Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:38:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: price vs. difficulty/price graph might show you whether bitcoin is overpriced.
yes - 2 (28.6%)
no - 2 (28.6%)
maybe - 3 (42.9%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Correlation Between Bitcoin Price and Difficulty  (Read 821 times)
maxsong1003 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:33:50 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 06:21:43 AM by maxsong1003

To better investigate the relationship between Bitcoin price and difficulty, I made the following interactive graph.

Live graph: http://bitcointrends.herokuapp.com/

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcointrends/graphcaptured.PNG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcointrends/ratiograph.PNG

It seems there's a direct correlation (as expected) between Bitcoin price and difficulty. I assumed that difficulty is one of the
biggest factors that affects bitcoin's price, and the graphs seems to support this assumption. What's more interesting is the graph
that compares price and difficulty/price. Do you think it is reasonable to indicate whether bitcoin is overpriced from studying this graph?
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zengryT

Activity: 745
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:42:38 AM

Do you think it is reasonable to indicate whether bitcoin is overpriced from studying this graph?

Based on graph, Bitcoin price is highly undervalued

Not managing signature campaigns anymore.
maxsong1003 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:44:21 AM

Do you think it is reasonable to indicate whether bitcoin is overpriced from studying this graph?

Based on graph, Bitcoin price is highly undervalued

You're looking at the wrong graph. Look at price vs. difficulty/price graph.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:47:35 AM

one thing is for sure, the difficult is directly proportional to the price of bitcoin

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 09:54:59 AM

Difficulty definitely affects how difficult it is to get Bitcoin through mining but the thing you have to bear in mind is that the laws of supply and demand always apply here, if people are willing to purchase it then it doesn't matter if 'experts' think it has no value it will go up regardless if they're happy with paying that price in paper money. When it comes to altcoins I have noticed a definite trend though more than in Bitcoin of difficulty affecting price but when a coin gets popular then obviously people will buy into it regardless of the difficulty and of course the hashing power that you have on the network is directly tied to how much or how fast the difficulty rises depending on the rules the altcoin follows.
maxsong1003 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:04:40 AM

Difficulty definitely affects how difficult it is to get Bitcoin through mining but the thing you have to bear in mind is that the laws of supply and demand always apply here, if people are willing to purchase it then it doesn't matter if 'experts' think it has no value it will go up regardless if they're happy with paying that price in paper money. When it comes to altcoins I have noticed a definite trend though more than in Bitcoin of difficulty affecting price but when a coin gets popular then obviously people will buy into it regardless of the difficulty and of course the hashing power that you have on the network is directly tied to how much or how fast the difficulty rises depending on the rules the altcoin follows.

Yes. Since difficulty directly affects the possible amount of bitcoin supply by definition, I thought it might be reasonable to indicate bitcoin's current value looking at the provided graph. On the other hand, there are numerous factors that affect the demand. It might be harder to indicate whether bitcoin is overvalued just by trying to assume whether the demand will increase.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 10:07:39 AM

As I've said in my other thread, I don't think Bitcoin is overvalued I think that the dollar and paper money is hyperinflated, people are rushing to Bitcoin now like they're rushing to precious metals so they can preserve their wealth.
hunnaryb

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:11:26 AM

You might try unit $ cost / GHs graph. I believe BTC price and difficulty affects how much people willing to pay for 1 GHs as initial investment

▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇

willpower101

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:38:23 PM

You might try unit $ cost / GHs graph. I believe BTC price and difficulty affects how much people willing to pay for 1 GHs as initial investment

Second this. It's a useful measure to have that I'm always calculating by hand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: