Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:51:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think Ron Paul will ever pronounce the word "bitcoin" on US national TV?
Yes, probably during one of his future campaigns - 15 (30%)
Yes, as a POTUS - 2 (4%)
No, the man is too old to understand anything about cryptography - 5 (10%)
No, he prefers gold and he wants nothing but a gold standard - 12 (24%)
I have no idea - 16 (32%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ron Paul and bitcoins  (Read 4425 times)
ledskof

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 06:49:00 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2011, 07:17:14 AM by ledskof

Can't wait until Ron Paul is president of the US!

When people start seeing Ron Paul break his promises, they'll have no choice but to think for themselves Cheesy

What promises has he broken so far?  You do realize how long he has been making promises, how long he has been acting upon those promises, and how long he has been in government right?

He may not have broken any promises yet. I just think he will. And if he does, I think it'll be better for society than if he keeps his promises. Because faith in the idea that we can pick other people to do all our thinking for us will start to erode.

It looks like someone else is doing your thinking for you and injecting this opinion into your head.  Your are summing everyone who supports Ron Paul as people who aren't thinking about anything and just worshiping him or something.  I don't understand where you have come up with this.  You are on the wrong track, see, you're talking about how people feel about presidential candidates like Obama was that were plastered all over the TV.  People who supported Ron Paul did so because the things he was doing and saying were what they actually wanted and when Ron Paul says something it's not like a salesman trying to screw you over to get into office.  He has history of how he has acted in government.  There's no sheep quality inherit to agreeing with him and supporting him unless you are truly doing it without thinking and I don't know *ANYONE* that falls into that category who supports Ron Paul but I do know dozens of people who supported McCaine and Obama who fit that category.  If you analyze his work (you know, thinking for yourself instead of defaulting to "he is going to break his promises even though he hasn't thus far" lol), you'll see he's a useful politician to back.

The problem with electing Ron Paul for President is not so much that he will break his promises, but rather that he won't be able to fulfill them.  There's a difference.  Even if he manages to get elected he will likely have a hostile congress to contend with and will find it very difficult to accomplish anything.  Presidents don't have as much power to change the system as we like to think.

Yeah that is a an important point but wouldn't it be nice to have someone who was already on the side of the individual citizen though instead of there for big business interests?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 07:34:14 AM

Can't wait until Ron Paul is president of the US!

When people start seeing Ron Paul break his promises, they'll have no choice but to think for themselves Cheesy

What promises has he broken so far?  You do realize how long he has been making promises, how long he has been acting upon those promises, and how long he has been in government right?

He may not have broken any promises yet. I just think he will. And if he does, I think it'll be better for society than if he keeps his promises. Because faith in the idea that we can pick other people to do all our thinking for us will start to erode.

It looks like someone else is doing your thinking for you and injecting this opinion into your head.  Your are summing everyone who supports Ron Paul as people who aren't thinking about anything and just worshiping him or something.  I don't understand where you have come up with this.  You are on the wrong track, see, you're talking about how people feel about presidential candidates like Obama was that were plastered all over the TV.  People who supported Ron Paul did so because the things he was doing and saying were what they actually wanted and when Ron Paul says something it's not like a salesman trying to screw you over to get into office.  He has history of how he has acted in government.  There's no sheep quality inherit to agreeing with him and supporting him unless you are truly doing it without thinking and I don't know *ANYONE* that falls into that category who supports Ron Paul but I do know dozens of people who supported McCaine and Obama who fit that category.  If you analyze his work (you know, thinking for yourself instead of defaulting to "he is going to break his promises even though he hasn't thus far" lol), you'll see he's a useful politician to back.

The problem with electing Ron Paul for President is not so much that he will break his promises, but rather that he won't be able to fulfill them.  There's a difference.  Even if he manages to get elected he will likely have a hostile congress to contend with and will find it very difficult to accomplish anything.  Presidents don't have as much power to change the system as we like to think.

Yeah that is a an important point but wouldn't it be nice to have someone who was already on the side of the individual citizen though instead of there for big business interests?

Oh absolutely.  Don't take my post as a criticism of Ron Paul.  I have a ton of respect for the man.  I'm always telling my friends to vote for him in 2012 if they love America.  I lean towards anarcho-capitalism (and thus shouldn't vote) but if Ron Paul runs in 2012 I will vote for him.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 09:42:15 AM

Has Ron Paul ever said the words "Liberty Dollar" in a public speech or TV interview? They even made a coin with his face on it, so if they didn't get him to say their name, I doubt Bitcoin will.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
sortedmush

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 10:52:28 AM

Good point. I'd also say that he definitely seems to be the most honest and trustworthy polititican I've ever seen or heard of. I do like the guy, I think he's nice, I like what he says. I agree with you that Ron Paul supporters are absolutely nothing like Obama supporters. I wish I'd actually said this:

I do however think that when this ^ happens, we'll be better off in the long run. Because Ron Paul believes in the constitution, and “Either the Constitution authorizes such a government as now exists, or it was powerless to stop it. Either way, it is unfit to exist.”
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 04:29:53 PM

Good point. I'd also say that he definitely seems to be the most honest and trustworthy polititican I've ever seen or heard of. I do like the guy, I think he's nice, I like what he says. I agree with you that Ron Paul supporters are absolutely nothing like Obama supporters. I wish I'd actually said this:

I do however think that when this ^ happens, we'll be better off in the long run. Because Ron Paul believes in the constitution, and “Either the Constitution authorizes such a government as now exists, or it was powerless to stop it. Either way, it is unfit to exist.”

I heard a question posed to him with that Spooner quote. Basically, he agreed. I think any libertarian would look at anarchy as a Utopian ideal. Government is the negation of liberty. Just because it's small, doesn't mean you're not still sacrificing something.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2011, 04:40:03 PM

Has Ron Paul ever said the words "Liberty Dollar" in a public speech or TV interview? They even made a coin with his face on it, so if they didn't get him to say their name, I doubt Bitcoin will.

Good point.

I think the differences between LD and BTC are numerous enough to not really draw that line.
LD is a competing currency but Bitcoin has so much over it, P2P, digital etc etc

I don't think it's fair to compare the two. Also to be fair to LD they had silver back (right?) physical coins etc so it's got a few things BTC doesn't, not saying I think that makes it better though.

Edit: basically I mean btc is a lot more revolutionary, especially technologically than LD.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: