Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 01:51:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My buddy is getting a divorce. Can the court seize half of his bitcoins?  (Read 14292 times)
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 11:07:48 PM

Well , I don't know how that goes but if he denies in court that he has any other bitcoins(valuables) in his possession and after he is released he gets caught using them , well , isn't he going back to court for another round?

Not if he gets asylum in North Korea or Russia (or more realistically in Venezuela or Cuba).

There are many more countries that dont have an extradition treaty with the US.
He could just travel between them forever on normal VISAs.
Didn't they stop a president's plane while it was over another country for suspicion he was smuggling Snowden to the LA?

It was the Bolivian president and he was certainly not flying to LA.
You simply have to avoid US loving countries airspace.
And i doubt they would pull a stunt like this again anyway.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 11:14:57 PM

First I think it is crazy that a court can make you share your assets with your ex-wife. You guys have some crazy laws in your part of the planet. I hear Berlusconni has to pay millions of Euros every month to his ex-wife as "alimony". I just don't see what the justification is for something like that.

But yeah your courts are strong and they will make your friend pay up. Bitcoins are considered money now and hiding assets there is no excuse. We learned that when the SEC charged pirate.

Berlusconi pays to his ex wife exactly 100k eur per day (3 million eur per month). Cheesy

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 11:22:05 PM

Well , I don't know how that goes but if he denies in court that he has any other bitcoins(valuables) in his possession and after he is released he gets caught using them , well , isn't he going back to court for another round?

Not if he gets asylum in North Korea or Russia (or more realistically in Venezuela or Cuba).

There are many more countries that dont have an extradition treaty with the US.
He could just travel between them forever on normal VISAs.
Didn't they stop a president's plane while it was over another country for suspicion he was smuggling Snowden to the LA?

Latin America, not Los Angeles.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:11:28 AM

The Americans pulled up that stunt because Snowden was in the possession of national secrets. But I don't think that they will do the same to someone, who is just running away from his ex-wife.
eoJ

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:24:41 AM

Who needs lawyers, just ask Bitcointalk, you can't lose...

Not if he claimed he gambled it all away on satoshi dice?
That will go down well when it comes to custody.
EnderHf

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:21:41 AM

Yeah the court does have that power the best way for this to roll out is if your friend sells his btc to his parents or a friend that he can trust and once the divorce is over get them back
hanwong

Activity: 73

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:21:56 PM

Who needs lawyers, just ask Bitcointalk, you can't lose...

+1

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 10:17:53 AM

Yeah the court does have that power the best way for this to roll out is if your friend sells his btc to his parents or a friend that he can trust and once the divorce is over get them back

No. The divorce proceedings have already started. Now he can't do that. May be before the proceedings it was possible.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:40:28 AM

my college roommate is now a successful executive. 3 months ago he found out his wife was fxxking a black guy behind his back and his 5-year-old daughter.

since then he has kept quiet and converted as much asset as possible to about 850 bitcoins.

he just sprung the divorce on his ex-wife and now her lawyer is arguing he must have much more money than he claims to be.

the judge ordered he must turn over all his assets to give one half to his ex-wife.

does the court have right of access to his bitcoin wallet?

Make sure to confuse these issues proper. If you live in Texas, claim you're living in China, and if the wife fucked a hispanic dude, claim it was an eskimo, and if you have a daughter, claim you have 3 sons, that way those lawyers can't trace you here. :p
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 06:13:02 PM

my college roommate is now a successful executive. 3 months ago he found out his wife was fxxking a black guy behind his back and his 5-year-old daughter.

since then he has kept quiet and converted as much asset as possible to about 850 bitcoins.

he just sprung the divorce on his ex-wife and now her lawyer is arguing he must have much more money than he claims to be.

the judge ordered he must turn over all his assets to give one half to his ex-wife.

Yes.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:17:08 PM

Must be really fucked to have a wife, and she cheats on you with another dude.
And you still have to pay 50% of your assets because you married her.
Isnt there something so he doesnt have to pay anything because she cheated?
Im sure you cant cheat on your partner when your married, and when you want to divorce her because she cheated, there must be other rules for that?
btcbug

Activity: 399

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:40:38 PM

If he does not disclose all of his assets and it is later found that he knowingly withheld that information he would go to prison.

He could, however, list it among a long list of items such as this:

Lexus
18 Ping Golf clubs
1 Lenovo with 2Gig of Ram, 300 BTC, 2.4 GHz CPU, 2TB SSD
1 iPhone 4
100 BTU space heater

Lol that is good!
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:44:03 PM

Life sucks if you have a penis buddy.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER get married, ever.  60-70% chance they take half your shit and continue too for a long time.  Never get married not worth the risk one bit.
scribbles

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:49:17 PM

The OP leaves out a key piece of information - how were the bitcoins acquired?

If they were acquired through a method not connected to financial institutions reviewable by the court (mining, person to person, payment for services, etc.) then in the US he could just turn over all financial documents, outside of BTC, through his lawyer and stay quiet.

However, if he purchased coin through an exchange like coinbase, there will be a paper trail and the court can hold him in contempt. Saying it was stolen will be too convenient of an explanation and the judge may still hold him in contempt.

All this being said, it's an interesting topic but the post doesn't sound real. I also don't understand how being "a black guy" is relevant, unless the OP is racist and somehow sees this as an additional insult to the cheating.

▄▄███████▄▄
        ▄███▀▀
▄▄▄▄    ▀▄
     ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▀▄
  ▄▀▀██▀           ▀▀██▄▄▀▄
▄▀  ██                 ▀██
  ██       ▀▀█▀▀         █
█▀        █ █ █        ▄█▀▄
▀▄         █ █ █       ▄█  █
 ██         █▄▄▄█      ▄█  ▄▀
  ██▄                ▄█▀  ▄▀
  ▀▄▀██▄▄          ▄█▀  ▄▀
   ▀▄ ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UTRUST▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
●  Download WHITEPAPER  ●
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▼ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
facebook      twitter      slack
▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
redwhitenblue

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:50:09 AM

It would not be possible to seize BTC that your former roommate has in his wallet.

With that being said in the event that a Judge finds that he did in fact hide assets (or not comply with an order to give assets to his former wife) then he could be held in contempt of court (put in jail) until he complies.

Personally I would not risk my freedom for a few hundred thousand dollars (or even millions of dollars).
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:36:33 AM

NEVER EVER EVER EVER get married, ever.  60-70% chance they take half your shit and continue too for a long time.  Never get married not worth the risk one bit.

A prenuptial agreement will protect you if you have a lot of income/assets.

The OP should not hide assets. The court cannot force you to give an exwife BTC but can hold you in contempt if you hide assets and/or do not pay what the court rules must be paid.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:11:43 AM

The OP should not hide assets. The court cannot force you to give an exwife BTC but can hold you in contempt if you hide assets and/or do not pay what the court rules must be paid.

Horseshit.

Bitcoin has been defined as property and the court can do just what the fuck it wants with property.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:32:00 AM

Horseshit.

Bitcoin has been defined as property and the court can do just what the fuck it wants with property.

Pretty much this. I worked in my father in laws office during the summer while I was in college. You would be amazed at some of the ideas people thought made sense about hiding property. If she knows about the BTC he will have to account for it. 

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 08:33:40 AM

^ She won't know about btc, she's just a women  Cheesy

Joking aside, it really depends on what assets he sold and how he sold it. If the asset was gold/silver and he sold and took in cash, which then later bought btc with cash, then it's a paperless trail and can easily get away with. Now if he sold a house or anything very hard to hide, then the court can follow where the money went, and will question where it ended up.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 10:15:26 AM

keeping it realisting, i believe they have the right... BUT .. just backup wallet to some usb and create a new one
say how that is your wallet now, old one was hacked.. tada!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: