Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:37:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me take [btc] at my wood oven pizza restaurant in Brooklyn NY  (Read 1567 times)
brooklynbtc (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:17:26 AM

Hi All

I posted this in the newb earlier today, but there seems to be less traffic in there.

I am the general manager for a cool, busy, and top ten rated pizza restaurant in Brooklyn NY. I am trying to get the owner to agree to accept BTC, but first I need to sort out some things..

We use a Microsoft based touch screen Point Of Sale system, and of course it doesn't support Btc. I even called the support desk, and they weren't even sure what I was talking about.

All our sales MUST go through the POS, so the items will be entered in there, taxes paid, etc..

The SIMPLEST way would be for me to convert the price of the check using Preev or whatever, then request that amount on my phone, have the person scan and pay me, and then I could pay their check with my credit card, earning points on my CC and accumulating Btc that I could then sell or hold as I saw fit.

This works only when I'm at the restaurant, so nights off, etc, we would have a break in the chain.

IDEALLY  I would like the POS to print the price in USD and Btc, and even stick a QR code on the receipt? As well work towards a payment processor that could take the Btc and hold or convert, much like coinbase does for online sales.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Any thoughts on convincing the owner to take the plunge?

Any other people out there running retail sales with Btc? How do you do it?

How about a show of support from the crowd?

Maybe send a few satoshis here 14SFhT9Wp1wbHo8LonPiEJ3c3ZeurXh6ZR and I'll show him the demand for pizza..

And if you're in Clinton Hill, I will accept payment directly for PIZZA delivered RIGHT NOW!

SN
S   U   P   E   R    N   E   T
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   
Uniting cryptocurrencies, Rewarding talent, Sharing benefits..

Blockchain Technology.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Walking Glitch

Activity: 252

Amateur Professional

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:46:15 AM

If you can get the POS system to print out a unique QR code on each receipt, you could have it print a code for a bitpay address, and then they can scan the code off the receipt, and once they pay, you can give them the receipt and the product.
brooklynbtc (OP)

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:49:27 AM

Hey WalkingGlitch

Thanks for the idea, but that would involve some pretty deep level integration wouldn't it?

The unique QR code would have to connect to wallet right?

SN

Blockchain Technology.

newtothescene

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:50:19 AM

Interested to see if anyone has ideas for this.  QR code on the receipt seems like a great idea, but it sounds like the problem is the lack of software integration with what is already in place for this Point of Sale machine.  
BryanK

Activity: 812

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:51:02 AM

https://coinkite.com

Ahhhh the power of GOOGLE!
BryanK

Activity: 812

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:53:58 AM

BTW - If you ever get this up and running. I live in upstate NY. I will Drive down and purchase a pizza via bitcoin Smiley!
Walking Glitch

Amateur Professional

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:57:51 AM

https://coinkite.com

Ahhhh the power of GOOGLE!

I'm not sure how your POS terminal is set up wiht windows, but if it's like the DPZ terminals I have interacted with a few years ago, they would work with this.
brooklynbtc (OP)

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:58:30 AM

BryanK

You can come anytime I'm here and purchase a pizza with Btc. I'm totally prepared to do it now and always when I'm working (tues - sat 2pm to close..)

Goal is to get the system integrated and running seven days.

And while you are here, there is a guy that runs two delis, a frozen yogurt place and a brunch restaurant a few blocks away.. and yes he is on my list of people to talk to about this..

SN

Blockchain Technology.

brooklynbtc (OP)

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:04:53 AM

As to the coinkite, the problem is we already have a POS system, two terminals, 4 printers, all set up and running. These things aren't cheap, so replacing the whole thing just to take Btc won't happen.

The system we use is called Restaurant Manager  http://www.rmpos.com/

SN

Blockchain Technology.

Walking Glitch

Amateur Professional

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:24:24 AM

I spent 20 minutes typing a reply, and the fucking forum ate it... I can't even go back to save it, nice... This has got to be one of the worse forums there is...

I'll just summarize: Cheap android device, with camera, and a charger that sound an alarm when it's unplugged, integrate the order tracking from a custom app into the database using their giftcard function or something, and at closing, either move the coins to a cold wallet, or a custom bitpay transaction.
lbr

Activity: 423
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:46:32 AM

..have the person scan and pay me, and then I could pay their check with my credit card, earning points on my CC and accumulating Btc that I could then sell or hold as I saw fit.

are you sure that u are not breaking any laws at this step?
technically you are acting as money exchange service without registration, right?

BTC: 18ozhbkfHneX8tnPgHJuTizyBmspM5Vgpa  LTC: LgVc7KdedPGZyDXHXEH9G7z6AoTmTvDdWb
cgminer 2.11.13 x64 portable for Mac OS X 10.6.8
6+ GPUs driver mod for Windows
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 01:53:31 AM

OP,

I had this same question yesterday and came up with this

https://www.google.com/search?q=qr+code+stamp&rlz=1C1CHNG_enUS323US324&oq=qr+cod+st&aqs=chrome.5.69i57j0l5.8647j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=qr+code+stamp&safe=off&tbm=shop

Just order a QR code stamp.

Would also suggest all of your servers have their own stamps and their own btc wallets for their tips.

Done, aside from voiding or clearing the ticket from the register.

If it wouldn't work I don't know why. If they want to pay with bits just have posted conversion rate on the ticket.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
brooklynbtc (OP)

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:55:14 AM

Thanks  Walking Glitch, I understand crap forums, I long ago got into the habit of selecting all and copying before I post.. so when it crashes i can ctrl-v it back into life.

What about exchange rate? perform a live calculation? hate to let the knuckleheads that work here mess that one up.

I like the idea about the giftcard route or so on, but ours has giftcard baked in though our credit card merchant processor, but I'm sure there is a way to set up an alternative payment option, ie "settle to btc", but then its one more thing to balance at cashout

We have 8 to 10 servers on a day, so what happens if they all take a Btc transaction? Ideally they would each have a separate wallet address, generated each day when they login, but that's more deep integration.

If they all pay into a single wallet, we'll have to assume all the combined Btc payments to 8 servers are correct, or go back find each transaction "settled to btc" and recalculate the price and payment.

Otherwise a server could just hit "settle to btc" when the transaction is cash and pocket the cash.. or screw things up in a 100 other ways..

SN

Blockchain Technology.

brooklynbtc (OP)

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:02:11 AM

Hey lbr

I dont think theres a crime. We are still paying taxes and reporting income. Just transacting in Btc not USD

As to personally doing this on my credit card, I might get some flags from Master Card, but I regularly make small purchases here already.

They would be concerned for points, and the restaurant would be bearing the weight of the CC transaction fees still

SN

Blockchain Technology.

brooklynbtc (OP)

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:10:29 AM

jballs

$18 a piece stamps are not the answer. Plus servers have a hard enough time bringing pens to work.  Cry

Also, we can't void the transaction, because then it becomes tax fraud and messes with the books, unreported income.

Best bet would be to have the manager with a device, make addresses for each server and go to the table ourselves when they want to pay Btc I guess, but that gets us back to where when I'm off, or at lunch when there is just one server running the place, it can all go wrong or not go at all.

Settle the Btc transactions to "Account" and then pay that off nightly or weekly? either by selling Btc or paying out of pocket and holding them

SN

Blockchain Technology.

uhnonamiss

Activity: 457

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:25:01 AM

hay man i might be able to help out can you give me the exact model and this is very important can it connect to the internet ?
brooklynbtc (OP)

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:34:24 AM

Hey uhnonamiss

they do connect to the internet, running Restaurant Manager v1.70

Other than that its a Posiflex KS 6700 series

SN

Blockchain Technology.

uhnonamiss

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:51:03 AM

ok thats great

simply sign up for bitpay      after they approve you  they will give you  a api key which you  will be able to add to your pos as another service having trouble simple call ms or bitpay( i have almost no knowledge on pos systems) after you get that set up you'll have a nifty shortcut that you click on and then can generate a transaction i would assume that a qr code would be   printed on a  receipt for customers to send funds to.  Smiley   

have fund when i get back to ny all be visiting this place for sure Tongue
brooklynbtc (OP)

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:58:50 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just signed up with bitpay, they didn't have my POS as an option but I clicked custom and emailed them the specs.

See if it works.. and I'll let you know, and if it does, uhnonamiss there's a pizza in it for you

SN

Blockchain Technology.

uhnonamiss

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:10:10 AM

https://bitpay.com/bitcoin-for-retail#point-of-sale

OK thanks it may sit for a while though Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: