Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: scam  (Read 1013 times)
collingiusti (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:02:42 PM

if someone scamed bitcoins from me what do i do? can they get arrested or can i even press charges?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
IsaacGoldbourne

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Looking to start various enterprises

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:06:47 PM

if someone scamed bitcoins from me what do i do? can they get arrested or can i even press charges?
Depends how much it was for, what country you are in and what details on them you have.

Vote for me for CEO/CNO of MemoryCoin!
CEO: MVTEceoa86dYRsxc2rWCexBMjJmaawMkHZ
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm
collingiusti (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:08:33 PM

Depends how much it was for, what country you are in and what details on them you have.

lets say 1 btc, australia and their email/name
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:13:57 PM

If its fraud, go to the police.  Its no different from being scammed of jewels or any other property.
collingiusti (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:16:16 PM

If its fraud, go to the police.  Its no different from being scammed of jewels or any other property.

alot of world governments are pretty loose on laws relating to bitcoins, and many refuse to see it as a legit currency/.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:18:37 PM

Talk to the police, tell them an item of $1,000 in value has been stolen.

Are they in Perth by any chance...?
collingiusti (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:21:39 PM

Talk to the police, tell them an item of $1,000 in value has been stolen.

Are they in Perth by any chance...?

No they are in nother country. When i called the police they said there was nothing they can do
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:24:23 PM

No they are in nother country. When i called the police they said there was nothing they can do

Oh right, I thought they were in Australia. Yeah your residence matters less in this type of situation.

What country are they in? That is the most important variable, the police might just have been lazy.
collingiusti (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:31:09 PM

Oh right, I thought they were in Australia. Yeah your residence matters less in this type of situation.

What country are they in? That is the most important variable, the police might just have been lazy.

I believe italy
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:38:29 PM

I believe italy

Damn.

It will cost much more than $1,000 to bring the person to justice and get your coin back.

Even if you lost up to $10,000 I reckon you would be better moving on.

For sums $20,000 and upwards I would recommend you pursue the fellow, probably hire a lawyer in Italy and see what the options are.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:54:28 PM

I believe italy

Money is gone.
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:55:16 PM

I believe italy

Damn.

It will cost much more than $1,000 to bring the person to justice and get your coin back.

Even if you lost up to $10,000 I reckon you would be better moving on.

For sums $20,000 and upwards I would recommend you pursue the fellow, probably hire a lawyer in Italy and see what the options are.

To be fair, couldn't you take him to court, sue him and include lawyer fees?   Might be a way to recover what you lost + pay for your legal expenses. 

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:00:08 PM

To be fair, couldn't you take him to court, sue him and include lawyer fees?   Might be a way to recover what you lost + pay for your legal expenses. 

I am not sure, I think you can get a little amount back in an Italian court but not the entire cost. I could very well be wrong.
IsaacGoldbourne

Activity: 112

Looking to start various enterprises

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 07:38:52 PM

The rule of thumb is it has to be 5 digits to be worth going abroad.

6 digits to a whole separate continent.

Not worth it, its a shame but that just how it is. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Vote for me for CEO/CNO of MemoryCoin!
CEO: MVTEceoa86dYRsxc2rWCexBMjJmaawMkHZ
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm
collingiusti (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

I believe italy

Money is gone.

Yeah I talked to a lawyer and he said it would only be worth it to take him to small claims court if we were both in the same country. Other wise its only good to go to court for over $35,000 in Italy as there are customs fees I would have to cover for out of country Law suite. If any feels generious i would be greatful for some donations to get me back on my feet in the Bitcoin world.

1KphmSKXH73Hhsr1smB5arse3s6BKXR4A3
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:53:42 PM

Yeah I talked to a lawyer and he said it would only be worth it to take him to small claims court if we were both in the same country. Other wise its only good to go to court for over $35,000 in Italy as there are customs fees I would have to cover for out of country Law suite. If any feels generious i would be greatful for some donations to get me back on my feet in the Bitcoin world.

Haha I would love to donate but have lost hundreds of Bitcoin already this year. Sad
collingiusti (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:59:03 PM

Haha I would love to donate but have lost hundreds of Bitcoin already this year. Sad

Yeah that 1 bitcoin was all I had. Worked hard for it, and was really proud when I hit 1 BTC.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:40:41 PM

Yeah that 1 bitcoin was all I had. Worked hard for it, and was really proud when I hit 1 BTC.

Well you can still be proud of having earned it. Keep at it, learn to WoT, learn how to watch out for scams, and don't let this sorta thing happen again.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: