Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:21:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Omega Scholarship  (Read 3400 times)
flix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:02:44 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2013, 02:43:51 PM by flix

Bitcoin Omega Scholarship

Hey guys,

You might have heard of the Omega Schools in Ghana:

http://www.omega-schools.com/

…they are a for-profit, pay-as-you go, private schools aimed at low income kids.

Their business model is admirable and they are enjoying great success with kids and parents.

I believe that one of the most liberating things about Bitcoin is that it will allow people with an internet connection to work from anywhere in the world. I also think that it will help many people in Africa overcome the political, geographic and monetary barriers that they currently suffer under.

So I want to fund a Bitcoin Scholarship in partnership with Omega Schools.

Bear in mind that tuition at an omega School averages 130$ a year, so with very little we can help a lot of kids, at the same time as helping inspire the future programmers of the Bitcoin network…

However, and keeping with the spirit of decentralisation and capitalism that inspires Bitcoin, there will be several conditions that I think we should make part of this scholarship:

1. P2P: The scholarship must reach the kids directly. From donor’s Bitcoin wallet to the kid’s Bitcoin wallet.  (Obviously there will be adult supervision involved, but the wallet must belong to the kid and each donor will know who exactly is receiving the money). No intermediaries.

2. Reward hard work and talent: The scholarship will be awarded to kids that have shown academic excellence, especially in the fields of computer science, math or economics.

3. Public, open, transparent: Each of the scholarship recipients would keep a blog. Both to thank (and promote) their sponsor (if it is a company) and to show transparency (so that donors can know what is going on there). It would also ensure that our scholars get an early online presence and also help publicise the scholarship program to bring more donors in the future. It will also help write the history of the scholarship program.

4. TANSTAAFL: The beneficiaries of the scholarship must do something to help the Bitcoin network and earn their bitcoins. Programming, translating, writing, creating a Bitcoin business, creating art, helping local businesses accept bitcoin… whatever their teachers think is compatible with their age and a good learning experience for them.

We are open to suggestions and looking forward to your feedback.

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:04:38 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2014, 09:02:04 AM by flix

We already have 2  3   4  5 sponsors lined up. So this is happening for sure. Anybody who can contribute in ideas or BTC is welcome to help. Although we would like to start small and then grow the project as we see some results.

Sponsors                      BTC

1. BlockChain.info            2.00
2. LocalBitcoins.com        1.00
3. flix                            1.00
4. evoorhees                  1.00
5. marcus_of_augustus    1.00
6. Bitinstant                   1.00
7. Coinabul                     1.00
8. bitdragon                   1.00
9. halfcab123                 1.00

I am going to limit the first round to 10 sponsors. We want to make sure that we do this right and that we get the most bang for our buck in terms of changing the world. When we start seeing results, we'll grow the program as much as possible.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 01:53:44 PM

Hi, LocalBitcoins.com is on board on this project. We will pledge 1 BTC to start, and more when the project proceeds and we see some results.

rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 01:58:33 PM

I think there should be one or a small set of trusted intermediaries if someone seeks to donate only a small amount. Or would that still go through to a student in need?
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:01:59 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2013, 02:39:57 PM by flix

I think there should be one or a small set of trusted intermediaries if someone seeks to donate only a small amount. Or would that still go through to a student in need?

The idea is to make everything extremely transparent. So student Bitcoin addresses would be public and visible on their blogs. As would the school's.

That way small donors can help directly, again with no intermediaries. (Although obviously teachers and parents would be supervising everything)

My experience with NGOs in Africa in the past is that more than half of what you donate is lost in the way, be it because of "structural" costs or other issues. We want to make sure that 100% of our donated money reaches its intended recipient. We also want to have as much transparency as possible on how the recipient spends it.

If as a positive side effect we also create a Bitcoin-savvy generation in Ghana... it will be a win-win-win all around.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 02:08:07 PM

On behalf of the official wallet sponsor www.blockchain.info/wallet, I pledge 2 bicoins.

Blockchain is happy to provide free technical support setting up their wallet to anyone who needs it as well.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:08:11 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2013, 03:46:41 PM by marcus_of_augustus

... good initiative.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:11:07 PM

Throw some more money in that black hole? After 50 years and trillions, even more money?

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 02:56:33 PM

I am wondering if it would be more productive to spend the money on a tablet that has access to the internet, Wikipedia, and KhanAcademy, as well as a Bitcoin wallet, instead of on tuition?
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:56:42 PM

Throw some more money in that black hole? After 50 years and trillions, even more money?

Well, more than a pure donation, I see this project as a more like BTC promotion, and Africa is interesting market for BTC. I don't know what your data or perspective is, but Africa isn't just a black hole which takes all the money, but a participant in the global trade as well.

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:02:15 PM

I am wondering if it would be more productive to spend the money on a tablet that has access to the internet, Wikipedia, and KhanAcademy, as well as a Bitcoin wallet, instead of on tuition?

We'll make sure that the schools all have wi-fi. Maybe we will fund some devices as well. I guess that you are thinking about this:
http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_build_a_school_in_the_cloud.html
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:05:38 PM

A message from the co-founder of Omega Schools

Many thanks for initiating this scholarship scheme. I can assure you there are a number of talented/exceptional kids among our 20,000 plus student population, determined to escape poverty for good. Your support should go a long way to empower their aspirations to participate in the global economy.

I am all for the principles on which you want the scholarship to be based. P2P: Yes, children will hold their wallet into which scholarships are transferred directly. Omega Schools will have a wallet too and periodically, the kids will transfer virtual cash into the Omega wallet as a payment for their fees. We do have a talented in-house programmer to make sure it’s integrated in our school billing and payment system.

All our schools have computer labs, a few have Wi-Fi. We will assist the kids to do weekly blogging and to do projects that should advance and promote the bitcoin network. We’ve also introduced programming to our kids and we want to support the fast learners to dive deep into it.

Thanks Charlie for signing on and to you all for considering this.

Warmest regards,

Ken

Ken Donkoh
Co-Founder and CEO,
Omega Schools
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:20:01 PM

I'd like to contribute. Please mark me down for 1 BTC for now.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 04:54:09 PM

Is it just an idea and you are pledging fund, if so how much fund do you aim to get?
you claim to start small wich is something i like but what do you mean by small ?
a few student? a class? a school ? a group of school?
who are you?
do you have any timeline?

i like the overall idea btw just want to understand your motivation better

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 06:03:44 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2013, 06:38:46 PM by flix

Is it just an idea and you are pledging fund, if so how much fund do you aim to get?
you claim to start small wich is something i like but what do you mean by small ?
a few student? a class? a school ? a group of school?
who are you?
do you have any timeline?

i like the overall idea btw just want to understand your motivation better

I thought that the details were self-evident.. but I'll try to answer your questions.

-I would be quite satisfied with 10 donors and 10 BTC in pledges for now. If results are good we will grow next year.
-I am asking for pledges. Nothing more at this stage. I trust people to keep their word.
-Small is 10 BTC, which can probably pay full scholarships to 80 kids or partial scholarships to 200 for a full year.
-My timeline is to start very soon. I would like have the program working by January 2014.

As for me.. many people here know me. For those that don't, I just want to make clear that I am in no way connected to Omega Schools. I am a fan of their educational model thanks to reading James Tooley's book "The Beautiful Tree"..

..and I came in contact with them when my friend @borjaserra of #BitcoinAfrica (sponsored by Localbitcoins, see thread here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=307653.0) passed through Ghana.

I wanted to do something to help them and was going to do it on my own, but then I thought that I could do a lot more if I got the Bitcoin community involved. Plus I wanted to try an experiment in a new type of aid program that could be better (more transparent, efficient, sustainable, direct) than how things are done now.... if the experiment works, it can be copied elsewhere as all good open source projects can...
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:02:35 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 06:42:32 PM by flix

Just in case you were wondering what students (or the school) are going to do with bitcoins in Ghana... it seems that Accra is one of the most active African countries in the Bitcoin sphere, as you can see here:

https://localbitcoins.com/buy-bitcoins-with-cash/859645098/accra-ghana/

..so they should have little trouble in exchanging for local currency. Although they could of course just spend them!

Hopefully we will see this map becoming a bit more populated around Ghana:
http://coinmap.org/
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 12:51:42 PM

I will contribute with 1 bitcoin

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:36:46 PM

I will contribute with 1 bitcoin
Added.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:20:35 AM

These guys in Ghana are also interesting:
http://www.goodworldghana.org/
halfcab123

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:19:21 AM

Mark me down for 1 Bitcoin, if this is still operational.

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: