Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:30:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoins = tulips  (Read 3537 times)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 04:23:42 PM

Maybe someone needs to make a tulipcoin for all these tulip whiners to buy Cheesy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tunctioncloud

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:39:16 PM

Maybe it's because I'm not a btc expert and therefore not able to verify his blogs today;
1) he claims he has bitcoin.

No, it seems he sold all bitcoins already. Why hold when you think bitcoins = tulips  Huh
gochk (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:42:12 PM

Maybe it's because I'm not a btc expert and therefore not able to verify his blogs today;
1) he claims he has bitcoin.

No, it seems he sold all bitcoins already. Why hold when you think bitcoins = tulips  Huh

Yes, he "have had"
" Hell, I’ve had a bitcoin wallet since 2011, when I parked a few hundred bucks in it when it was at $8 a BTC. "
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:52:41 PM

Maybe someone needs to make a tulipcoin for all these tulip whiners to buy Cheesy.

Tulipcoin:

- Tulipcoins expire after a certain period of time.
- Only Tulipcoin holders can mine (cultivate?) more Tulipcoins in a process (based on hashing power or something similar) that destroys the original Tulipcoin
- Tulipcoins come in different varieties (think of levels), increasing in rareness. There is a random chance of generating a rarer Tulip through mining. Once mined, that rarer Tulipcoin can then generate other copies of itself, and a chance of an even rarer Tulipcoin.
- The rarer the Tulipcoin is, the less time before they expire, the longer it takes to mine a new one, and less are mined

That actually sounds like a really interesting experiment. I'm sure there's a way to replicate the tulipbulb mania in cryptocurrency by developing "varieties" or "levels of rarity" within a coin. If I had the programming chops, and the time to do it, I'd put some effort into programming that, lol.
pollsteer23

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:54:43 PM

The tulip mania was caused by the gov banning shorting then later changing the contract rules. Also no money or tulips ever exchanged hands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:00:24 PM

Tulips are a multi-billion dollar industry in Holland today - people who write these articles should be writing about the dodo if they want to talk about failure - the Tulip is one of the most successful flowers on the planet.
Even the orchid pales in comparison to the economic triumph that is the tulip.
over1977v

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:04:33 PM

Tulipcoin:

- Tulipcoins expire after a certain period of time.
- Only Tulipcoin holders can mine (cultivate?) more Tulipcoins in a process (based on hashing power or something similar) that destroys the original Tulipcoin
- Tulipcoins come in different varieties (think of levels), increasing in rareness. There is a random chance of generating a rarer Tulip through mining. Once mined, that rarer Tulipcoin can then generate other copies of itself, and a chance of an even rarer Tulipcoin.
- The rarer the Tulipcoin is, the less time before they expire, the longer it takes to mine a new one, and less are mined

That actually sounds like a really interesting experiment. I'm sure there's a way to replicate the tulipbulb mania in cryptocurrency by developing "varieties" or "levels of rarity" within a coin. If I had the programming chops, and the time to do it, I'd put some effort into programming that, lol.

It seems more to me as game and not as currency you can use (especially the expiration thing)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 4370

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:06:31 PM

tulip bulbs can be grown, and regrown. so theres no fixed quantity.

the whole tulip mania started because the first introduction of tulips into europe was rare, with only a small number of bulbs at first. everyone wanted them, then as years passed the supplies increased. so of course there became a point where it became common for everyone to have tulips thus devaluing it because everyone could grow their own.

bitcoin is fixed meaning there wont be anymore beyond that amount (21m). and with such high difficulty and such a large population base. not everyone can successfully mine sufficient amounts personally to sell for a nice lifestyle, so buying them is still and will continue to exceed natural supply growth while we reach the 21million.

bitcoins can in no way be compared to tulips and if a economist thinks they can then he has miss spelled his profession. and should be a ecologist, and go back to gardening.

that being said..
generic tulip bulbs can be bought 400 years later for £5 in the uk ($7.50) which is more expensive then feather coin or terracoin, and rare tulips bulbs can exceed the price of litecoin.

so i wouldnt call the tulip mania a complete disaster. the only failing is that there was no limited and finite supply to ensure value continued to rise, along with demand

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
pollsteer23

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:15:16 PM

tulip bulbs can be grown, and regrown. so theres no fixed quantity.

the whole tulip mania started because the first introduction of tulips into europe was rare, with only a small number of bulbs at first. everyone wanted them, then as years passed the supplies increased. so of course there became a point where it became common for everyone to have tulips thus devaluing it because everyone could grow their own.

Franky read the wikipedia page and sources. Your backstory to the tulips appears to be incorrect.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:18:31 PM

Wait , there was no limit on the number of tulips?
I think that we just solved the hunger problem on earth.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 05:47:42 PM

God damnit I knew I shouldn't have suggested that idea as a joke Sad
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 06:07:32 PM

Naysayers, Doomsayers all crying "Wolf!"

Well, wolves are better people than most people, so nine times out of ten I'll take a wolf over a person and I speak from experience.

I think the author is just jealous of people who are making more money than he is and who are definitely happer than he is!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:32:13 PM

I think the blogger is using tulips because as you know, tulips bloom and then dies. That's what happens to the ones on my flower bed anyway. So he's essentially saying, bitcoin will "bloom" but then it'll die off - which he advises people not to get into it and to sell what they have.

Actually that is kinda poetic but the guy refers to the tulipomania a well know economic bubble that happened like 500 years ago  Tongue
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 07:32:57 AM

tulips are a ponzi scheme in the form of pyramid bubbles

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:49:09 AM

Bitcoins are a good store of wealth.
Tulips perish, so obviously that idea was doomed from the start.

BitcoinTraderFX

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 07:54:32 AM

I'm not sure I agree with the premise. Bitcoin has a use as a currency, and is being used as an alternative holding vehicle (like gold). Tulips were a perishable.

So long as other people begin adopting bitcoin, it will continue to be accumulated, and drive the value up.

If people abandon bitcoin altogether, then it could drop in value.

: )

cj

www.QuantTech.us -- Artificially Intelligent Adaptive Algorithmic Trading Systems
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:06:44 AM

While generally agreeing that tulips and bitcoin are nowhere near the same thing, we are still currently expanding the bitcoin supply.  If you exclude satoshi wallets, lost wallets, and other frozen coins like fbi stash and some super long term bull holders then bitcoin supply is currently expanding at a rate of probably between 10-20% per year.  So currently we are certainly growing more bitcoins.  And I won't even mention litecoin since that didn't even half yet.

spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 09:58:12 AM

I see where he's coming from.

Tulips are:

• Limited in supply by a distributed consensus computer protocol
  • Tulip network can be used to send other tulips to people anywhere else in the world, and can be received instantly
  • Tulips comprise a software construct of a wallet of public and private keys to allow the Tulip user to securely send, receive and store their Tulips
  • Mining new Tulips involves trial and error guessing of the value of 2 SHA-256 hashes of the previous block of Tulips in the blockchain

The similarities are pretty startling, case closed.

haha laughed hard at this

Society doesn't scale.
Lewis2

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:32:17 AM

Fuck this shit I'm going all tulips

toy4lov3rs

Activity: 375

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

So long as other people begin adopting bitcoin, it will continue to be accumulated, and drive the value up.

If people abandon bitcoin altogether, then it could drop in value.

I agree, there might be correction but never crash to single digits if bitcoin will be used
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: