Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:41:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HODLing will get you nowhere  (Read 6183 times)
dumplingsandsushi (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 02:56:56 PM

The past week, as I've been looking to invest in recently finished ICOs since most of their prices are way below ICO price, I noticed the same thing mentioned over and over in their telegram channels.

People screaming: HODL!!!  It will moon someday!!!!

Another one that is common: When BINANCE!?!?! If only we were on Binance!!!

This makes me laugh inside.  Crypto is not a magical place where all coins will eventually rise in value if you just hold on to them.

Most ICOs did very poorly the last 3 months.  The ones that did the worst were the ones that started in January
Now, a lot of these startups are underfunded and could only list in low volume exchanges and seeing their prices crash to ridiculously low prices.
And everyone is crying on their Telegram.

Listen very closely yo: The price will never rise if everyone HODls!

Prices are boosted through supply and demand and if a vast majority of people who own the coin are not trading it, than you are severely cutting in to that chain.

Instead of Hodling, you should be buying and making strategic trade choices.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bastime

Activity: 519
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:11:33 AM

The past week, as I've been looking to invest in recently finished ICOs since most of their prices are way below ICO price, I noticed the same thing mentioned over and over in their telegram channels.

People screaming: HODL!!!  It will moon someday!!!!

This makes me laugh inside.  Crypto is not a magical place where all coins will eventually rise in value if you just hold on to them.

Most ICOs did very poorly the last 3 months.  The ones that did the worst were the ones that started in January
Now, a lot of these startups are underfunded and could only list in low volume exchanges and seeing their prices crash to ridiculously low prices.

Prices are boosted through supply and demand and if a vast majority of people who own the coin are not trading it, than you are severely cutting in to that chain.

And I would tell you that it depends on a coin that you are holding..
I am a bounty hunter so every altcoins that I am holding since last year were all earned through participating signature and other types of bounty campaigns but I choose to hold them no matter how the pumping and dumping is going on along the way whether the crypto market is in crisis or recovering.
What I know that is my crypto assets were increasing in price value and it's because I am holding.
When you dump your coins too soon, you'll never have  the chance to earn more and higher.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

ThePromise

Activity: 396
Merit: 100

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:25:42 AM

holding will not get you nowhere. holding gives you an opportunity to earn high profit, and the demand that you are talking about will come when the project itself has a latest updates or plan that will make the price increase due to its demand.

snapee11

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:27:50 AM

People screaming: HODL!!!  It will moon someday!!!!

This makes me laugh inside.  Crypto is not a magical place where all coins will eventually rise in value if you just hold on to them.

Most ICOs did very poorly the last 3 months.  The ones that did the worst were the ones that started in January

And I would tell you that it depends on a coin that you are holding..
I am a bounty hunter so every altcoins that I am holding since last year were all earned through participating signature and other types of bounty campaigns but I choose to hold them no matter how the pumping and dumping is going on along the way whether the crypto market is in crisis or recovering.
What I know that is my crypto assets were increasing in price value and it's because I am holding.
When you dump your coins too soon, you'll never have  the chance to earn more and higher.
At some point. You're right but I have this one little experience. My friends have one coin named Auto from korean ICO. after releasing the coins it was growing so fast every hour at sometime one of them panicked he wants to trade the coin immediately then some are still holding at the end the ones who was holding fir so long lose about $200 for their thousands of coins.
Isaak Brenner

Activity: 76
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:31:06 AM

Hold only good coins, don't hold shitcoins. If you don't sure that coin will go to the moon, don't hold it, sell it if price falling.
In january I bought 1ST for 1$ and sell it in february for 0.7$, now price is 0.38$. I loss money, but only 30%, not 60%.
Don Stefanello

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:36:21 AM

I might dissagree, most icos like you said, that started at january suffered a big loss, but thats because there was a massive dip in the whole market and as bitcoin crashed everything followed, and the newest coins didnt have the liquidity to not suffer a big loss as well
Haunebu

Activity: 3038
Merit: 969

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:48:53 AM

Your post makes a lot of sense op and I do partially agree with you, but this strategy does not always fail as you mention. I have personally HODLED many coins and tokens for a long period of time which helped me earn big profits in the long term which is why I can vouch for this strategy. Research and luck play a crucial role in determining whether you can acquire profits or lose money due to a particular cryptocurrency. There is no sure fire strategy to always earn profits, but HODLING seems to be effective majority of the time based on my experience. Short term trading is way more stressful if you ask me.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
taiwww

Activity: 588
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:55:32 AM

But HODL works for the major coins which are already in the circulation and has got heavy prices. For such coins the HODL stagey works because they are at the stage where they need to save their asses from dropped market capitalism. Thats the idea behind it. If most of the people would have been selling all the time then the day would never come when prices will be higher than the normal rates. For sure it is the formula behind the success of HODL. The more you hodl the more it will be stronger day by day.
Script3d

Activity: 1232
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:56:02 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2018, 11:13:48 AM by Script3d

People screaming: HODL!!!  It will moon someday!!!!

This makes me laugh inside.  Crypto is not a magical place where all coins will eventually rise in value if you just hold on to them.

Most ICOs did very poorly the last 3 months.  The ones that did the worst were the ones that started in January

did you just assume all people can trade correctly and all people will hodl where did that idea come from there will be always people trade because they
need the other crypto or they just trade for profit. did you assume all people have money to buy crypto and not all people can trade without losing money. the coins that are been hold by people is still part of the supply they can do whatever they want to the coin because they own the coin dont tell them what to do and if more people will hold the less people will fill those buy orders thus the price will go down alot then the price will go up alot if many people buy the coin and the spread is huge.
dkkhfhar

Activity: 89

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:57:51 AM

I think HODLing has been more effective than any operation strategy, but of course it's a good choice for you to find the top twenty coins in the HODLing coin, HODLing.
cryptowonders@20

Activity: 142

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 08:58:48 AM

no that is not right, sometimes holding really helps because wen you sold your token at cheap rate in the next two days will escalate.
for instants there i was some token i have been holding for the last four to five months thinking it will rise, just last week i sold it out and today the price is X3 of what i sold. now watch out haddin mean i hold my till this week what do you think be my profit.

so you see holding is more better.  
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 09:05:40 AM

Of course the market is regulated by market demand but don't you agree selling is bad on a bear trend? Anyone with minimal knowledge in trading will tell you that.

You always need to buy coins when it's a bear trend and know when to sell during a bull trend.
VclDm

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 09:09:22 AM

I think depending on the moment you choose holding or not. The market is gradually rising but still fluctuate slightly. You should continue to wait a short time to see how the situation and then decide whether to continue holding or not.

Pumuckel21

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

Empowering crypto w/ sustainable energy

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 09:12:30 AM

nope i dont think that you are right with that in crypto its really to predict when an coin is going to drop and raise on the long run, so you should hodl cause most valuable coins will increase their value by time

▄█▄▀█████████████▀ ▐
     ▄███▄▀███████████▀ ▐ ▐
    ▄█████▄▀█████████▀ ▐ ▐ ▐
   ▄████████ ███████  ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
  ███████████        ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
 ███████████          ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
███████████            ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
 ███████████          ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
  ███████████        ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
   ▀████████ ███████  ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
    ▀█████▀▄█████████▄ ▐ ▐ ▐
     ▀███▀▄███████████▄ ▐ ▐