Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:40:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmex Tips - How to not lose your house and maybe even make some money  (Read 898 times)
allmeat27 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 28

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 03:01:41 PM
Merited by jeffthebaker (3), Nivir (1), squallw (1)

I’ve had a ridiculous experience with Bitmex, both fun and depressing, but I think I’m finally getting a grip on it, so I wanted to share some things I’ve learned. For clarity, when I first started using Bitmex, I lost about 3 BTC over the course of a month because I had no idea what I was doing and I’m an idiot. Since then however, I’ve taken .06 BTC and I’m currently at 2.7 BTC from Bitmex alone in a few weeks. It has the potential to make you rich, but also super broke. Do not take it lightly.

If you've never used Bitmex before, you can read my original newbie guide on how to start using Bitmex here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/84stai/bitmex_for_dummies_leveraged_trading_longshorts/

Also a reminder, you get 10% off fees if you sign up with a referral code. If you already signed up and didn’t use one, email support and ask them to apply one, it's pretty quick and definitely worth the 2 minute hassle. Would appreciate if you use mine, but just make sure you use something to get the 10% off: "http://bitmex.com/register/BCCNeF"

1. Maker vs Taker: I wasted SO much money on fees originally before I knew about this. Market buying/selling means you pay a fee and based on the last point that is very expensive. If you set limit orders and choose the "post-only" option, you will only place an order if it doesn't execute immediately. If the price hits your mark, you'll actually receive fees rather than paying them. While that seems super small, as mentioned when working with high leverages it adds up a LOT. Fees are based on leverage, so if you’re cross or 100x, you’d literally pay 7.5% just to open an order. At 100k contracts, this is nearly .01 BTC.
2. Cross Leverage: Far left on the leverage slider. This is 100x leverage, but it uses your entire wallet balance as margin. If you have 1 BTC and you open a position worth .1 BTC, on normal 100x leverage, your liquidation would be ~$60 away from your entry price. With Cross, you have .9 BTC as margin, meaning your liquidation would be about $600 away from your entry. Nearly everybody uses this because it helps guard against those fluctuations where you have the right call, but you got liquidated right before. It does mean you can lose 300% or 700% of your money though, so be warned, use stop losses.
3. Funding: In the bottom left of Bitmex, there’s a “Funding Rate”. Every now and then, this will get ridiculously high (i.e. if everyone is longing, and no one is shorting) and play a massive part in the landscape. If the fee is positive and you have a long open, you will pay that fee every 8 hours. If you have a short open in that situation, you get paid that fee. On 100k contracts and a .2 fee, this is .02 BTC, which isn’t bad at all. More importantly beyond the fee though is the pump/dump around it. In the case of a positive .2 fee, the price on Bitmex will tank ~30 minutes before funding (because everyone is closing their longs to avoid the fee) and the second that funding goes through it will skyrocket. Often times it’s worth it to pay the fee just for the price bump afterwards, but I’d honestly recommend just having no position if there’s a massive funding fee coming up.
4. DCA and Small loss vs Big one: There’s two schools of thought to a losing trade. You can dollar cost average, meaning, if I enter long at $9500 and it goes down, I can add more at $9400 to get my entry to $9450. This sometimes works beautifully if you truly believe it goes up. However, the flipside to that is that you add at $9400 and it then goes to $9200. That’s nearly a 300% loss. Adding at stoploss at let’s say $9430 would have lost you 80% instead. But there are times where your stop loss triggers and it shoots up right after. You need to make a decision in these situations how you’re going to handle it. I’ve done days where I make .2 BTC four days in a row and feel great, but then lose 1 BTC all because of one bad trade I refused to get out of and it’s all nullified.
5. Wait for entry and pre-set orders: Bitmex swings HARD. If Bitfinex has a $100 candle, Bitmex may have a $200 candle, solely because of overloaded blocking people from new orders meaning only orders on the books before the big candle are counted. Never, ever, ever, try to catch a candle. By the time your order goes through, it’s too late and you’ll likely be stuck with a terrible entry as it’s about to retrace. Additionally, use this to your advantage. If you expect a $100 pump, put your take profit close at $170 above, or a take profit earlier and then open a short at $170 above with expectations for a retrace. Even outside these large pumps, jumping into a wave is almost always a bad idea. If you miss an entry, just be patient. Missed profit is better than losing money.
6.Signals: You should learn how to do your own TA, but there’s also lots of Twitter guys/Discord groups that provide signals. One thing you’ll find is they never agree on anything. Don’t trust any single person because every single one will brag about how much money they’re making, but they can and will be wrong. Use them as guidelines, but not gospel
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 06:55:21 PM

Sitting out most of the day today. 9500 is an interesting range where we will either test 9100 or pump back up to test 10k again. Not worth the risk other than small scalps.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 05:39:51 PM

Tough position today. Longing 9050 and shorting 9300 probably.
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 07:14:45 PM

Tough position today. Longing 9050 and shorting 9300 probably.

I would imagine long at 8700 and shorts at any position above 9160. We still depend on good news for a steady climb.

https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/BTCUSD/technicals/

turbulence

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 08:21:46 PM

Good topic, will be following

███
     ███
    ███
   ███
  ███
 ███
███
███
 ███
  ███
   ███
    ███
     ███
      ███
        ▄▄███████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████
  ███████████████████████████████
 ████████   ▀██████████▀▄▄▀███████         ███          ███       ▐█▌     █████████████   █████████▄       ███     ███       ███
█████████     ▀████████ ▀▀ ████████        ████        ████       ███     ▀▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀   ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄     ███      ███     ███
█████████  █▄   ▀█▀  ███  █████████        █████      █████      █████         ███        ███      ▀██▌    ███       ███▄ ▄███
█████████  ███▄     ▄███  █████████        ██████    ██████     ██▌ ▐██        ███        ███       ██▌    ███        ███████
█████████  ███▀ ▄█▄ ▀███  █████████        ███▀███▄▄███▀███    ███   ███       ███        ███     ▄███     ███        ███████
█████████  ███  ███  ███  █████████        ███  ▀████▀  ███   ███     ███      ███        ███    ████      ███       ███▀ ▀███
 ███████ ▄▄ ██  ▀█▀  ███  ████████         ███    ▀▀    ███  ███       ███     ███        ███     ▀███     ███      ███     ███
  ██████▄▀▀▄███▄   ▄████  ███████          ███          ███  ██         ██     ███        ███       ███    ███     ███       ███
    ███████████████████████████
      ███████████████████████
        ▀▀███████████████▀▀

The Intelligent Blockchain
▬▬  Pre-ICO: January 4th  |  ICO: January 16th

ANN  News  Scene  Showcase
██  Whitepaper:  Bussines | Technical  ██
Facebook  Twitter  Github  Telegram

███
 ███
  ███
   ███
    ███
     ███
      ███
      ███
     ███
    ███
   ███
  ███
 ███
███
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 03:48:43 PM

Admittedly did horrible the last few days. Kept expecting a bounce, but never got one. Always use stop-losses! Hoping for 8450 then bounce for now.
fia_naila

Activity: 770
Merit: 258

The Standart Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 06:46:27 PM

If you wont lose your house fast dont trade using laverage or if you really need to do laverage dont go very big laverage. As far as i know people always lose trading using laverage because you will be forced to close your poaition if your margin is not enough.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
TheStandard.io█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:17:39 PM

Shorting at 8700 if it hits it today. Tight SL around 8750 in case it decides to go nuts.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:37:02 PM

Allmeat27 posts some good information here.  If you are new to this take it to heart.  As always, read up on the coins you want to invest in and get to know them.
CrypticGambit

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Operating System for DAOs

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 08:47:15 PM

Nice guide but please don't tell people to trade at 100x leverege. Noobs should just play without any leverage to get familar with the platform then start using leverege but no higher than 5x leverage.

allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 03:02:39 AM

Short at 8700 certainly did well! Layering longs from 8k to 7.8k for a bounce.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:59:41 PM

Long range didn't hit unfortunately, but crazy day riding pumps and dumps. Great day to demonstrate the massive amount of money you can make (or lose!) from bitmex. Shorting from 8400 to 8k now.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 01:18:55 AM

7.8k still not hit unfortunately. No trade zone IMO right now, waiting for either 8350 to confirm up or 8100 to confirm down.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 05:06:29 AM

Shorting to 8350. Longing there to 8800ish for the final wave down after that!
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 05:42:06 AM

Short worked out well, but not feeling as confident about 8800. May sit out for a bit and see what happens. Waiting for an 8450 break or an 8100 break.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 03:52:39 PM

Longing 7650. This bear run is nasty though.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 04:11:56 AM

Great success playing between 7400 and 7300. Keep tight SLs on your longs though, should still be overall bearish.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 05:05:37 AM

Looking to short between 7600 and 7800
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 06:40:48 PM

Unfortunately never hit my targets before this dump. Sitting out for now, kind of a no trade zone.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 02:31:14 AM

Longing 7250, shorting 7800.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: