Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:53:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any knowledgable thoughts on how to create a healthy environment for ICOs?  (Read 711 times)
amancoin (OP)

Activity: 119
Merit: 2

Succes Is Not Final, Failure Is Not Fatal

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 02:49:48 PM

Throughout my experience, i came across a lot of ICO scams. Wouldn't it be great if we can find a way to fix this? Apart from doing due diligence & research on your own, is there any other way to invent some kind of safety features for the ICO dilemma? Let's share our thoughts & idea here...something that's realistic perhaps?

you can't. do you homework... and if the guys don't answer all questions of all analyst remember it's a big RED FLAG !!!!
i came across this https://www.acoplatform.com
could you please take a look & tell me your thoughts?

I don't know this one and it would take a while to do a proper research. Sorry.
please take a look & tell us what are your thoughts Smiley

I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for but the way I start my research is by looking if the team has taken an SSL certificate for their website, and if they did, for how long they took it. The project you are talking about took an SSL for only three months.

https://imgur.com/a/1j7wONi

I am not the one who is going to do any additional research about a project that doesn't have the money to pay for at least a year of SSL certificate. Such certificate cost a max of 100€ a year, and you can even get it for free when you know what you are doing...

Also, if there is at least one person with common sense in that team he should know that you don't save on such things. No, I'm sorry, not that you don't save on such things, in fact, it's quite the opposite, you DO save on it by taking one for a year or three. When they do stuff like this, whit their bad Wix.com design, the only thing I can think of is that they will probably exit scam and after three months the site will probably just disappear with investors money.

you have a very good point there. i'm gonna do a deeper research.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
amancoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 02:50:33 PM

There really is no way to be 100% certain, so I suggest to not focus on ICOs, and focus on establish coins. I don't think you will be missing much, since the ICO market seems to be saturated and people dump as soon as the coin launches. Wait for when the coin is at least on the exchanges.
that's a wise move. thanks for the advise!
amancoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 02:51:05 PM

I don't think there's much you can do. Scammers will be scammers.
yeah but we need to identify them as quickly as possible..
amancoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 02:52:50 PM

I know a coin who raised over 230 million dollars, and after launch it steadily went down to $4,000,000.

That is such a disaster, you would think it would be something that's talked a lot about, but no, it's just another failed ICO.

There have to be so many horror story of people losing everything.

yeap that's a freaking horror story. imagine the agony that people have to endure everyday. crypto should be safe and secure, but reality wise its open for scams to flourish...
amancoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 02:54:32 PM

This is where regulation could be a positive in the world of crypto. Is the ICO and the people running it had to register with a government entity, and could be held accountable if there was a fraud.
i agree. government or regulators should be one of the accredited bodies.
amancoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 02:56:23 PM

For me there has to be a few things in an ico before I invest. Only that I've been burned countless times in the past.

1. A proven track record of setting targets and meeting them
2. Honesty and transparency between investors & the core team. That way if there is a delay in the project then people that laid their money on the line are the first to know.
3. A credible track history in the market they wish to incept - if not, then a bunch of transferable skills, and a bright eyes and bushy tailed approach at what they want to achieve.
4. Realistic goals
5. No price forecasting. i.e. invest now and watch your profits go $$$$$$$$$$$

And a few others, but I think those are the main ones for me.

We invest in an idea; so broken English and a rubbishy website isn't enough to put me off -- they might have a fantastic idea and a real credible team to get stuck in to whatever it is they are planning! Language and Design skills/team would probably come after investments start rolling in.
yeah the doggedness of the ICO is alarming. 
gawer33

Activity: 309
Merit: 5

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 05:09:06 PM

perhaps it is best to establish a decentralized ICO platform which holds investors crypto's which cannot be withdrawn unless certain criteria are met(inverse KYC/proof of project as an example). not only gives security for investors money project developer can do some free/cheap advertising to the platform. sometimes inverse KYC of the ICO raters is not enough I remember Hashcard whom inverse KYC is positive yet it turns out to be a scam.
TokenSell

Activity: 137
Merit: 13

Blockchain and stuff

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:01:33 AM

perhaps it is best to establish a decentralized ICO platform which holds investors crypto's which cannot be withdrawn unless certain criteria are met(inverse KYC/proof of project as an example). not only gives security for investors money project developer can do some free/cheap advertising to the platform. sometimes inverse KYC of the ICO raters is not enough I remember Hashcard whom inverse KYC is positive yet it turns out to be a scam.

That is a good proposition.
There is another way. Why not create a crowdsale smart contract that allows to withdraw funds only when the team reaches certain milestones? The decision is made by voting of 50-70% of contributors?
If the project team dissapears than the proposition could be made by any of the contributors to refund the investment. The same logic: 50-70% of contributors vote and the refund is processed.

Now. There could be more complicative situations when the team will be agains the refund or possible attack by competitors project for instance (guys who will want this current project from our example to go bankrupt).
The possible solution is to allow team achieve small results and withdraw small amounts. But if you ask to withdraw 3 times and 3 times 50-70% of contributors did not vote for it (during a month) than any of the contributors can ask create refund proposal and vote for it.

What do you think about this way of fund management by the contributors community?
2342q6tegw

Activity: 174
Merit: 6

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 05:41:39 AM

There is another way. Why not create a crowdsale smart contract that allows to withdraw funds only when the team reaches certain milestones? The decision is made by voting of 50-70% of contributors?
If the project team dissapears than the proposition could be made by any of the contributors to refund the investment. The same logic: 50-70% of contributors vote and the refund is processed.

Now. There could be more complicative situations when the team will be agains the refund or possible attack by competitors project for instance (guys who will want this current project from our example to go bankrupt).
The possible solution is to allow team achieve small results and withdraw small amounts. But if you ask to withdraw 3 times and 3 times 50-70% of contributors did not vote for it (during a month) than any of the contributors can ask create refund proposal and vote for it.

What do you think about this way of fund management by the contributors community?

This could work well with a stable coin, since a project is likely to have fixed expenses or expenses in fiat a stable coin easily redeemed for face value is needed.
fudster

Activity: 1190
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 05:54:15 AM

Dehedge project was I think a great solution for this. We've seen it doing ICO which had already been working with some projects like the bubbletone. Dehedge offers safer investment for the ICO in cryptocurrencies. Its a Risk-hedging platform for crypto investors, check this out https://dehedge.com

So if you are going to invest, invest using their platform.  I haven't tried it thought but that's what I've learned from the videos I've seen.
amancoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 12:44:18 PM

Dehedge project was I think a great solution for this. We've seen it doing ICO which had already been working with some projects like the bubbletone. Dehedge offers safer investment for the ICO in cryptocurrencies. Its a Risk-hedging platform for crypto investors, check this out https://dehedge.com

So if you are going to invest, invest using their platform.  I haven't tried it thought but that's what I've learned from the videos I've seen.
thanks for the link, we'll check it out soon.
amancoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 12:45:37 PM

we still need accredited parties to verify the ICO first.
amancoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 12:48:32 PM

still...the best way would be a few well known regulator/government/insurance companies that can guarantee the platform as an accredited decentralized platform.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: