Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:28:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Firesafe  (Read 5641 times)
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:13:01 AM

That is one cool wallet. I want one
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:56:37 AM

It's a great idea, I've been working on some similar products but in the end it always comes down to the fact that if you give someone the private key to etch/engrave/print, it's not secure. If you password protect it, it defeats the purpose somewhat of having a backup.

Hard to imagine a way around this before 3d printers take off.

You could write down the password in a way that only you would understand, then laminate that and stuff it in a magazine in your attic. Even if someone finds the password paper (which they won't) they won't understand it anyway. And as if a common street thug who breaks into your house is even going to care about stealing this thing that looks like a paperweight.

Yes, but a bulk of the reason behind these types of 'backups' is that in the event you're hit in the head, in a coma, or more realistically: forget your password (old age, not using the password for years, etc) you can still get your BTC. If you have to password protect it, you're still at risk for losing everything.

True. You could just write down a password clue for yourself that isn't too complicated, for example if your name is "joe miller" write down the clue "___ miller" (obviously this is a ridiculous example, but it's just an example). It would be almost impossible to not be able to crack the password yourself, but a common thief would be at a loss.

Now yeah, if you get hit in the head and have total amnesia for the rest of your life, then you would probably forget the answers to the password clues, but I think that's such a highly unlikely scenario that it's unnecessary to plan for it.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:32:39 AM

A bit above 1200F, Classic Safe 934 begins to melt.  We're currently prototyping Classic Safe 1783 which doesn't melt until the temperature is above 2700F.  The product pages have additional details.
Ok nice!

What is the point of a QR code rather than an encrypted private key?  Less likely for someone to memorize a QR code than a long private key?
The QR code IS the private key, just encoded in a visual format easy to parse by machines.
It's also an option to put the 64 hex digits into a slab of metal, but to use it you'd have to type them or use (less reliable) OCR.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:56:22 PM

What is the point of a QR code rather than an encrypted private key?  Less likely for someone to memorize a QR code than a long private key?
The QR code IS the private key, just encoded in a visual format easy to parse by machines.
It's also an option to put the 64 hex digits into a slab of metal, but to use it you'd have to type them or use (less reliable) OCR.

I figured it was the key or an encrypted version of the key, but it seemed like typing them in would be less error prone than a camera trying to read the dots on steel.  Maybe I'm wrong that it's entirely readable with a camera now.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
Relian

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:15:22 PM

It indeed is a great idea, but how do you come around giving the private key to someone else. Should be perfect when 3d printing comes available to the big crowd!
rmines

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:23:56 PM

Nice innovative idea Smiley

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:49:28 PM

Dude this slab reminded me of the movie Indiana Jones and the lost ark, i guess in 10-15 years we will be stealing such slabs of crypto keys from each other  Grin

x86Daddy (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:46:02 AM

It indeed is a great idea, but how do you come around giving the private key to someone else. Should be perfect when 3d printing comes available to the big crowd!
With the BIP38 standard, you don't have to give your private key to anyone... you encrypt it with a passphrase that you keep, and we embed the encrypted key in metal.
JTrain_51

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:49:23 AM

Simple, yet brilliant!

Totally agree it looks awesome!
russ

Activity: 59

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:57:21 AM

I figured it was the key or an encrypted version of the key, but it seemed like typing them in would be less error prone than a camera trying to read the dots on steel.  Maybe I'm wrong that it's entirely readable with a camera now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code#Error_correction
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 08:09:13 AM

Been working on an idea for a little while, and I just published it...

Neat!  I had a similar idea but yours looks way cooler.

in the end it always comes down to the fact that if you give someone the private key to etch/engrave/print, it's not secure….  Hard to imagine a way around this before 3d printers take off.

No, there's a way around that.  It doesn't not look nearly as cool, but I didn't have to buy a laser engraver or trust the dude who operated it.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 09:10:29 AM

Did you test scan the engraved QR code, is it working?

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:31:22 PM

Been working on an idea for a little while, and I just published it...

Neat!  I had a similar idea but yours looks way cooler.

in the end it always comes down to the fact that if you give someone the private key to etch/engrave/print, it's not secure….  Hard to imagine a way around this before 3d printers take off.

No, there's a way around that.  It doesn't not look nearly as cool, but I didn't have to buy a laser engraver or trust the dude who operated it.

That was very interesting, although admittedly a very COMPLICATED way around it. :-) But I like the idea of the user making it themselves.

more or less retired.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1122

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:59:37 PM

And, hey, you can use the leftovers for scrabble tiles if you put the scrabble point values on them.

There are some serious scrabble freaks out there who would pay good money for an etched metal set.
x86Daddy (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:39:52 PM

Did you test scan the engraved QR code, is it working?
Yes indeed.  I get best results holding my cell phone about a foot away from the firesafe.
x86Daddy (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 08:18:58 PM

Thanks for all the questions and comments, and thanks to our customers who've already placed orders!  We're in the middle of the USA, so we'll keep the sale going until midnight Pacific Time today.
nanobtc

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 02:50:49 AM

A bump for the OP, great product, great service. I got some during the sale. I have had no problem scanning them for verification.

Lennon: "free as a bird"
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 03:40:23 AM

Id worry about people Instagramming theirs

x86Daddy (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:34:12 PM

A bump for the OP, great product, great service. I got some during the sale. I have had no problem scanning them for verification.
We really appreciate that!  Glad you enjoy them.
rext

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:12:58 PM

This looks awesome Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: