Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:45:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about shorting bitcoins right now  (Read 1984 times)
accord01 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:14:27 AM

it is @ 1030 stamp, and 1100 gox... thinking that we may have reached a top right now for the next 7-10 days.  Your thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 09:18:44 AM

dont fucking short btc you idiots
Bitbuy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:22:19 AM

it is @ 1030 stamp, and 1100 gox... thinking that we may have reached a top right now for the next 7-10 days.  Your thoughts?

I don't think we've seen the top this week....1300 USD might be achieved.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 09:30:21 AM

It's going to 1430 (gox) before the next pull back.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
accord01 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:35:09 AM

maybe i am just really salty right now.  this weekend manipulation/crash/correction just ruined my holidays...  Had a nice position going and it got liquidated/destoryed because 1) the platform i used was shut down/ddos 2) it happened during early sunday morning...

not sure what to do now... i want to find a good position to enter in so i can at least make back my gift money for other people... lol.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:36:35 AM

This.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 09:37:14 AM

Wait for me to move some BTC for you to borrow at a high percentage before you do.

Though the fact that the return is usually only around 2% APY means that hardly anyone ever shorts.

For good reason.

MtGox at $1140 now.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:46:07 AM

From my short experience, Tuesdays new money arrives and ATH´s get reached. From my short experience, if you have balls, friday/saturday is time to sell. People here are saying "dont ever sell on weekends" but I think exactly the oposit.
bitleif

Activity: 351

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:30:33 AM

maybe i am just really salty right now.  this weekend manipulation/crash/correction just ruined my holidays...  Had a nice position going and it got liquidated/destoryed because 1) the platform i used was shut down/ddos 2) it happened during early sunday morning...

Go read some Eckhart Tolle or something and soak it up. Shorting after a failed crash will only lose you more money.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 10:34:38 AM

maybe i am just really salty right now.  this weekend manipulation/crash/correction just ruined my holidays...  Had a nice position going and it got liquidated/destoryed because 1) the platform i used was shut down/ddos 2) it happened during early sunday morning...

not sure what to do now... i want to find a good position to enter in so i can at least make back my gift money for other people... lol.

That was a perfect 50% retrace, that's the opportunity to get long.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:45:42 PM

From my short experience, Tuesdays new money arrives and ATH´s get reached. From my short experience, if you have balls, friday/saturday is time to sell. People here are saying "dont ever sell on weekends" but I think exactly the oposit.

This is an astute observation. The weekend dip seems to happen consistently when Bitcoin is in rally mode - you can generally make 20% if you sell on Friday and buy back over the weekend (usually Sunday). This was exactly the same back in April.

Of course, it works like a charm until it doesn't - If you buy back one Sunday only to find it continues on downwards in the week, don't panic. Simply hold and wait for it to go back up in the long term.
GigaCoin

Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:00:39 PM

This is an astute observation. The weekend dip seems to happen consistently when Bitcoin is in rally mode - you can generally make 20% if you sell on Friday and buy back over the weekend (usually Sunday). This was exactly the same back in April.

Of course, it works like a charm until it doesn't - If you buy back one Sunday only to find it continues on downwards in the week, don't panic. Simply hold and wait for it to go back up in the long term.

Yeah i tried that an April, but i just kinda said fuck it at some point and did the old school buy and hold worked like a charm.

zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:05:42 PM

Weekends in November:

2 - 3      -      mostly flat
9 - 10    - rally on 9th correction on 10th - overall mostly flat
16 - 17  - rally
23 - 24  - rally with a correction - overall maybe a small dip
31 - 1    - now this was a dip

And the previous big correction was on a Tuesday.

There used to be some more complicated forumla for predicting when the weekend dip will happen - but I don't think it works much better. It is not so easy to earn on these weekend dips.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:46:51 PM

Be very careful leveraging in either direction. Market can swing both ways massively.  Smarter and smarter groups with big money is emerging and hunting for n00b stops will become common.

Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:01:31 PM

I'd still say buy and hold is the best strategy. I have lost a lot of trades in BTC/USD. Fortunately, I have more than made up for these losses by trading various alts (mainly Litecoin).

I no longer trade BTC/USD.
GriTBitS

Activity: 448

“A decentralized registry for unique assets”

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:21:09 PM

Shorting in a bull market is a fools game!

▄▄█████████                                                                                   
 ██▀       ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
██         ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██         ██                                                                                ▀█▄
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██         ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄     ████████▄     █████████   ▀██▄  ▄██▀           ██
██         ██       ▄██▀    ▀▀   ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ██     ▀██▄   ██            ██████             ██
██         ██       ██▀          ██      ██    ██      ▀██   ██▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀██▀              ██
██         ██       ███          ██▄    ▄██    ██      ▄██   ██            ▄████▄             ██
██         ██        ▀██▄▄▄▄██    ▀██▄▄██▀     ██▄▄▄▄▄██▀    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██▀  ▀██            ██
██▄██████████          ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀           ██
███▀                                                                                          ██
██                                                                                            ██
▀█▄                                                                                           ██
 ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀████
                                                                                    ██       ▀██
                                                                                    ██       ▄██
                                                                                    ██      ▄██
                                                                                    ███████▀▀   
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █
█ █

*   Collect with Trust   *
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
 █ █
 █ █

antimattercrusader

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:23:22 AM

lmao yes, this is a good point. I'd hate to short at 1050 and then realize an news story came out regarding Justin Bieber using bitcoin to buy his coke, and check bitcoinity to see it's at 3k. FUCK.

Too much potential upside.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
GriTBitS

Activity: 448

“A decentralized registry for unique assets”

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:10:59 AM

lmao yes, this is a good point. I'd hate to short at 1050 and then realize an news story came out regarding Justin Bieber using bitcoin to buy his coke, and check bitcoinity to see it's at 3k. FUCK.

Too much potential upside.

Someone send Bieber some bitcoin!

▄▄█████████                                                                                   
 ██▀       ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
██         ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██         ██                                                                                ▀█▄
██         ██         ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄     ████████▄     █████████   ▀██▄  ▄██▀           ██
██         ██       ▄██▀    ▀▀   ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ██     ▀██▄   ██            ██████             ██
██         ██       ██▀          ██      ██    ██      ▀██   ██▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀██▀              ██
██         ██       ███          ██▄    ▄██    ██      ▄██   ██            ▄████▄             ██
██         ██        ▀██▄▄▄▄██    ▀██▄▄██▀     ██▄▄▄▄▄██▀    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██▀  ▀██            ██
██▄██████████          ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀           ██
███▀                                                                                          ██
██                                                                                            ██
▀█▄                                                                                           ██
 ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀████
                                                                                    ██       ▀██
                                                                                    ██       ▄██
                                                                                    ██      ▄██
                                                                                    ███████▀▀   
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █
█ █

*   Collect with Trust   *
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
 █ █
 █ █

TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:37:20 AM

Keep your liquidation price well below the bottom of the previous correction.  I had mine at 350 and then when the correction started I sold enough to drop it to 180.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:24:30 AM

Historically shorting bitcoin hasn't been very profitable.  You're braver than me if you do it!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: