Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:37:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feature request -- Option "Only generate coins when PC not in use for X minutes"  (Read 2573 times)
Misc (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 02:46:42 PM

I wasn't sure if I should post this topic here in "Project Development" or in "Development & Technical Discussion".  Maybe I'll post there too.

I would think surely others have requested a similar feature, but didn't find it by doing forum searches.  The one feature I would like to see is something to the effect of Coin Generation being on, but a setting/option that can be checked that tells Bitcoin to pause coin generation unless the computer/PC has not been in use for X minutes, where you can change the X value.  So, for example, one can set Bitcoin to pause (not generate bitcoins) unless the PC has not been in use for 2 minutes.  Obviously, the option would have no effect if coin generation is currently off (un-checked).

I like being able to throttle down the number of cores/processors being used, but I don't like only having the black and white of coin generation being on or off.  I personally don't want coin generation on all the time in most cases, but do want the Bitcoin program to take advantage of idle time where I leave the room for a few minutes here and there and don't put my PC to sleep or hibernation.  (I use Windows 7 primarily.)

I hope all of that makes sense.   Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 05:04:37 PM

I wasn't sure if I should post this topic here in "Project Development" or in "Development & Technical Discussion".  Maybe I'll post there too.

I would think surely others have requested a similar feature, but didn't find it by doing forum searches.  The one feature I would like to see is something to the effect of Coin Generation being on, but a setting/option that can be checked that tells Bitcoin to pause coin generation unless the computer/PC has not been in use for X minutes, where you can change the X value.  So, for example, one can set Bitcoin to pause (not generate bitcoins) unless the PC has not been in use for 2 minutes.  Obviously, the option would have no effect if coin generation is currently off (un-checked).

CPU mining is pretty useless.  The only work I see being put into the official bitcoin client would be to hide the Generate Coins option so that newbies don't trip over it.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Misc (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 05:50:49 PM

I respectfully disagree.  I don't want to see Bitcoin creating upwards of 30% or more CPU usage by just turning on Coin Generation, even with it set to use the least amount of processors/cores.  Sure, I can and have been turning Coin Generation on/off, but I would imagine more and more "common" users out there (not hardcore Bitcoin enthusiasts) might like to have the program more convenient and more "green" by only generating coins (and therefore taxing the CPU, using energy, and creating heat) when the system is idle for X time.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2011, 06:06:38 PM

CPU mining is pretty useless.
Only as useless as playing the lottery. That said, it would be a nice feature to have for the GPU miner programs.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 06:18:04 PM

I respectfully disagree.  I don't want to see Bitcoin creating upwards of 30% or more CPU usage by just turning on Coin Generation, even with it set to use the least amount of processors/cores.  Sure, I can and have been turning Coin Generation on/off, but I would imagine more and more "common" users out there (not hardcore Bitcoin enthusiasts) might like to have the program more convenient and more "green" by only generating coins (and therefore taxing the CPU, using energy, and creating heat) when the system is idle for X time.

When it takes a year to earn a single block, you are not being green.  You are spending $$$ in electricity, for a single 50 BTC block.

Any environmentalist with an iota of common sense will see this as pointlessly burning coal to generate wasted electricity.

Input your hash rate here to see how useless is CPU mining:  http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
mail2345

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 08:02:50 AM

What about puddingpop's mining screensaver?
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3030.0
Sawzall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 10:33:31 PM

What OS are you using? I know that the Windows Task Scheduler in Win7 has pretty powerful options for running tasks only when the system is idle. You could have this control an RPC mining program. If you want, I could probably write up a short tutorial on making this work.
SleepMachine

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 10:00:59 PM

I've created a C# program that can start any application after X amount of inactivity and end the application when the computer becomes active. With this you automatically start mining when a computer is idle and stop mining when someone wants to use the computer. The started application (miner) can also be made invisible (it doesn't create a window in the taskbar or systray), if wanted.

I use this for running miners on computers belonging to my relatives without their computers becoming sluggish when they want to use them for something computationally intensive.

I can post the application and source here if anyone is still interested.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: