Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:59:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Great time to buy  (Read 8652 times)
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 10:23:29 PM

Comment on the pets.com analogy instead of talking semantics.

I said "look identical", not identical, of course they can't be "exactly 100% identical" FFS.

Take a real honest moment there and read what you wrote. 

You said:

"look identical" != "identical"

Now ask yourself why I would try to struggle through deciphering more of your enigmatic self-made vocabulary in a whole other maybe-related post?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ThatDGuy

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 10:24:56 PM

Again, of course they are not 100% identical and they won't unfold in EXACTLY the same manner. What the hell?
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Also, there is all the time in the world for bitcoin to go way lower than what it is now, don't be so impatient.

There we go, good to see some acceptance of your earlier flawed argument.

Now, then - what else makes BTC similar to Tulips?
NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 10:28:15 PM

English is not my first language, so problems you have with the words I'm using may be because of that? Who cares?
The two charts show a "High degree of similarity". That is what I meant and it's just obvious they can't be 100% the same.

I hope everybody else can see you are just nitpicking about semantics, but whatever  Roll Eyes

Still no mention of anything regarding the pets.com analogy I posted, that works better if we are talking fundamentals.
Y u no talk bout that?

ThatDGuy

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 10:36:58 PM

English is not my firs language, so problems you have with the words I'm using may be because of that? Who cares?

I'm sorry that English isn't your first language.  Considering that we're conversing via an English forum, it's important that we're all working with the same ground rules, or else there's no point in attempting honest communication.

Claiming that "tulips going from their ATH -> zero in half a year" is exactly the same as "BTC going from it's ATH -> 1/6th of the ATH in a year" is inherently false.  Chalking it up to semantics is a bad look.

If you're going to try and base an argument off of a false premise, you also have to accept that some people will choose to ignore you after that - because it ends up becoming a waste of time.

The two charts show a "High degree of similarity". That is what I meant and it's just obvious they can't be 100% the same.

I agree that they show a lot of similarity, up until the last portion - again where Tulips drop completely and BTC hasn't dropped anywhere near close to the same point.  In fact, BTC has now been hovering just around where the previous ATH was.  The Tulips' chart didn't do anything remotely close to that.

I hope everybody else can see you are just nitpicking about semantics, but whatever  Roll Eyes

Still no mention of anything regarding the pets.com analogy I posted, that works better if we are talking fundamentals.
Y u no talk bout that?

Again, I honestly don't wish to go off on a tangent in this discussion about fundamentals and trying to correlate BTC -> Pets.com now.  I don't blame you for trying to shift the discussion away.

I'm simply tearing the weak argument that Tulips = BTC apart, and not having to work very hard to do it.

In all seriousness, trolls were comparing Tulips and BTC back in early 2013, and midway a bit, and could almost get away with it.  It just doesn't work anymore.
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 10:45:48 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2015, 10:59:29 PM by NotHatinJustTrollin

I agree that they show a lot of similarity, up until the last portion - again where Tulips drop completely and BTC hasn't dropped anywhere near close to the same point.  In fact, BTC has now been hovering just around where the previous ATH was.  The Tulips' chart didn't do anything remotely close to that.
The chart you posted is just on a different time scale.

There is all the time in the world for the BTC price to "drop completely" (as you say, but again, tulips never went to 0 so they didn't actually "drop completely") like tulips did  Roll Eyes  Cheesy

[/img

Again, I honestly don't wish to go off on a tangent in this discussion about fundamentals and trying to correlate BTC -> Pets.com now.  I don't blame you for trying to shift the discussion away.
Lol. "go off a tangent?"
My point is that bitcoin is a bubble, the pets.com analogy is arguably even more relevant to the point than the tulip chart comparison.

I take it as, "I don't know how to answer that and I don't want to go in depth"

I'm sorry that English isn't your first language.  Considering that we're conversing via an English forum, it's important that we're all working with the same ground rules, or else there's no point in attempting honest communication.

Claiming that "tulips going from their ATH -> zero in half a year" is exactly the same as "BTC going from it's ATH -> 1/6th of the ATH in a year" is inherently false.  Chalking it up to semantics is a bad look.

If you're going to try and base an argument off of a false premise, you also have to accept that some people will choose to ignore you after that - because it ends up becoming a waste of time.
Ok, I take it you are gonna continue nitpick about semantics for the rest of the discussion.

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 10:53:48 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2015, 01:49:45 AM by NotHatinJustTrollin

The world doesn't need a cryptocurrency, it might need distributed ledgers technologies, but a distributed ledger technology that makes sense doesn't necessarily need a cryptocurrency in order to work like in the bitcoin the currency-blockchain system.

You could use distributed ledger technologies in order to send fiat currencies internationally for almost zero fees (like the ripple network is trying to do, again, not ripple the coin, and again, ripple is just an example, hyperledger and others are trying to do similar things), use it for applications such as smart contracts and others. Basically for all the reasons you are saying bitcoin is great, bitcoin THE CURRENCY IS not only unnecessary, but it creates more problems than it tries to solve, such as irreversibility (0 consumer protection, a chimera any payment system should avoid like the plague), slow transactions, higher fees in the future, volatility, scalability, and countless others. And overall, fiat currencies work just fine, a new volatile irreversible currency is not what is useful or needed.

That why I am using the "cryptocurrencies = pets.com" analogy and that's why I am taking tulips only for the chart comparison as an example of a bubble that bursted even tho the two don't share much fundamentals wise.

ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 11:22:36 PM

^ For someone that doesn't believe in the need for cryptocurrencies you sure do spend a HELL of a lot of time on a forum dedicated to them.  Cheesy
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 11:28:52 PM

^ For someone that doesn't believe in the need for cryptocurrencies you sure do spend a HELL of a lot of time on a forum dedicated to them.  Cheesy
What should the reason(s) be then? The classic "he spreads FUD cuz he wants to buy cheap coins"?  Undecided

jaredboice

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 01:02:14 AM

^ For someone that doesn't believe in the need for cryptocurrencies you sure do spend a HELL of a lot of time on a forum dedicated to them.  Cheesy

I know if I thought that low about something, I would spend all my time in a forum dedicated to it as well  Cheesy
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 01:09:33 AM

The world doesn't need a cryptocurrency, it might need distributed ledgers technologies, but a distributed ledger technology that makes sense doesn't necessarily need a cryptocurrency in order to work like in the bitcoin the currency-blockchain system.

You could use distributed ledger technologies in order to send fiat currencies internationally for almost zero fees (like the ripple network is trying to do, again, not ripple the coin, and again, ripple is just an example, hyperledger and others are trying to do similar things), use it for applications such as smart contracts and others. Basically for all the reasons you are saying bitcoin is great, bitcoin THE CURRENCY IS not only unnecessary, but it creates more problems than it tries to solve, such as irreversibility (0 consumer protection, a chimera any currency should avoid like the plague), slow transactions, higher fees in the future, volatility, scalability, and countless others. And overall, fiat currencies work just fine, a new volatile irreversible currency is not what is useful or needed.

That why I am using the "cryptocurrencies = pets.com" analogy and that's why I am taking tulips only for the chart comparison as an example of a bubble that bursted even tho the two don't share much fundamentals wise.

You do understand that the currency is the incentive for people to update and maintain that distributed ledger right?

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 01:11:05 AM
Last edit: February 21, 2015, 01:27:13 AM by NotHatinJustTrollin

You could use distributed ledger technologies in order to send fiat currencies internationally for almost zero fees (like the ripple network is trying to do, again, not ripple the coin, and again, ripple is just an example, hyperledger and others are trying to do similar things), use it for applications such as smart contracts and others. Basically for all the reasons you are saying bitcoin is great, bitcoin THE CURRENCY IS not only unnecessary, but it creates more problems than it tries to solve, such as irreversibility (0 consumer protection, a chimera any currency should avoid like the plague), slow transactions, higher fees in the future, volatility, scalability, and countless others. And overall, fiat currencies work just fine, a new volatile irreversible currency is not what is useful or needed.

You do understand that the currency is the incentive for people to update and maintain that distributed ledger right?
Only in a system that uses proof-of-work (or a joke like proo-of-stake) like the bitcoin blockchain  Wink

but a distributed ledger technology that makes sense doesn't necessarily need a cryptocurrency in order to work like in the bitcoin the currency-blockchain system.

The ripple consensus protocol for example doesn't need a high marketcap token as an incentive to secure the network. Hyperledger and others are doing the same thing. Others will follow.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 01:26:53 AM

Only in a system that uses proof-of-work (or a joke like proo-of-stake) like the bitcoin blockchain  Wink

but a distributed ledger technology that makes sense doesn't necessarily need a cryptocurrency in order to work like in the bitcoin the currency-blockchain system.

The ripple consensus protocol for example doesn't need a high marketcap token as an incentive to secure the network. Hyperledger and others are doing the same thing. Others will follow.

Ha I see. You are a shitcoin pumper.

Thing is, they all have a coins, they are all pointless and that's why nobody is developing on top of these.

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 01:29:12 AM

Only in a system that uses proof-of-work (or a joke like proof-of-stake) like the bitcoin blockchain  Wink

Thing is, they all have a coins, they are all pointless and that's why nobody is developing on top of these.

I just told you that the world might need distributed ledger technologies but not cryptocurrencies (and not distributed ledgers that NEED an overpriced high marketcap cryptocurrency like bitcoin in the bitcoin blockchain to secure the network), basically saying that cryptoCURRENCIES themselves don't have a future and you call me a "shitcoin pumper"?  Cheesy

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 01:38:55 AM

Only in a system that uses proof-of-work (or a joke like proof-of-stake) like the bitcoin blockchain  Wink

I just told you that the world might need distributed ledger technologies but not cryptocurrencies (and not distributed ledgers that NEED an overpriced high marketcap cryptocurrency like bitcoin in the bitcoin blockchain), basically saying that cryptoCURRENCIES themselves don't have a future and you call me a "shitcoin pumper"?  Cheesy

I don't know in what world you are living but the world is already moving toward cryptoCURRENCIES because they provide the incentives for developers to develop on top of them. A distributed ledger with no coins is a distributed ledger with no incentives that no one will care. Good luck with that.

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 01:41:13 AM

I just told you that the world might need distributed ledger technologies but not cryptocurrencies (and not distributed ledgers that NEED an overpriced high marketcap cryptocurrency like bitcoin in the bitcoin blockchain), basically saying that cryptoCURRENCIES themselves don't have a future and you call me a "shitcoin pumper"?  Cheesy

I don't know in what world you are living but the world is already moving toward cryptoCURRENCIES because they provide the incentives for developer to develop on top of them. A distributed ledger with no coins is a distributed ledger with no incentives that no one will care. Good luck with that.
Nobody will care about a distributed ledger where you can move any fiat currency or any asset and where you can build applications, smart contracts etc?

More like "nobody will care about cryptocurrencies themselves if you can move fiat currencies and any other asset using distributed ledger technology"  Cheesy

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 01:46:59 AM

^I suggest you read this enlightening paper:

http://www.oecd.org/daf/fin/financial-markets/The-Bitcoin-Question-2014.pdf

"THE BITCOIN QUESTION:
CURRENCY VERSUS TRUST-LESS TRANSFER
TECHNOLOGY"

Separating the useful (distributed ledger) from the useless (a cryptocurrency).

Wink

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 01:53:29 AM

^I suggest you read this enlightening paper:

http://www.oecd.org/daf/fin/financial-markets/The-Bitcoin-Question-2014.pdf

"THE BITCOIN QUESTION:
CURRENCY VERSUS TRUST-LESS TRANSFER
TECHNOLOGY"

Separating the useful (distributed ledger) from the useless (a cryptocurrency).

Wink

Oh financial institutions that dislike a currency they don't control. How surprising! So enlightening!

Now let see how many developers will develop with no incentives  Wink

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 02:13:25 AM

Obvious Ripple shill is obvious.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 02:18:21 AM

^Are you guys brainless zombies or something?

I just told you that the world might need distributed ledger technologies but not cryptocurrencies (and not distributed ledgers that NEED an overpriced high marketcap cryptocurrency like bitcoin in the bitcoin blockchain to secure the network), basically saying that cryptoCURRENCIES themselves don't have a future and you call me a "shitcoin pumper"?  Cheesy

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 02:23:15 AM

Now let see how many developers will develop with no incentives  Wink
What incentives are you talking about? I already said that the "bitcoin incentive to secure the network" is only in proof-of-work systems like the bitcoin blockchain.

What incentives?

Are you saying that an app developer only has an incentive to build applications on top of these technologies if he buys a coin and the coin appreciates in price? What are you saying?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: