Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:09:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking News: China Central Bank Officially Warns against Bitcoin  (Read 5136 times)
GigaCoin (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:48:36 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 10:35:49 AM by GigaCoin

This could be the reason for a strong chinese sell off today:

Update: Proper translation seems to indicate it's an outright Ban on Banks/Financial institutions rather than just a warning.

Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/05/china-bitcoin-idUSL4N0JK1KZ20131205

The Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5177550/bitcoin-banned-from-chinese-banks-amid-fears-of-laundering

Bloomberg:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-12-05/china-s-pboc-bans-financial-companies-from-bitcoin-transactions

tubbyjr

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:56:13 AM

Well anyone who expected governments or banks to welcome bitcoins with open arms is was a fool anyway. It's likely just speculators driving price down, and a few clueless bitcoin holders selling off. If you invested into bitcoins thinking that a huge thorn in government/banks would really go through without a problem, please, get rid of your coins asap, and give it to people with some intelligence.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:57:54 AM

China said it is a commodity that citizens are free to trade. They made sure to put that in there official letter. They are saying it can be used to trade and store of value but not as a currency. Oh boo hoo.
seanneko

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:59:49 AM

China said it is a commodity that citizens are free to trade. They made sure to put that in there official letter. They are saying it can be used to trade and store of value but not as a currency. Oh boo hoo.

If anything that's good news! WTF is wrong with people? China didn't put their magic stamp of approval on it and worship Bitcoin as our new god? How horrible.
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:00:39 AM

If anything that's good news! WTF is wrong with people? China didn't put their magic stamp of approval on it and worship Bitcoin as our new god? How horrible.

Yes exactly!
Rockefoten

Activity: 134

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:02:54 AM

I guess people were disappointed China didn't immediately recognize Bitcoin as their new official currency, replacing the Yuan...
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:03:03 AM

it might also mean they can't cash out bitcoins anymore to their banks, if that truly is the case we are in for a big massive dive. Hopefully that's not the case

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:03:24 AM

Sorry, we have too many people with reading comprehension problem here....

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 09:09:41 AM

If they now go after BTCChina...
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:16:21 AM

Sorry, we have too many people with reading comprehension problem here....
And with a maximum attention span of 3 words.

"Chinese government says-" whaaaaa PANIC!

Well, their loss. Suckers. Too bad I don't have money at exchanges currently, to profit from it :-(

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
seanneko

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:21:07 AM

Lol, if I was a journalist, I'd write a made up story saying "US government bans Bitcoin. Anyone who owns Bitcoin faces up to 36 months imprisonment". Then when the value crashes by 80% I'd buy all the coins I can afford and retract the article.

Even if you lost your job over it, who cares, you'd instantly be rich.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:24:48 AM

OMG! So Chinese Bank did what any sane governmental entity would do : Say that bitcoin can have negative uses too.

Oh, wow, better sell all our coins for this.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:36:04 AM

This news only said that bitcoin can not be used as fiat currency, bitcoin is merchandise

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
im3w1l

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:36:08 AM

Lol, if I was a journalist, I'd write a made up story saying "US government bans Bitcoin. Anyone who owns Bitcoin faces up to 36 months imprisonment". Then when the value crashes by 80% I'd buy all the coins I can afford and retract the article.

Even if you lost your job over it, who cares, you'd instantly be rich.

That's the kind of thing you go to prison over though. (I believe, not legal advice)

Quote from: bloomberg
The People’s Bank of China, China Banking Regulatory Commission and other regulators have held discussions about drafting rules for trading platforms that facilitate the buying and selling of the virtual money, two people with direct knowledge of the matter said. They were not authorized to speak because the information is not public.

This is pretty bullish I think actually
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:36:20 AM

my reaction, in order:

1: ouch, this hurts  Shocked
2: cheap chinese coins coming...
3: this will be the biggest tree shake ever
4: oh shit, what if the chinese really drag the market down underground?

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:38:43 AM

oh no. bitcoin is back to where it was yesterday.  i cant take this
seanneko

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:39:58 AM

my reaction, in order:

1: ouch, this hurts  Shocked
2: cheap chinese coins coming...
3: this will be the biggest tree shake ever
4: oh shit, what if the chinese really drag the market down underground?

5: Carry on, nothing more to see here
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:40:41 AM

if you put "china", "bitcoin", and "ban" into a reuters press release, this is what you get.

pokerman

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:42:49 AM

Saying that bitcoins can not be used as currency completely destroys the intrinsic value of bitcoin.
seanneko

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:48:15 AM

Saying that bitcoins can not be used as currency completely destroys the intrinsic value of bitcoin.

Do you know what the word intrinsic means?

That's a rhetoric question.
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:53:33 AM

The network and the ability to send money is a huge part of the value, it isn't required for the whole planet to use it as a currency for the bitcoin network to have large value.
im3w1l

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:58:10 AM

But they aren't objecting to the use as currency? Only to using the word currency?

Saying that financial institutions can't handle transactions will probably more act to deter speculation then buying/selling of goods using BTC.
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:03:59 AM

Markets are hit hard downwards, looks like this news is pretty big in China. Not looking good  Undecided

Transalations confirm that it is not just a warning, but a "BAN" .

This might mean that people in china can't cash out their coins which is causing the panic

Mirsad

Activity: 140

Bitcoin - love & hate

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:05:28 AM

Hahah nice  Grin

Moar panic selling please.

< 100 BTC is not worth mentioning. Poor souls will always remain poor. Don't miss the failtrain.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:08:02 AM

Whew. Thanks for warning. Almost missed this. Have a really light-colored ticker I can't see well. BTCBTCBTC
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:09:23 AM

I never trusted anyone that goes full in the water without dipping their toe first. China did this with bitcoin, they went fanatic and all. If their destiny is to sell, then SELL (to me and my fellow friends on this forum)

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
piramida
Legendary

Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:15:39 AM

This might mean that people in china can't cash out their coins which is causing the panic

Makes exactly zero sense to sell coins if you can't cash them out, does not it? Would make sense to *buy* coins and get them to external exchanges and cash out there, if that would've been the case. Looks like just another one of the herd running panics, good thing.

i am satoshi
Shak

Activity: 134

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:16:03 AM

so, china forbid banks to use bitcoin as a currency

well, did any bank use bitcoin yet? hm...
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:18:01 AM

Just saw $870 on Gox, feels like forever since i saw that figure  Shocked

But seems to be holding at a strong resistance of $900

piramida
Legendary

Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:19:09 AM

Just saw $870 on Gox, feels like forever since i saw that figure  Shocked

But seems to be holding at a strong resistance of $900

the last support was 850. so it will hold for a while. if panic does not stop, hello 400 Smiley

i am satoshi
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:19:53 AM

Makes exactly zero sense to sell coins if you can't cash them out, does not it? Would make sense to *buy* coins and get them to external exchanges and cash out there, if that would've been the case. Looks like just another one of the herd running panics, good thing.

Yep you're right but they probably wanna cash out now before it comes officially into law one can assume.

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:20:06 AM

thoste titles are so fake ... no one banned anything ... it was just a warning ...
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:24:13 AM

thoste titles are so fake ... no one banned anything ... it was just a warning ...

i asked a chinese friend and it seems like an outright ban based on proper translation, let me know if it's not correct! so i can update the post

Mirsad

Activity: 140

Bitcoin - love & hate

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:25:00 AM

Learn chinese and win. It's a BAN!

Just sell NOW. the bubble Chinese money will leave the bitcoin system. Price will crash hard!

< 100 BTC is not worth mentioning. Poor souls will always remain poor. Don't miss the failtrain.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:30:35 AM

I call shenanigans on both of you. Ban on what exactly? Not a ban on Bitcoin. A ban on banks handling bitcoins means nothing materially at this time, because no banks in China (or anywhere in the world) handle bitcoins anyway.
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:31:12 AM

Learn chinese and win. It's a BAN!

Just sell NOW. the bubble Chinese money will leave the bitcoin system. Price will crash hard!

Really?  While I agree learning Chinese is a good idea, quit trying to scare people.  From the crappy Google translation:

However, Bitcoin transaction as a commodity trading behavior on the Internet, ordinary people have the freedom to participate in the premise own risk.

So even the crappy Google translation makes clear it is not a ban on people holding bitcoins.  It may be a ban on banks holding them or using them like they would RMB, but that wasn't likely to begin with.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:33:54 AM

doesnt china censor the internet? i thought amerika was messed up.
ronaldlee0917

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:51:31 AM

From what I have read, this is not really a ban, however all bitcoin handling businesses in China, e.g. btcchina, must register with some authority in China, which I forgot its name, otherwise they will be forcibly removed from operation.

Donation:    18zXsfnSvGjQFJ6pEiKMg2uWGcxUCfJLzu
Mastercoin - A new protocol layer built on top of Bitcoin
inca
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:59:18 AM

i asked a chinese friend and it seems like an outright ban based on proper translation, let me know if it's not correct! so i can update the post

It's not correct.. lol
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:00:26 AM

It's not correct.. lol

explain

freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:37:06 AM

Holy lord, this made as much effect on the market as Thanks Giving.
But Honey Badger doesn't care.
Hfertig

Activity: 361

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:37:42 AM

The network and the ability to send money is a huge part of the value, it isn't required for the whole planet to use it as a currency for the bitcoin network to have large value.

Hmmm. This is offered by any altcoin, which are also cheaper and have a better protokol
bootlace

Activity: 364

Justice as a Service Infrastructure

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:39:36 AM

Two key points:

"Financial and payment institutions are urged not to use bitcoin pricing for products or services"

Source: http://rt.com/business/bitcoin-china-financial-institution-754/

"Websites in China that provide trading services are required to report investors' identities to regulators and take steps to prohibit money laundering"

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/05/investing/china-bitcoin/

J U R      |      The Justice as a Service Infrastructure      |      JUR ALLIANCE                      ═════════════════
      SMART LEGAL AGREEMENT.  ESCROW.  DECENTRALIZED DISPUTE RESOLUTION.        ║  JOIN JUR PRESALE  ║     
 ●         WHITEPAPER         TECH PAPER         GITHUB         MEDIUM         TELEGRAM                 ═════════════════
SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:44:07 AM

reeks of #disinfo. don't sell, hold!

NEVER GOT PAID.
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:46:10 AM

Holy lord, this made as much effect on the market as Thanks Giving.
But Honey Badger doesn't care.

Grin

hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 12:33:36 PM

So let's see... There are two possible futures for bitcoin :

1) prices go down. China government had protected the banks and financial institutions and warned individuals that took the risk.
Result: government looks good.

2) prices go up. China government had allowed individuals to continue to trade bitcoin and thus people have reaped profit.

This is exactly the sort of official stance I would have expected them to take.

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:56:25 PM

One thing is clear is that we won't see any Chinese Banks, Investment banking institutions, mega chinese funds, retirement funds, insurance funds, etc etc investing in Bitcoin or bitcoin related infrastructure and businesses anymore, which is a huge Negative IMO for Bitcoin's long term future in China specifically and expected accelerated price rise to $10,000. It's gonna be purely people only thing, unless the Gov changes its mind in the future.

bitleif

Activity: 351

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:00:41 PM

News flash: Bitcoin getting attention from governments around the world => Hugely bullish for Bitcoin
bootlace

Activity: 364

Justice as a Service Infrastructure

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:27:09 PM

One thing is clear is that we won't see any Chinese Banks, Investment banking institutions, mega chinese funds, retirement funds, insurance funds, etc etc investing in Bitcoin or bitcoin related infrastructure and businesses anymore, which is a huge Negative IMO for Bitcoin's long term future in China specifically and expected accelerated price rise to $10,000. It's gonna be purely people only thing, unless the Gov changes its mind in the future.

Thank you for providing some actual legit analysis instead of immediately shouting THIS BULLISH YOU MORONS BUY BUY BUY!11

J U R      |      The Justice as a Service Infrastructure      |      JUR ALLIANCE                      ═════════════════
      SMART LEGAL AGREEMENT.  ESCROW.  DECENTRALIZED DISPUTE RESOLUTION.        ║  JOIN JUR PRESALE  ║     
 ●         WHITEPAPER         TECH PAPER         GITHUB         MEDIUM         TELEGRAM                 ═════════════════
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:55:04 PM

My Takeaway:

1) China says btc is not currency or money in an official sense. No kidding. I think we all know it is not a currency or money in a traditional sense. It is something new and different. Not news.

2) China says btc not to be integrated into financial institutions. Really? It is incompatible with legacy financial institutions, and replaces them. It is outside of those institutions. Not news.

3) China says btc can be used by individuals and businesses. Captain Obvious anyone? Aside from throwing people in jail for using it, you can't really stop that from happening. Not news.

4) China says exchanges must follow existing regulations. Why wouldn't they? They are using Yuan, and China is in charge of Yuan. They have a duty to manage Yuan. Not news.

In the end, they pretty much just formalized what everyone already knew. The end result is a removal of a level of uncertainty, which is probably on balance a positive for btc.

Blue Horseshoe loves bitcoins.
GameKyuubi

Activity: 253
Merit: 1413

DTCxNMC

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:22:55 PM

This is actually good.  This means the people will buy the BTC and the banks will stay out of it, and if the PRoC puts its money where its mouth is, the government won't be buying any either, which is also good long term.  This advisory simply states that the people can use it, but the government and banks won't.

BTC: 15SLrNo6PKVfsH5JLtatJcVkSQXCk1LXyq
full stack Node
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:35:32 PM

Hmmm. This is offered by any altcoin, which are also cheaper and have a better protokol

What does that have to do with anything?

I'm noticing a pattern of altcoin pumpers tagging along on any argument made for Bitcoin vs. fiat, as if the fact that an altcoin could do the same thing is relevant. If someone were attacking altcoins it would be, but when the argument is merely about crypto vs. fiat, it comes off as a desperate attempt to remind everyone that altcoins exist. 
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:39:20 PM

Did you notice the words, "at this stage"? They explicitly reserved the right to change their policy.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 12:11:50 AM

China isn't the entire world though. There are many big institutions, funds, etc. outside of China who are following bitcoin closely and are not affected by this.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 12:17:08 AM

First of all, they specifically said, "At this stage" and that's entirely reasonable. The government would be crazy to let insurance funds put ordinary citizens money into Mt.Gox (as an example), doesn't that seem crazy to you as well? China well knows that although our bitcoin economy has improved vastly, it's still run largely by first time entrepreneurs who are doing it all by trial and error. No way in heck large financial institutions should be putting customers money into exchanges run by inexperienced and under-backed entrepreneurs. When the wall street exchanges are up and running for real, I'm sure world governments will reconsider. At the moment however, could you imagine offering insurance for bitcoin? It's an insane proposition at this point.

Bitcoin will be a world currency, but it does take more then a few months or years. 

more or less retired.
Siegfried

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:05:53 AM

So let's see... There are two possible futures for bitcoin :

1) prices go down. China government had protected the banks and financial institutions and warned individuals that took the risk.

2) prices go up. China government had allowed individuals to continue to trade bitcoin and thus people have reaped profit.

This is exactly the sort of official stance I would have expected them to take.

Perfect.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: