Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:19:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How am I, the payee, notified so quickly of incoming transactions?  (Read 751 times)
Automatic (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:49:56 AM

Literally seconds after sending a payment across the global, I'm notified of it. How does this work? There must be some sort of direct connection going on, and, not it just being relayed by randomized P2P connections.

So, how does it generate the quickest route to me? If we left it down to randomness, I'm sure it'd take at-least a minute, if not a whole lot longer, am I wrong?

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:03:40 AM

It doesn't generate the quickest route, or any particular route at all. When someone sends a transaction, it is sent to every peer that client is connected to, and every one of those peers relays it on to every peer that they're connected to, and so on, taking every possible route. Obviously one of those routes must be the quickest one.

That's not to say you can't set up a direct connection in order to guarantee that a fast route will always be available, but that simply isn't necessary for most applications.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:44:21 AM

To add to the above post, even if it took the longest route to get to you, you would probably not notice any delay still. You can sort of compare it to websites. You can load a European website from Australia in less than a second without noticing the difference between that and a website located in your neighbor's house.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Automatic (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:11:36 AM

It doesn't generate the quickest route, or any particular route at all. When someone sends a transaction, it is sent to every peer that client is connected to, and every one of those peers relays it on to every peer that they're connected to, and so on, taking every possible route. Obviously one of those routes must be the quickest one.

That's not to say you can't set up a direct connection in order to guarantee that a fast route will always be available, but that simply isn't necessary for most applications.

So, I drew it out in paint to help explain it to myself (Not very good with P2P imagination, if I'm honest), and, I understand that. In the below picture I drew, where nodes are in a 'circle' (Obviously they geographically could be anywhere, and, connected to any node anywhere else), each node is connected to four other nodes, two to it's left, and, two to it's right. The originating node is red, the receiving node is green, the fastest route is blue, and, any 'extra' relays are black:-

Now, everyone should (in theory, am I wrong?) receive the same transaction four times, and, broadcast it off three times (Excluding the sender, who receives it zero times and sends it four times). Now, what if that happens, and, everyone is happy that all their 'connected' nodes know that this transaction exists, but, then a new node connects to the network BEFORE the transaction is put into a block? That means that it doesn't have to 'update' to said block, as, the transaction hasn't been placed into a block yet, but, everyone already thinks everyone else is aware of it.

So, they connect (Pink node), and, connect to four random nodes themselves (Brown lines):-

At this point, would the pink node be unaware of any transaction before they joined, but, after the most recent block? I know I'm deviating away from the main question I asked, but, I feel like you explained it pretty well and I don't need any more explanation on that topic, however, it did spark this question.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: