Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:24:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DSP miner?  (Read 3873 times)
deslok (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:03:28 PM

I couldnt decide if this should go in hardware or software but since the software makes it tick i'm going to ask it here.
I read an odd comment about a DSP possibly being used for mining in another section is this even possible i know a signal processor does some nifty things but i can't think through in my head any way it would work for bitcoin mining if anyone here could enlighten me it'd be much appreciated.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 11:09:37 PM

I couldnt decide if this should go in hardware or software but since the software makes it tick i'm going to ask it here.
I read an odd comment about a DSP possibly being used for mining in another section is this even possible i know a signal processor does some nifty things but i can't think through in my head any way it would work for bitcoin mining if anyone here could enlighten me it'd be much appreciated.
It could do it, but it would likely be no faster than a CPU.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:17:09 PM

It could do it, but it would likely be no faster than a CPU.

Care to elaborate?  DSPs in many smart-phones / tablets / etc are geared around highly efficient, low power video stream processing - several of TI's newer chips can do 1080p without breaking a sweat for example.  Seems like that kind of stream processing architecture would lend itself handily to mining.. 

I wouldn't expect to get double-digit MH/s out of them or anything, but my understanding was that they were usually glorified FPGAs.

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 08:39:13 PM

Care to elaborate?  DSPs in many smart-phones / tablets / etc are geared around highly efficient, low power video stream processing - several of TI's newer chips can do 1080p without breaking a sweat for example.  Seems like that kind of stream processing architecture would lend itself handily to mining..
CPUs can handle 1080p video without a problem and they're not even optimized for it. DSPs generally don't outperform high-end CPUs, even on the kinds of tasks they're optimized for. They do, however, use much less power, so they're useful in smart phones and tablets. A high-end DSP might do signal processing functions (which mining would qualify as) as fast as a high-end CPU on 1/10th the power. That's still pretty impractical.

I wouldn't expect to get double-digit MH/s out of them or anything, but my understanding was that they were usually glorified FPGAs.
Not really, they're more like glorified CPUs or low-end GPUs.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 05:36:32 PM

link me to the app for DSP miner as I want to use this to complement CPU and GPU mining combined on my 2 machines (squeeze out even more hashes from my systems without spending too much as I've already upgraded GPU on my PC)

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: