Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:35:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to stake phore on a raspberry pi 3?  (Read 165 times)
adamantasaurus (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 03:21:23 PM

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to stake phore on a raspberry pi 3? I just got a raspberry pi and am interested in staking 4 or 5 different coins Nav, deeponion, and phore as of right now I found a tutorial for deeponion but asked the dev in discord of phore and he said "i don't know" lol

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
moonshoot

Activity: 73
Merit: 51

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 07:07:50 PM

There are several people in the Phore community who are staking on the Raspberry Pi. Look for Monkey as one good person to ask for assistance, he's around our Discord quite a bit. He also created a guide if you'd like to compile it from source:

https://steemit.com/phore/@noxx/6djfe-compiling-the-phore-wallet-on-raspberry-pi

We have an ARM distribution with our releases now so you don't even need to compile it, which I think previously was the hardest part given the limited compute power and RAM on the typical Raspberry Pi setup. As of this writing, here is the current version:

https://github.com/phoreproject/Phore/releases/download/v1.2.2/phore-1.2.2-arm-linux-gnueabihf.tar.gz

However, please check our GitHub for the latest release in case there is a newer one--we are working hard on testing SegWit right now and plan to get another wallet release that includes that and several other updates soon.

If you already have a Raspian image set up and know how to use it in general including running a GUI desktop, really all you should need to do is download that ARM package, extract the executable files to /usr/local/bin or some other location on your path, and run phore-qt. If you are running it without a GUI, then you would run phored and use the command line interface for all the other operations (phore-cli). The rest of the staking instructions would be pretty much the same as any other platform you would run Phore on.

It's possible depending on which coins you are staking that there could be some library conflicts, I can't say for certain and in many cases they run just fine together, but I have had a few users have issues compiling a bunch of different coins when they need different versions of specific libraries. If you have further questions or issues getting it to work, feel free to reach out to me on Discord and I'll find someone to help you.

Moonshot
Phore CTO

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ ( P H O R E . i o ) ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
Delivering Blockchain Technology To The Real World
Egger

Activity: 93
Merit: 7

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 08:44:38 PM

The main problem will be: you cannot stack more then possibly one coin.
Main reason may be the ARAM CPU but even more importent: RAM.
RPI has only 1 GB RAM, a staking wallet needs about 300 to 400 MB.

You can give it a try and report us back.

For stacking multiple coins/wallets I would suggest a small/old mini-PC or even laptop due to display.
No ATOM CPU but eg. i3, at least 4 GB of RAM, better 8 GB RAM, minimum 256 SSD - no GPU, just HD grafics.
This could be a good solution for staking multiple coins.
moonshoot

Activity: 73
Merit: 51

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:11:00 PM

I can't speak for other coins but Phore staking works just fine for many people from a CPU perspective on a Raspberry Pi. If you were going to do a lot of zerocoin minting (which has nothing to do with staking), I'd suggest something with a little more processing power like an Odroid.

Swap space can take care of the limited RAM to an extent, at the sacrifice of some performance, but again with staking it may or may not be an issue.

Of course you are correct that staking multiple coins will multiply the CPU operations as well as the RAM requirements, and depending on the size of the blockchains and the number of staking inputs for each, it could cause performance issues, one of which might be trouble keeping up with syncing all the blockchains which is critical for successfully staking.

I would also echo that if you could find an old cheap desktop or laptop for ~$100 and let's say 8GB of RAM and install Linux on it, you'd have a pretty solid solution for staking a bunch of coins, with one downside being somewhat higher electricity costs vs. a Raspberry Pi.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ ( P H O R E . i o ) ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
Delivering Blockchain Technology To The Real World
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:38:40 PM

How's about your shitty old HP laptop?  Grin I recognize you from our discussion before.

I have a few Pi 2, but I've never tried what you were asking above. Seem like that Steemit link (that posted above) would be your best guide at this moment. Or may you were done with that since your post had posted weeks ago.

This one:

There are several people in the Phore community who are staking on the Raspberry Pi. Look for Monkey as one good person to ask for assistance, he's around our Discord quite a bit. He also created a guide if you'd like to compile it from source:

https://steemit.com/phore/@noxx/6djfe-compiling-the-phore-wallet-on-raspberry-pi
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: