Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:53:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop and restart bitcoind every day?  (Read 3827 times)
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 02:18:03 AM

I was wondering. Can bitcoind stay open all the time without any issues. I am having problems where bitcoind gets "hung up" every week of constant running or so. "hung up" meaning that it is not responding to any RPC calls. Do you think it is wise for me to have a cron job every day at that performs the command "bitcoind stop; sleep 10; bitcoind &". Or is that not necessary.

Thanks,
macintosh264

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 02:22:07 AM

First, use
Code:
bitcoind -daemon
instead of &. Second, it shouldn't be necessary. I've never had an issue. When it's hung, what are the last few lines in your debug log? (The 'debug.log' file in your bitcoin data directory.)

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 05:12:41 AM

I used to be able to regularly hang bitcoind simply by asking for the address of several different accounts.

I eventually worked-around it by always asking for a new address of an account named "throwaways" before asking for an account's actual current address.

Probably people who always ask for a new address instead of a current address never even saw this problem, and I do not know if it was ever fixed because all my scripts use the work-around.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 07:04:51 PM

I used to be able to regularly hang bitcoind simply by asking for the address of several different accounts.

I eventually worked-around it by always asking for a new address of an account named "throwaways" before asking for an account's actual current address.

Probably people who always ask for a new address instead of a current address never even saw this problem, and I do not know if it was ever fixed because all my scripts use the work-around.

-MarkM-

Thanks for that and thank you JoelKatz for that tip.
BitVapes

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 05:10:03 AM

I haven't had any issues leaving bitcoind -daemon running for days at a time.  You might want to restart it occasionally, only because the debug.log file can grow to a large size and it gets trimmed when you restart.  You can also handle this with logrotate instead.

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
jfreak53

Activity: 298
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 08:28:20 PM

It's not hard to restart every day once a day, we do this on all our servers bitcoind clients since bitcoind has some major major memory leak problems.  Hence a quick, killall -9 bitcoind or "bitcoind stop" then bitcoind -daemon works great to clear out ram usage since it can grow quite large and it doesn't seem to clean itself out as it goes either.

█ █ microtronixdc.com - Performance VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Full-Rack options!
Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!
Furyan

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 12:42:54 PM

I have set up Monit on my server to monitor bitcoind's memory usage.  When it rises above a particular threshold, it is restarted.

I don't like having to do that since work records are lost (bitcoin keeps track of the work units it issues until the next block is generated) but it's better to do that than have the server lock up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: