Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:32:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We need a 1-syllable word  (Read 5738 times)
Speakeron

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:38:05 PM

Mib.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leemar

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 04:18:59 PM

Hal or Fin  (Hal Finney),

or

Max  (mXBT)
theonewhowaskazu (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 04:22:14 PM

We have our Western blinkers on. If China becomes a major (majority ) owner of bitcoins we have to consider a mandarin word. Heres a few (hundred)  Choose some

http://mandarin.about.com/od/vocabulary/tp/most_common_mandarin_words_abc.htm

băi
""

Traditional: 百
Simplified: 百
Pinyin: băi

Meaning: hundred

There may even be a Character that LOOKS like a bitcoin symbol Smiley

I nominate this.

FenixRD

Activity: 364

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:44:51 AM

I'm on board the uBTC as "bit" train, having slapped the SI out of myself. Too many syllables, the general public will never go for it. Even I don't really feel like saying more than a syllable -- it's why everyone says "bucks" for dollars. Simplicity is the reason for not having a name for mBTC and a separate one for uBTC. No major currency does this. It allows for two decimal places for satoshis (which, probably, will never really be called that), eg 25.44 bits. Very comfortable for people. Larger amounts are comfortable too. Even now, one bit is already 1/10th of a US cent (more like 1/9th I guess, as of now). In Japan (where they also group in digits of 4, btw) 10000 JPY = 100 USD = .09 BTC. They don't do decimals, so large numbers are already pocket change.

I also like "mikes" as short for micro, but that is well-used as shorthand for "minutes" in some areas, so idk.

Oddly, I haven't seen this mentioned yet in reasons for using "bits" but, the bit has a history predating computing as a unit of money: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_(money) ...I find this very fitting, tying two eras together. It was only very recently that all reference to a bit as a unit of money has been fairly lost from our consciousness. Also, Wikipedia above already links to the Bitcoin page, lol.

A million bits in a Bitcoin. 100 "satoshis" or whatever we end up calling it, in a bit. This gives plenty of room for growth, even if we add more decimals down the road (maybe we plan ahead, and assume we'll need to add six more decimals later, and save millibits and microbits or "mikes" for that, mikes as in microbits where a bit was already .000001 BTC, therefore a microbit is 1e-12) and is logical for the general population. If anything, we haven't planned ever more than a few months ahead with Bitcoin so far.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:50:50 AM

We have our Western blinkers on. If China becomes a major (majority ) owner of bitcoins we have to consider a mandarin word. Heres a few (hundred)  Choose some

băi
""

I nominate this.

I appreciate the thought behind this sentiment, but I think I'll let the Chinese pick a meaningful unit. I can only read Mandarin at about a kindergarten level, but since 1 BTC approaches the magic 8888 CNY, I have to assume they're talking about the same thing. I figure, with the economy relatively half-and-half, we'll need a word of our own for a while, and so will they (can you imagine, at this stage, trying to convince a self-described "american patriot" to invest in a Chinese-named currency? The public, and in most countries, not just the US, wouldn't be receptive at all, not in 2013. We'll get there, but it's too soon -- we want to let Bitcoin be a subtle tool of unification, not a blunt instrument), and as the world unifies as "people" over countries, we'll each know each others' words. At that time, we can collectively decide as a culture which word will win.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
Ruzka

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:23:54 AM

bytes sounds good to me.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:42:51 AM

a bit.

1000 bits to a Bitcoin.

I think this is a good idea. mBTC = bit?
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 09:20:27 AM

a bit.

1000 bits to a Bitcoin.

I think this is a good idea. mBTC = bit?

A more common conclusion (one which I share) is that with the speed of adoption and some of the things that are being rolled out this fall / spring, we should skip mBTC as a named unit altogether and just go with 1 bit = 1 uBTC, as in 1,000,000 bits in a Bitcoin. People will have no trouble talking about things up to units of 1 million. They do it all the time now. Using bits up on mBTC will immediately create the problem again very soon for what to call uBTC.

• 100 Satoshis(?) in a Bit. (Maybe these will be Bitcents or something, idk.)
  • 1000 Bits just is 1000 Bits. Or a kBit. Probably more like, 1K Bits, in writing, no different than dollars. "A cup of coffee currently runs you around 6K Bits at Starbucks." I doubt people will run into confusion regarding data vs. currency. Particularly since the whole point is that data CAN be currency, it's rather fitting, the correlation, for the average joe.
  • 1M Bits. Just like dollars. 1 million Bits in a Bitcoin.

Maybe, like cents, the symbol can eventually be a lowercase "b" with a hashmark or slash or something like BTC uses.

-Citizenfive
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 10:13:19 AM

I am thinking metric-term + "Bit"; for example 7 CentiBits

After all, it is "BitCoin", it makes sense to keep the "Bit" when describing the fraction of a BitCoin as this would connotate we are speaking of Bitcoins.

Likewise for LiteCoin use MilliLite etc

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
hmmkay

Activity: 306

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:01:35 AM

Ticks, Clicks and Micks,

Maybe with the B in front of it.
B-ticks, B-clicks and B-micks.

It should roll nicely of your tongue.. I wouldn't try to incorporate the 'meaning' of the decimal places in the name.

qwerty555

Activity: 405

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:55:54 PM

We have our Western blinkers on. If China becomes a major (majority ) owner of bitcoins we have to consider a mandarin word. Heres a few (hundred)  Choose some

băi
""

I nominate this.

I appreciate the thought behind this sentiment, but I think I'll let the Chinese pick a meaningful unit. I can only read Mandarin at about a kindergarten level, but since 1 BTC approaches the magic 8888 CNY, I have to assume they're talking about the same thing. I figure, with the economy relatively half-and-half, we'll need a word of our own for a while, and so will they (can you imagine, at this stage, trying to convince a self-described "american patriot" to invest in a Chinese-named currency? The public, and in most countries, not just the US, wouldn't be receptive at all, not in 2013. We'll get there, but it's too soon -- we want to let Bitcoin be a subtle tool of unification, not a blunt instrument), and as the world unifies as "people" over countries, we'll each know each others' words. At that time, we can collectively decide as a culture which word will win.

Agreed. What I was hoping for that there is a word that crosses over / has meaning to both cultures/languages. A win/win word.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:27:49 PM

Moo

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:42:03 PM

open ended poll
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 02:18:33 PM

open ended poll
do it already  Wink
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 02:36:35 PM

Satoshi = sat
uBTC= you
mBTC = mil
BTC= bit
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:22:49 PM

"Mil" will not be confused with million if you say "mils", ie. "That will be 2.56 mils please". You could also apply it to one ("one mils"), even if it sounds a bit weird at first. "Mike" makes sense for micro-bitcoins, and you could say "mikes" to be consistent with "mils".
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: