Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:57:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Computers, Phones & Devices CANNOT be used to Keep Wallets - Safety for Dummies  (Read 5342 times)
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:06:50 PM

I feel like a cock for keep saying but use linuxcoin lol !! and make several backups of your wallet. If you use the secure bitcoin client included in linuxcoin your wallet is saved in encrypted space located /.wallet. This file is hidden but does exist. I recently stored some bitcoins on an encrypted wallet and threw it out in the wild to see if anyone would take the bait and steal the coins. So far noone has claimed them lol Wink

I have tested LinuxCoin running on an IronKey thumbdrive using the portable version of VirtualBox (found here http://www.vbox.me/) works GREAT.

I didnt know enough about the TrustWorthiness of the LinuxCoin distribution to put my 100% trust in it, but it did work very well!

Insert and unlock IronKey which has the VirtualBox VM set as an Icon on the IronKey launcher.

Loads the LinuxCoin OS inside of a protected VM running from the IronKey device.

The one thing I WISH my Ironkey could do is directly boot from the flash... Unfortunately this edition of the IronKey is only available from Lockheed Martin in large quantities and high costs unavailable to the average joe.

Group buy?  Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8syM9phtpA

Good stuff !! Glad to see my hard put put into use Wink You can trust me 100% I'm not a greedy person and I've not asked for anything for the development of linuxcoin accept donations. I want to see bitcoin succeed and all these rip off scum bags are not doing the reputation of bitcoin any good. I feel there's some really pressing issues that need to be addressed as quick as possible before we loose the hearts and minds of a lot of people unfortunately.  That's why I'm trying to make a point of promoting linuxcoin and trying to get people using my OS. Everything I can do has been done to make linuxcoin your own bitcoin bodyguard Wink

The one thing I would like to see is knowledgeable people join the linuxcoin dev team. I'm struggling to keep up with the workload Sad there's documentation to write, software to debianize and I also need to port a lot of stuff over to different architectures.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:14:24 PM

The IronClad is nifty, but I think the minimum order comes in because they are bound to a specific IronKey Enterprise server license key when they are made, which would make them unsuitable for a group buy.  Also, they use whitelisting for applications, which would make them even more unsuitable.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
RchGrav

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:44:01 PM

The IronClad is nifty, but I think the minimum order comes in because they are bound to a specific IronKey Enterprise server license key when they are made, which would make them unsuitable for a group buy.  Also, they use whitelisting for applications, which would make them even more unsuitable.

I wrote Christopher a nice e-mail and gave him a link to the thread to see if he would make a comment.

For now I will hope that someone of Christopher's hardware hacking caliber does not get a hold of my IronKey.. Although upon examination it seems that I am unable to locate a security product that achieves the same goals I am able to achieve using my 8GB IronKey Basic S200.

I ask myself when is enough security enough?

I was able to verify that the S200 series of IronKeys do in fact employ the use of SLC based flash storage which allows for 100,000 to 200,000 write cycles vs 10,000 for consumer grade thumbdrives.

4C 6F 6E 67  4C 69 76 65  42 69 74 63 6F 69 6E
Qba'g lbh unir nalguvat orggre gb qb?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:03:08 PM

Awesome.  I would love to see him rape an IronKey next year.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:40:11 PM

I feel like a cock for keep saying but use linuxcoin lol !! and make several backups of your wallet. If you use the secure bitcoin client included in linuxcoin your wallet is saved in encrypted space located /.wallet. This file is hidden but does exist. I recently stored some bitcoins on an encrypted wallet and threw it out in the wild to see if anyone would take the bait and steal the coins. So far noone has claimed them lol Wink

Only problem I see with Linuxcoin is the user friendliness. I'm not sure I can install and run it properly. I tried to read and understand the thread and info. If I actually tried to do it it would be an entirely different matter I guess. But newbie dummyness is something to be considered here. Just because you can do it, does not mean the general population finds it easy to adopt.

Seriously, people need to make instructional videos for doing these things.
I think it's the way some people learn, or non technical people like me. If I read something complicated, I get lost following the thread of the idea, because i have not practically applied the info yet. When I see it on video, I can get the sense of whether or not I can do it as well. If people really care about the future of bitcoin, they need to make simple to follow instructional videos on how to do things like "paper wallet backups", "encrypted USB drives", "Linuxcoin safety and procedures" etc etc.

I'm not complaining here and I appreciate all the input and i'm still trying to wrap my head around a lot of it.
The thing is, i'm not dumb, but i'm not the most computer literate either. I have my own area of study and knowledge and I can see how sometimes people take what they know and understand for granted, but fail to realize how others cannot process the same data in the same way because they lack a foundation in which to process it. That's why videos help. If i'm intimidated by trying to read and learn about it, then Videos would help people like me, and once I studied the videos, I would be able to implement it without fear. Just saying...suggestions folks, make videos.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:51:40 PM

drgr33n,
   Since many people cannot follow a basic installation of linuxcoin, or may not want to jeopardize their own systems by doing the install, why don't you sell cheap hardware devices with linuxcoin preinstalled? Is that something workable?

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:07:33 PM

What about the fact that paper is archaic
Archaic is an advantage here. It's the only place hackers cannot get to.

Scriptkiddies perhaps can't, but a good and motivated hacker, sure.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
RchGrav

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:40:28 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2011, 07:52:32 PM by RchGrav

Awesome.  I would love to see him rape an IronKey next year.

Me too... When the IronKey was being introduced many articles were doubting that such a device could be made that was truly hack proof.. and so far to this date I have yet to find anyone who has been able to achieve such a feat.  To me it still stands today as a good example of a elegant and well thought out solution to a secure USB thumb drive implementation.

The obvious limitations to the security of the IronKey are not related to weaknesses of their design, rather seem to be related to usage scenarios, or grabbing the data while the drive is in a mounted and unlocked state.

Here is another VERY simple suggestion that anyone with minimal knowledge of adding an extra parameter to your bitcoin shortcut / script to launch bitcoin.

The default path on Windows for the bitcoin data is %appdata%\Bitcoin, you can access the path instantly by entering this as a path in windows explorer.

The simple act of moving your bitcoins to a non-standard (possibly hidden) folder and using the -datadir=path option when launching the bitcoin client will thwart the standard code used in infostealer.coinbit, as well as any directed attack on the standard paths used by the bitcoin client.

You can further improve this by leaving a "honeypot" bitcoin wallet on your computer in the standard location, it certainly can't hurt anything... This can provide a critical warning to a user that an attempt has been made on their bitcoins.   You could monitor the balance of that wallet, or last time accessed.   

I'm attempting to find something to run as a background service that acts as a tripwire to monitor my honeypot wallet... (or any access to a file named wallet.dat on my computer by a non-approved process.)

As an example of what I'm thinking here, you can download a utility called "Process Monitor" to create a log of which processes take an interest in your wallet.dat by adding a simple filter like this.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

4C 6F 6E 67  4C 69 76 65  42 69 74 63 6F 69 6E
Qba'g lbh unir nalguvat orggre gb qb?
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 09:13:49 PM

I'll hereby offer few options for anyone to own a secure wallet with Linuxcoin:

1) $8.00; Buy a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer at Walmart for $8 and follow the instructions in my sig on Noob How To

2) $8.00 + 2btc; you download the linuxcoin 2.1b, Unetbootin, at least one persistence file and install Unetbootin. Buy a Sandisk Cruzer at Walmart for $8. I will LogMeIn to your computer and prepare the USB for you.

3) $8.00 + 3btc; Buy a Sandisk Cruzer at Walmart for $8. I will LogMeIn to your computer download the files onto your computer and prepare the USB for you.

4) 4btc; I will send you by USPS Standard mail a prepared and tested 4GB Linuxcoin USB ready for you to create your encrypted folder and build your new wallet in that encrypted folder.

5) 5btc; I will send you by USPS Standard mail a prepared and tested 4GB Linuxcoin USB with an encrypted wallet that contains 1btc. Prefer that you supply the Password or I will prepare a random 12 digit password that is emailed back to prior to shipping.

Other options available. Just post/PM.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
drgr33n

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:55:05 PM

Only problem I see with Linuxcoin is the user friendliness. I'm not sure I can install and run it properly. I tried to read and understand the thread and info. If I actually tried to do it it would be an entirely different matter I guess. But newbie dummyness is something to be considered here. Just because you can do it, does not mean the general population finds it easy to adopt.

I think it's the way some people learn, or non technical people like me. If I read something complicated, I get lost following the thread of the idea, because i have not practically applied the info yet. When I see it on video, I can get the sense of whether or not I can do it as well. If people really care about the future of bitcoin, they need to make simple to follow instructional videos on how to do things like "paper wallet backups", "encrypted USB drives", "Linuxcoin safety and procedures" etc etc.

I'm not complaining here and I appreciate all the input and i'm still trying to wrap my head around a lot of it.
The thing is, i'm not dumb, but i'm not the most computer literate either. I have my own area of study and knowledge and I can see how sometimes people take what they know and understand for granted, but fail to realize how others cannot process the same data in the same way because they lack a foundation in which to process it. That's why videos help. If i'm intimidated by trying to read and learn about it, then Videos would help people like me, and once I studied the videos, I would be able to implement it without fear. Just saying...suggestions folks, make videos.

I'm working really hard on getting linuxcoin as bug free as possible and as user friendly as possible. There's now an easy installer for windows that can set up everything in minuets and everything you need has been GUI'd and put into a menu very similar to the start menu in windows.

I know there's a lack of documentation and information but once I've finished a few things I'll start on the documentation and put some videos together.

i have put a video on how to install linuxcoin with my version of unetbootin if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_thiv1l1kU
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 05:23:16 AM

I'm working really hard on getting linuxcoin as bug free as possible and as user friendly as possible. There's now an easy installer for windows that can set up everything in minuets and everything you need has been GUI'd and put into a menu very similar to the start menu in windows.

I know there's a lack of documentation and information but once I've finished a few things I'll start on the documentation and put some videos together.

i have put a video on how to install linuxcoin with my version of unetbootin if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_thiv1l1kU

I watched the videos, thanks. They are complicated for the layperson though. I look forward to your future projects and the progress of Linuxcoin

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: