coinbird

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:37:10 PM

Like "Alternative Blockchain Uses".

I would be all for that. But a single Project IMO isn't enough to justify a separate Board.

+1
That would be perfect imo. Also moving the topics to the altcoin forum will possibly lead to confusion between SHA256 mastercoin (MSC) build on top of the blockchain and the scrypt mastercoin (MST).
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:39:08 PM

Also moving the topics to the altcoin forum will possibly lead to confusion between SHA256 mastercoin (MSC) build on top of the blockchain and the scrypt mastercoin (MST).
That's their problem, this should not influence the decision

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 07:46:17 PM

I honestly know very little about MasterCoin, but it is built on top of the Bitcoin protocol and not a new blockchain, right?

This is about the extent of my knowledge of it as well, beyond that I have no clue what it is, or what it does, or why I should care, or not care about it. This isn't the first complaint though, so I'd like to see this get hashed out one way or another, so we can be fair. Nobody has cared enough to do that up to this point, and nothing will change until that changes.
The Mastercoin project is an experiment in crowdfunding.

Mastercoins themselves are just an instance of colored coins created in a particular way.

The business model:

1) Programmers create some mastercoins for themselves in a process that isn't quite premining since the public is allow to participate as well.

2) Speculators bid up the price of mastercoins, allowing the programmers to fund the development of new services by selling their mastercoins.

3) The new services will all be paid for in mastercoins, not bitcoins.

4) Users will flock to these services, which means they have to buy mastercoins from the speculators.

5) Since these services are so wonderful and useful, the price of mastercoin relative to bitcoin will reach some stable value.

Note that nothing about these services inherently require special colored coins - that's a feature built into them for the benefit of developers and speculators.

In fact, any of these services which are open source could be trivially modified to not require mastercoins at all.

The Mastercoin promoters believe that the Mastercoin developers will have stronger incentives so will always be able to compete successfully with services which work directly with Bitcoin.

The entire premise of Mastercoin rests on whether or not Mastercoin developers can create services so good, and which nobody else can replicate, that users will be willing to buy an entirely different currency just to get access to them.

If that doesn't happen, the entire experiment falls apart.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 09:04:14 PM

The Mastercoin project is an experiment in crowdfunding.
[...]
The Mastercoin promoters believe that the Mastercoin developers will have stronger incentives so will always be able to compete successfully with services which work directly with Bitcoin.
That pretty much sums it up.
Or, even shorter, it's commercial software for colored coins.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 09:41:59 PM

Perhaps Mastercoin threads that are mostly about the Mastercoin currency should be in alt cryptocurrencies, but Mastercoin threads mostly about other Mastercoin-managed assets should be elsewhere.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 09:58:27 PM

Perhaps Mastercoin threads that are mostly about the Mastercoin currency should be in alt cryptocurrencies, but Mastercoin threads mostly about other Mastercoin-managed assets should be elsewhere.
No, that might make sense from a "technical" point of view.
From the users' perspective, though, it's pretty much "I want to read about Mastercoin" or "I don't".

With one Mastercoin-subforum, people could simply ignore that one.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 10:38:20 PM

I would appreciate some guidelines on how to deal with Mastercoin threads. The confusion has showed itself lately, indeed...
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 11:00:08 PM

We really want our own subforum, although it need not be mastercoin-specific - just an area for projects using the bitcoin block-chain for interesting stuff.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:00:48 PM

No, that might make sense from a "technical" point of view.
From the users' perspective, though, it's pretty much "I want to read about Mastercoin" or "I don't".

With one Mastercoin-subforum, people could simply ignore that one.
I'd be happy with a Mastercoin subforum in either "Service Discussion" or "Alt Cryptocurrencies"
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: