Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:58:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't panic, China is NOT banning bitcoin  (Read 31675 times)
lindatess

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:38:05 AM

Why would anyone in China still want to buy bitcoins when this announcement demonstrates there is little hope for them there?
AFAIK, there are no restrictions on who can create an account on BTCCHina.

We don't know whether the selloff was actually caused by Chinese traders.

Even if you can create a BTC-China account. You won't be able to withdraw to a chinese bank account anymore. That breaks the idea of an online exchange. Only localbitcoins china would work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:40:24 AM

Even if you can create a BTC-China account. You won't be able to withdraw to a chinese bank account anymore.
Is that really the case?

I wouldn't have expected Bobby Lee's statement to be as upbeat in that case.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-05/china-s-pboc-bans-financial-companies-from-bitcoin-transactions.html

“We’re happy to see the government start regulating the Bitcoin exchanges,” Chief Executive Officer Bobby Lee of BTC China, the largest Bitcoin exchange in the country, said today in a phone interview before the PBOC announcement was made. Regulations would be for “the good of the consumer,” he said. BTC is seeking recognition of the currency so it can be used to buy goods and services instead of being used for speculation, he said.

New rules for Bitcoin may not clarify Bitcoin’s legal status as regulators are divided over the issue, the people said. People are free to trade Bitcoin even as China refrains from recognizing it as a currency in the short term, PBOC’s Deputy Governor Yi Gang was cited by the 21st Century Business Herald as saying last month.
boombes

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:40:32 AM

I work for an international company and i asked a chinese colleague to translate it for me. *(No literal translation at this moment)*

The bank is not supporting bitcoins, the risk has to be taken by the user if he decides to enter the bitcoin market. No guarantees are given for the losses made (as other investment most of the time have).

So it;s basically the same as it is in the netherlands for me with rabobank, they state: we do not support bitcoins use at own risk. we will not be liable for the damage made.

I don't think it's bad news just a warning for the general public by the bank of china.

If people want the literal translation a donation will be appreciated for the time the colleague needs to spend on it
lindatess

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:41:56 AM

Even if you can create a BTC-China account. You won't be able to withdraw to a chinese bank account anymore.
Is that really the case?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-05/china-s-pboc-bans-financial-companies-from-bitcoin-transactions.html

“We’re happy to see the government start regulating the Bitcoin exchanges,” Chief Executive Officer Bobby Lee of BTC China, the largest Bitcoin exchange in the country, said today in a phone interview before the PBOC announcement was made. Regulations would be for “the good of the consumer,” he said. BTC is seeking recognition of the currency so it can be used to buy goods and services instead of being used for speculation, he said.

New rules for Bitcoin may not clarify Bitcoin’s legal status as regulators are divided over the issue, the people said. People are free to trade Bitcoin even as China refrains from recognizing it as a currency in the short term, PBOC’s Deputy Governor Yi Gang was cited by the 21st Century Business Herald as saying last month.

said today in a phone interview before the PBOC announcement was made

Bitsurprise

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:43:57 AM

I work for an international company and i asked a chinese colleague to translate it for me. *(No literal translation at this moment)*

The bank is not supporting bitcoins, the risk has to be taken by the user if he decides to enter the bitcoin market. No guarantees are given for the losses made (as other investment most of the time have).

So it;s basically the same as it is in the netherlands for me with rabobank, they state: we do not support bitcoins use at own risk. we will not be liable for the damage made.

I don't think it's bad news just a warning for the general public by the bank of china.

If people want the literal translation a donation will be appreciated for the time the colleague needs to spend on it

At this stage, financial institutions cannot denominate services and products in bitcoin, cannot trade bitcoin, cannot run bitcoin exchange, cannot provide bitcoin related services, cannot store bitcoin for clients, cannot establish bitcoin trust or fund, etc.
Bitsurprise

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:45:15 AM

Is that really the case?

said today in a phone interview before the PBOC announcement was made

Who cares about what Bobby Lee thinks ? he's the CEO of the exchange , his opinion is irrelevant to me ...
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:46:08 AM

Have been keeping a track on transaction volumes and China was doing around 90,000 - 100,000 BTC currency transactions every 24 hours, vs the second biggest market in the USA which was doing around 1/3 the volume.

Today China is down to zero.

I don't think its panic selling. There doesn't seem to be any selling.

What are you saying? I have just logged in to BTC-China. For the last 60 mins alone, the trade volume stands at 23,264.58 BTC. 

http://fiatleak.com/
whatthesith
Copper Member

Activity: 301
Merit: 10

simply getting the job done

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:47:49 AM

Why would anyone in China still want to buy bitcoins when this announcement demonstrates there is little hope for them there?

Even if you can create a BTC-China account. You won't be able to withdraw to a chinese bank account anymore. That breaks the idea of an online exchange. Only localbitcoins china would work.

Really?

BTC-China is already a legitimate exchange. You can see the link on the bottom corner of the site "

You can also enquiry the official "Ministry of Industry and Information Technology" of China government.

As Bitcoin is treated as goods, there is no reason for banning banks from deposit and withdrawal money from the registered bitcoin exchanges.

Mycro Jobs                                                                                                                                                                                                   
| SIMPLY GETTING THE JOB DONE
⟩                                                                                                                                                     
                                                           ⟩⟩ Telegram ⟩⟩ Twitter ⟩⟩ Medium ⟩⟩ Github ⟩⟩ Instagram ⟩⟩ LinkedIn ⟩⟩ YouTube ⟩⟩ Facebook
Bitsurprise

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:50:10 AM

Really?

BTC-China is already a legitimate exchange. You can see the link on the bottom corner of the site "

You can also enquiry the official "Ministry of Industry and Information Technology" of China government.

https://i.imgur.com/Ibysq9d.png

As Bitcoin is treated as goods, there is no reason for banning banks from deposit and withdrawal money from the registered bitcoin exchanges.

So its not a currency ?
Martijnvdc

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:55:30 AM

We all knew things like this would happen eventually.
We'll get a lot more resistance in the future.
lindatess

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:58:01 AM

Where did the old posts disappear to?

http://www.coindesk.com/commonwealth-bank-closes-coinjars-business-and-founders-personal-accounts/

No where does it explicity state that and I don't see how you can draw that inference from what is written there...

It is a great arbitrage opportunity for you, if you believe it. Just fly over to China tomorrow and you can make thousands.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 10:02:50 AM

Apparently there needs to be an intelligence test for BTC.

"How many fucks would you give if any government said that holding BTC is a capital offense, or made any less severe statement?
A) Zero fucks
B) All the fucks

You chose B: you're too fucking stupid to use bitcoin, this software installation will now self-destruct."

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
AuroraHF

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:04:39 AM

"How many fucks would you give if any government said that holding BTC is a capital offense, or made any less severe statement?
A) Zero fucks
B) All the fucks

You chose B: you're too fucking stupid to use bitcoin, this software installation will now self-destruct."

I didn't gave a fuck. I just made a few hundreds selling prior the crash and then rebuying it when it crashed to 900 on BTC-E. Now I'll just sit and wait for it to rise again, idiots panic selling.  Cheesy

lmao
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:07:21 AM

A) Zero fucks
B) All the fucks

I didn't gave a fuck. I just made a few hundreds selling prior the crash and then rebuying it when it crashed to 900 on BTC-E. Now I'll just sit and wait for it to rise again, idiots panic selling.  Cheesy

Agreed
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 4367

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:27:54 AM

in other china news. baidu. the chinese search engine accpeting bitcoin. has now reported the CEO is now worlds richest man. exceeding google and other bompany values too

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/meet-china-s-new-richest-man-0SlX524KSa~jqmYkejBlZw.html

if he buys more bitcoins. he will become even more richer in the long term, as will we all.

so dont panic

Careful, Baidu only accepts bitcoin's for their anti-ddos software... You can't use it to shop on baidu or purchase anything else.

i know, but richard branson also only accepts bitcoins for limited amount of virgin galactic flights. all this news means that bitcoin is going to grow. the only thing that is happening is the standard first week of the month sell off. which has happened every month since april. and may become especially apparent in december as people prepare to buy FIAT paid christmas presents. do not think this is a crash that will cause long term suffering. its just a 'blip' in the grand scheme of things

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Libin

Activity: 137

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:55:16 AM

会解读的人看不懂中文,会中文的人却解读错误。
哈哈,全仓抄底,等老外慢慢反应。
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:16:13 AM

So can ordinary businesses (not banks) accept bitcoin as payment in China?  It looks like they can't from the translation.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 11:22:08 AM

So can ordinary businesses (not banks) accept bitcoin as payment in China?  It looks like they can't from the translation.

Just checked with my wife - basically it is not clear from the Chinese (and most likely this is on purpose).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3584
Merit: 1560

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:25:40 AM

i know, but richard branson also only accepts bitcoins for limited amount of virgin galactic flights. all this news means that bitcoin is going to grow. the only thing that is happening is the standard first week of the month sell off. which has happened every month since april. and may become especially apparent in december as people prepare to buy FIAT paid christmas presents. do not think this is a crash that will cause long term suffering. its just a 'blip' in the grand scheme of things

What?? Did you sell your account to someone else? You've always been the biggest cynic in this forum. I can't believe you are being optimistic.
woodrowchai

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:27:27 AM

Just checked with my wife - basically it is not clear from the Chinese (and most likely this is on purpose).

yes,It's a little vague.But I deem the news good.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: