Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:08:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is bitcoin not tulip mania?  (Read 1287 times)
Triton (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:46:50 AM

Why is bitcoin not tulip mania? or even why do u think it is?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:00:52 AM

It's not tulip mania, because it's bitcoin mania  Grin

Seriously though, bitcoin is much closer to the concept of money than tulips are. In what aspects? Please do your home work and come back to ask if something's not clear.
jballs

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 09:02:30 AM

In a word, utility. In an elaborate but succinct illustration... http://youtu.be/BzcEiszx09g

Where is the bubble, and what are the tulips?

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:07:30 AM

you should do a search on tulips here.. it's been talked about ad nauseum, especially on the economics subforum. calling it a tulip mania is like calling it a pyramid scheme or ponzi scheme. it's wrong. you may think BTC will burst like a bubble, and that would be a legitimate opinion.. but they are not tulips, or a pyramid/ponzi scheme.
Bobbydiggital

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:07:42 AM

its funny how many people are refering to tulipmania when talking about bitcoins, bitcoins are revolutionary, its necessary and will help people to be a little more free, i dont think tulip have anything to do with this. If im wrong it would be a good story to talk about once i will be very old. Smiley
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 09:22:23 AM

In order to explain that we'd have to spend hours and several pages explaining it to you and simplifying it down so ordinary people get understand it and I think I can safely say for most people here you just can't be bothered because your humouring somebody who doesn't want to learn about Bitcoin in the first place, but here's a short summary of what I've learned so far that you can research on your own which has consistently managed to affect price for me.

. Difficulty - how difficult it is to mine coins always affects the rarity of them and therefore their value

. Hashpower on the network - This directly ties into difficulty so if you see a huge amount of hashpower then that means something big is going to happen to the price

. Money supply - I'm not talking about price inflation, these are two completely different things, my theory is that coins aren't actually worth that much but paper money is so hyperinflated that the price are being pushed up to crazy highs because there isn't any price fixing going on, the reason the rest of the economy hasn't caught on yet is because central banks are yet again trying to make all their numbers look good for the general populace, gold and silver is regularly manipulated as an example but it's extremely difficult to manipulate Bitcoin without people knowing

. Nearly anonymous transactions - Do I honestly have to explain this again and again? You don't think the ability to make transactions on the internet and trade with people with your identity not being spied on by everybody out there isn't valuable? That alone in this era of surveillance is probably why Bitcoin spiked to $1000 nevermind the prices we're all looking at now

. No restrictions to trading with different countries -  Fuck the politicians, now if you want to help out people in a struggling country that has been paypal blockaded you can or you can send money to a friend without having to pay ridiculous fees

. Open source - I would never have taken an interest in Bitcoin if it wasn't open source, if you really do think this is a scam or a bubble, you've got some research to do on what open source is and it shows just how ignorant people are when the code is all out there and can be easily looked at and improved, people are already spamming their own ideas on the alternate currencies board and I think it's fantastic
Bitlend

Activity: 90

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:26:20 AM

"how difficult it is to mine coins always affects the rarity of them and therefore their value"

Not all rare things have value.

Just sayin.
jballs

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 09:28:58 AM

In order to explain that we'd have to spend hours and several pages explaining it to you and simplifying it down so ordinary people get understand it and I think I can safely say for most people here you just can't be bothered...

That's why I made the video. 46 minutes about covers it (actually my first one was 90 minutes but my rendering crashed...probably for the best). The world is tulips.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 09:31:23 AM

I have never heard this analogy with tulip mania before. Please indulge us all.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:34:05 AM

In case of tulip mania, the price crashed as more and more tulip bulbs were made available. However, since the supply of Bitcoins are limited, there is no chance of that happening with the BTC.
ar88

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:34:33 AM

because I can't send a tulip half way across the world in 60minutes..  Grin
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:36:58 AM

tulip mania started because tulips were new to a country and demand was high. the downful was that there is no fixed supply of tulips, and once everyone has them they can all grow their own and make supply outweight demand.

bitcoin however has a fixed supply. and as more people get bitcoins there are less left to get in the world. sure there are minutes/hours when the daily 3600 generated coins along with hoarders selling old coins out-supplies the amount of people buying that day. but that lasts for maybe 2 hours..

generally bitcoin supply (through mining) is always going to be outside of the hands of 'everyday joe' thus people will continue buying coins or opening businesses to get coins forever increasing the price

there are many mathematical formula's to suggesst bitcoin is still very early in its growth.

take for instance this scenario
imagine 1.5million people only ever put a single $10k into bitcoin. with todays slightly over 12m coins in existance that equates to a
market cap of $15,600,000,000 with a individual coin value of $1300.

thats just 1.5 million people, thats just an average of a persons tax free allowance for one year.

and with each day there are only 3600 new coins available which if you continue on the bases that each investor on average invests $10k into bitcoin ever in their life. then the newly mined coins would only allow for 468 new people to join the bitcoin ecosystem without the price fluctuating.

yes there are sellers that leave the bitcoin ecosystem, but the supply of bitcoins only allows for 468 population growth at a $10k per head spend. or 4680 population growth per day at a $1k spend. (you can play with the numbers as you deem fit)

now to put this into reality. i am only talking about 1.5million people so far in bitcoin and only allowing for under 500 each day to join in just t keep bitcoin at $1300

there are 7 billion people in the world and some of them want to invest ALOT more then just a one time only $10k investment.

bitcoin is still at the start of global growth. and there will not be a saturation point because there is no endless supply. bitcoin will never be a tulip mania

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 09:43:52 AM

How do you vote with tulips?

Or implement contracts?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:03:44 AM

Read the wikipedia article about tulip mania, not too long and clears up a lot.

Bitcoin is mania. Just it's own kind of mania.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 10:22:33 AM

My car is like red tulips.

My car is red.

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:25:02 AM

my peen is like tulips, as it has two lips on it  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: