Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:40:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CAUTION] MyEtherWallet(MEW) hijacked (April 24, 2018)  (Read 441 times)
cryptosec.info (OP)

Activity: 138
Merit: 74

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 11:52:44 AM

Update: looks like the hacker stole 216 Ether in total.
Screenshot(as newbies cant post images  Sad): https://i.imgur.com/7fueK5v.png

NotYourKeys.org - Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin.
-----
Join the Bitcointalk movement: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5292109

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTT737

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:04:24 PM

Do not use myetherwallet.com if you're using Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) at this moment, it seems these DNS servers are resolving the domain to a bad server that CAN steal your keys!

Invalid certificate: https://imgur.com/a/bh6p4DQ

Code:
root@tali:/home/micky# dig @8.8.8.8 myetherwallet.com

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u6-Debian <<>> @8.8.8.8 myetherwallet.com ; (1 server found) ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 44817 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;myetherwallet.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION: myetherwallet.com. 9641 IN A 46.161.42.42

;; Query time: 7 msec ;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8) ;; WHEN: Tue Apr 24 15:48:51 EEST 2018 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 62

root@tali:/home/micky# dig @8.8.4.4 myetherwallet.com

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u6-Debian <<>> @8.8.4.4 myetherwallet.com ; (1 server found) ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 36179 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;myetherwallet.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION: myetherwallet.com. 9902 IN A 46.161.42.42

;; Query time: 33 msec ;; SERVER: 8.8.4.4#53(8.8.4.4) ;; WHEN: Tue Apr 24 15:50:27 EEST 2018 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 62

Always make sure your connection is secure "green" in your browser!

LE: Anyone that got their keys into this has had their funds transferred to http://etherscan.io/address/0x1d50588C0aa11959A5c28831ce3DC5F1D3120d29

Edit2: Google Public DNS is now resolving the correct ips. Keep in mind the ttl of the old records was some 9000 seconds, we can expect some ISP's to cache that for their clients.

Again, please make sure the SSL Connection is always green when you interact with any website.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/8ek86t/warning_myetherwalletcom_highjacked_on_google/

I wish I had a merit to give you cause yes, this is crazy important.

Some solutions right now.

#1) Just DON'T log in to myetherwallet at all for the time being.

#2) Make sure you are at the correct site with the correct certificate and ssl connection

#3) Get a Trezor or Ledger and start using them to access mew

By now, everyone should know just how vulnerable web based wallets are.  It isn't really mew's fault, mew is just an interface to interact with the ethereum network.  On top of that, there are SO MANY warnings and advice on how to use mew safely yet so many people disregard them.

If you are serious about crypto, then you should ONLY be using paper wallets or hardware wallets.
If you actively trade, I would leave only the bare minimum required to trade on exchanges.
Everything else just store it away.
Would you leave your hardearned cash just laying around for anyone to pick up?
Why would you do the same with crypto?

Thank you guys both for warnings and advices how to prevent hijacking. Maybe you know free or cheap hardware wallets?
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:46:28 PM

thanks for this warning. this is really bad when something like this happens. hope not many people lost money thru this hijack, but as i have read, over 200k eth have been stolen.   Sad

But unfortunately that over 200k eth is a lot and for sure many traders are regretting for not using hardware wallet, yet this sundden attack should be a warning to all of us that there's nothing safe nowadays especially from hackers that don't know anything but to stole. They really did this on purpose like market is all green and people are selling their coins and that will be a perfect timing to their evil plan, good thing I didn't open my wallet yesterday and just checking my coins through etherscan.
Am I safe using a hardware wallet? And has the problem already been fixed? Can not find any official announcement that the problem has been resolved...

Well you're a whole lot safer if you're on a hardware wallet. Thus goes to show that if you really want to secure your assets, then it's best to invest in a hardware wallet. I had a few qualms when i made an account in mew and fortunately i only have a few tokens stored there. Though the tokens are still there last time i checked :p

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
fabskie21

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:56:52 PM

So sad to know this current scenario. This thieves are gonna reap the fruits of their evil doings someday. They got themselves so blinded by their love for riches and wealth. Theyll gonna suffer in the end. So lucky I didnt open my mew this days.
cryptosec.info (OP)

Activity: 138
Merit: 74

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 01:53:45 PM

Thank you guys both for warnings and advices how to prevent hijacking. Maybe you know free or cheap hardware wallets?

I'd honestly only suggest using a Ledger Nano S[ledgerwallet.com] or a Trezor[trezor.io]. They may be a bit expensive for you, but trust me. If you hold significant amounts of cryptocurrencies, it's definitely worth spending a bit of money for a hardware wallet. Security should always be a priority.

NotYourKeys.org - Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin.
-----
Join the Bitcointalk movement: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5292109
syauqialbaana

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:05:06 PM

thanks for this warning, i will use ledger wallet to store all my altcoin to be safe
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:10:47 AM

Damn hackers! Why don't they use their technology to do something useful to others? Why should we steal the fruits of others' hard work? Disgusting behavior!
I guess they will never stop as long as this space is concerned. Apparently, they would not want to see it that way and just the same way we have good people, we will always have bad people and this is the way the world works. However, it is really something that anyone who wants to be in the digital world should try as much as possible to get used to considering that the only way to be safe is to know how to be safe yourself.

I would always recommend using Metamask in any occasion to login to MEW or at least using a hardware wallet which guarantees more safety.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
sazon84

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:25:42 AM

To store ETH and ERC 20 tokens, it is safer to use hardware wallets.  The only caveat  - needs to order them only from official websites.  And do not buy them on ads on the Internet.  Since not all sellers are honest.

ETERBASE             Europe's Premier             ETERBASE
——————  Digital Asset Exchange  ——————
  Whitepaper    Telegram Twitter Discord      Announce 
btcyoda

Activity: 644

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:34:34 AM

To store ETH and ERC 20 tokens, it is safer to use hardware wallets.  The only caveat  - needs to order them only from official websites.  And do not buy them on ads on the Internet.  Since not all sellers are honest.

Exactly, what is the best website to buy the Hardware wallet for storing the ETH and ERC20, because recently we have seen many hacks and i could not able to find the best tezor for safeguarding my coins?
vitkamenev

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 12:40:15 PM

Just checked now, the link is true, green status, the certificate is valid. Perhaps this is danger for some countries.
If I use an extension like Metamask or loaded site MEW on my hard drive, is this safe in this case?
I am also interested in this question. I keep my MEW on the flash drive. Now I'm afraid to get into my wallet. I don't know how safe it is. On forum I have read that can be go. But friends say it's not necessary. Don't know what to do...
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4872

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:35:04 PM

Damn hackers! Why don't they use their technology to do something useful to others? Why should we steal the fruits of others' hard work? Disgusting behavior!

Devs need to hardfork those coins back! Right? Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
naidray
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 03:50:51 PM

Thanks for the warning man, I'll inform my friends about this and please spreed this news to your friends ASAP.
It was really crazy since I actually made a transaction on this date in transferring some of my tokens. I guess I must have been lucky as probably that would have been the worst day of my life if anything had happen.

Still, there has never been a day I make use of MEW without trying as much as possible to take note of that green padlock and even on any other site asides MEW as anything outside it makes entering a delicate stuff on the web makes it vulnerable. Indeed, this is a call to switch to a hardware wallet. Just a $100 for the safety of your asset is indeed worth it.
anjohyx

Activity: 451

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 03:58:08 PM

I'd honestly only suggest using a Ledger Nano S[ledgerwallet.com] or a Trezor[trezor.io]. They may be a bit expensive for you, but trust me. If you hold significant amounts of cryptocurrencies, it's definitely worth spending a bit of money for a hardware wallet. Security should always be a priority.
Expensive? No, hardware wallet not expensive and it's only cost below $100, that money in crypto market can't do anything, but it's a best option to prevent hacker steal your fund, I've use ledger nano s and currently don't have any issue

Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 05:11:01 PM

Expensive? No, hardware wallet not expensive and it's only cost below $100, that money in crypto market can't do anything, but it's a best option to prevent hacker steal your fund, I've use ledger nano s and currently don't have any issue

I agreed, $100 is definitely a good small investment to safeguard your coins which worth alot more than $100. Anyone holding crypto currencies for the the long term should consider getting a hardware wallet.
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:17:02 PM

There is an update in the MEW twitter regarding this problem and the team was working on it. It will be resolved asap. But i just found another thread that has been discussing this problem. It may better for you to read carefully before try to make a double post like this, but i appreciate this kind of awareness. 

Hey. I understand what you're saying. The reason I just posted this immediately because I didn't want to risk wasting a few more minutes in finding a similar post, as you may know, this is really really important and a 5 minute difference could potentially prevent a single(or multiple) investor for being screwed.
Nice one. You actually did the right thing. Posts like this cannot actually be too many as this is a way to quickly help the members of the community in making a terrible mistake and for the fact that you considered out of your time to make that happen is a plus. It is always good to watch our backs, and also good to always be security conscious. People should try as much as possible to find ways to get to their wallet without using the private keys, and most times, if there is no business of trying to withdraw, etherscan.io is there to check the content of your wallet.
mastersay

Activity: 322
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 02:41:30 AM

Thank you so much for the warning sir. Me also want to access the MEW at that date but I have an important matters to attend so I didnt successfully log in to MEW and I thank for it cause I then know that the MEW was hijacked. I think the MEW as of now is running and working already. Just make sure that you log in on the correct website.

HARA │ Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
4ernuy

Activity: 350

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 04:27:31 AM

Too often, MEW hacked this year, they need something to do with protection. Personally, I already went to Metamask, there things are better with this.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
Uncertaintea

Activity: 91

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:41:00 AM

Its unfortunate tha such things still happen and will keep happening as the hackers keep coming up with new ways to defraud you of your hard earned money, the blame cannot however be totally directed to MEW. WEB based wallets are vulnerable and a combined effort  from Both MEW and the users is the only way to ensure you are protected from the hackers. While MEW ensures that their systems are up to date and able to cub such attempts, The uses should put into consideration security measures such as avoidinging frequent log ins into the wallet which will expose your secret keys. or settle for a safer option i hardware wallets such as the ledger Nano s
GrandBcn

Activity: 275
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 05:39:35 AM

Now the world of the Internet is completely different, not the same as it was many years ago. Now there are black hackers, white hackers. This is a real war. In my opinion, most gifted people are engaged in hacking. Someone with a good purpose, someone for the purpose of fraud. I recently read about the almost proven theory of theft through electricity (without using the Internet). Sometimes I even fear how fast our world has been developing recently.
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:59:32 PM

One of the reasons why I do not like using my private key directly on MEW as this can easily be compromised and that warning when you are about to key in your private key alone is alarming. The thing is that this is something most people should have taken note by now and this is the reason I always prefer making use of metamask in doing transactions. I guess this is just some of the things we will keep seeing in this digital world.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: