Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:21:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The most powerful mining network in the world?  (Read 503 times)
SprichtZarathustra (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:34:13 PM

It probably exists:

...a piece of code that, without people knowing it, uses CPU & GPU power from many people at once
to mine BTC. Thus creating a pool of possibly millions of computers, all generating blocks without even
knowing it.

We've seen incidents such as the high-school IT-guy secretly using the school's computer network to mine.
If I could code such a thing I probably would have. Just like the NASA-system works, where you can sign up
to let your simple home-computer help searching space. Hell, maybe people would even sign-up voluntarily to help mine BTC
through such a network.

There's probably less incentive for such a thing as the difficulty has risen compared to a couple of years ago. But

I had the idea at a time where having a USB Block Eruptor would have made someone a millionaire. 

Does it make sense to assume someone might have done this?

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 02:38:45 PM

It probably exists:

...a piece of code that, without people knowing it, uses CPU & GPU power from many people at once
to mine BTC. Thus creating a pool of possibly millions of computers, all generating blocks without even
knowing it.

We've seen incidents such as the high-school IT-guy secretly using the school's computer network to mine.
If I could code such a thing I probably would have. Just like the NASA-system works, where you can sign up
to let your simple home-computer help searching space. Hell, maybe people would even sign-up voluntarily to help mine BTC
through such a network.

There's probably less incentive for such a thing as the difficulty has risen compared to a couple of years ago. But

I had the idea at a time where having a USB Block Eruptor would have made someone a millionaire. 

A while back it was calculated that a CPU mining bot net was using about $600,000 worth of (stolen) electricity per month to create about $2000 worth of Bitcoins per month.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
fenghush

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:43:02 PM

If such pool existed I believe it would have shown up here https://blockchain.info/pools Greedy pools are a real threat as far as I know, it would just take a substantial amount of computing power to achieve the critical 51% but it's unlikely (but still possible) at this point with commercial miners readily available to more and more people.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 02:45:18 PM

If such pool existed I believe it would have shown up here https://blockchain.info/pools Greedy pools are a real threat as far as I know, it would just take a substantial amount of computing power to achieve the critical 51% but it's unlikely (but still possible) at this point with commercial miners readily available to more and more people.
Say what?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
SprichtZarathustra (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:47:41 PM

It probably exists:

knowing it.

through such a network.

A while back it was calculated that a CPU mining bot net was using about $600,000 worth of (stolen) electricity per month to create about $2000 worth of Bitcoins per month.

Interesting!
Do you have some more information on this, how this was calculated?
Have they also calculated how many BTC's were mined by this bot net?
Gemminyc

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:49:49 PM

Yes, bot network are sometimes used to mine. But one problem, when mining the CPU (or GPU) is used to max, so obvious fan noice scare the user and this is way how to loose infected computers from your bot network
SprichtZarathustra (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:58:30 PM

Yes, bot network are sometimes used to mine. But one problem, when mining the CPU (or GPU) is used to max, so obvious fan noice scare the user and this is way how to loose infected computers from your bot network

Good point.
Though a restriction of max 50% (when available) might solve this.
And project different CPU-usage nr.'s to UI.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: