Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:31:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warter cooling  (Read 1288 times)
bigjake52 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 01:40:37 AM

I am looking at warter cooling for my four graphics cards

one of them is an asus 5770 (This needs the cooling bad as its running in the 80s underclocked!

Two cards are ati radeon hd 6970 it would be nice to have the them Wc'd

and then my tower that is my main system uses an radeon hd 6870 form ati

so what am I looking at as I"m quite new to the whole bit mining and graphics card sceen  as im not a big pc gamer and such.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
scifimike12

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:57:21 AM

I take it you mean water cooling?

Anyways, it's only beneficial if temps are getting out of hand (especially at stock).  Water cooling requires a few things..

Pump
Radiator
Tubing
Fittings
Reservoir or fillport
GPU block or full coverage block

You can get tubing cheap.  Check out Amazon and look up Primochill.  I would advise looking at regular fittings and not compressions as they can be pricey.

Reservoirs are easy to bleed compared to fillports.   They aren't that expensive either if you know where to look.

The most expensive parts are your radiator, blocks, and pump.  Depending on your heat dump, you mean need several radiators in series.  Try looking at a Swiftech MCP355 as it has excellent head pressure for restrictive loops.

Another thing to be cautious of is your video card blocks.  It can be extremely troublesome if your card is non-reference as most block manufacturers won't specifically make a block for your card.  If that is the case, you can always resort to GPU only blocks and buy some aftermarket VRM heatsinks.

It may not be worth it to water cool.  I only do it for the fun of it and the fact that I've been doing it for years.  Thankfully I have a few cards under water in which I can overclock and still be within safe limits while mining.
bigjake52 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:52:15 AM

Well I"m manly at looking at geting my asus 5770 under 85.C and its undercloced, I have no clue whats good parts for this kind of stuff thats why im asking the fourm
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 06:50:23 AM

LOL @ warter cooling and manly at looking  Cheesy. don't be offended though, i'm not making fun of you, just what you said is funny.

anyways, a 5770 is not worth the premium costs of water cooling. you usually want to do this for high end cards either for overclocking or to reduce noise. ya underclocking a 5770 and still running in the 80s is pretty high. what specific 5770 do you have? maybe you should consider reseating the heatsink/cooler and redoing the thermal paste before jumping straight into water cooling. or consider just getting a differnt 5770, much cheaper than a whole custom water loop for a low end mining card (i'm assuming you're mining with it since this is the bitcoin forum)

xurious

Activity: 413
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:26:14 PM

I wouldn't water cool the 5770 either. A good aftermarket gpu cooler will cost FAR less (say $50 dollars for it) in setup costs and overall expenses. Or like the other guy said, trade it for a different one. Heck, sell the 5770 for $80, take the $100 dollars it'd cost for the water heatsink, and buy yourself a 5850 with that money which would nearly double your mh/s on that 5770..

If you are REALLY intent on going the water route (which is NOT anywhere near cost effective) then do yourself a favor and collect 2 or 3 junk air conditioners. Take the radiators out of those. They have lots of cooling for darn near free, compared to what you'd spend on some dinky 120x360mm purpose built radiator.

You will need a better pump though to push the extra water through, buy yourself something decent that puts out a few hundred GPM. Use 2 cooling loops and 2 loops through the radiators if you have to.

Depending on where you live, you could even move the radiator to outside your house, keeping your room nice and cool.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
bigjake52 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:12:50 PM

My room is my mining room and its about 25c where as outside its like 35ish
 I"ve redid the paste on the 5770 its an asus card and has the worst heatsnyc ever, it has a fan not blowing out side but inside and makes the air around it hoter then it should be

ive put a house fan by it and it seems to get a few degreses cooler if I had no fan pointed at the card it would be in the 90"s

all of my other cards are in the 70's and this is the only one in the mid 80"s

I rather just get this card cooling first, then see how it works

and then maby get to work on my main dedi miner, I know this card can pump out 215mhash but its only giving me about 180 as of the underclocking, and it sucks, majorly
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:16:56 PM

LOL @ warter cooling and manly at looking  Cheesy. don't be offended though, i'm not making fun of you, just what you said is funny.

There minus whale not even be a spell check. People seriously need to read the "Before posting on the internet" pan flip before they think about replying. I know the idea is mind bottling, but it'll help you out in the long run.  One of the french benefits of the diversity of our user base is we get all kinds of people who might use English as a primary language Smiley  But hey, my opinion is largely ear elephant.  It took me a good month or two before I mustard up enough courage to post here, and I'm doing asbestos I can.

Mousepotato
NF6X

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 03:27:32 AM

That was djinn you wine lee hill arias, MP.
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:12:37 PM

There minus whale not even be a spell check. People seriously need to read the "Before posting on the internet" pan flip before they think about replying. I know the idea is mind bottling, but it'll help you out in the long run.  One of the french benefits of the diversity of our user base is we get all kinds of people who might use English as a primary language Smiley  But hey, my opinion is largely ear elephant.  It took me a good month or two before I mustard up enough courage to post here, and I'm doing asbestos I can.

What?  Huh lol

i love the idea thats bottling your mind.

Infact, its even boggling my mind

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 06:32:46 PM

What?  Huh lol

whoosh

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 04:37:22 PM

What?  Huh lol

whoosh

Tongue

Mousepotato
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: