Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 02:29:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best strategy for a newbie with about $10k to invest  (Read 1441 times)
bitintheghetto (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:30:16 PM

Best strategy would be to invest in Cloud Mining, as you have the option to opt out anytime you feel like.

I took a look at the cex.io site and the numbers seemed very bad.
Maybe I read them wrong?
Can you help here? It says GH/BTC 0.0747 what does this mean? 0.0747 GH/s for one bitcoin or 0.0747 bit coins for 1 GH/s?

If it is the former then $10k would get you 74 MH/s which is just pathetic. You would end up just losing money.

The latter on the other hand equates to about 13GH/s per bitcoin which makes much more sense. Hmmm. I might actually consider this. What I don't understand is how the maintenance fee works. I expect hat after about three to four  months you would want to  pull out your money and mined coins as difficulty skyrockets but I'm not entirely sure of the math related to the depreciation wrt maintenance and pool fees. The calculator just says 3% for each. IS that monthly/ daily does it compound?

I think i'll just email those guys.

And lastly, why don't they just mine the damn thing themselves? I can't imagine they have idle hardware sitting there waiting for someone to pay for CPU/ASIC time.
OC19850520

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:37:14 PM

The calculator just says 3% for each. IS that monthly/ daily does it compound?

It is daily. You may look at difficulty graph, it is increasing by about +25% every 11 days. Like here:
http://bitcoin.sipa.be/
katoshi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

to the core!!!

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:45:03 PM

you will probably waste most of the money. inform yourself first, get the lay of the land, mine a little with your current setup. difficulty is rising fast right now, your hardware wil be obsolete before you refinanced it, if you don't know what you're doing.

in the meantime, buy some bitcoins when they are low.

BTC 19snyDUzhDwxcNE2HV2HBiTGbmsKrzcZAV     LTC LiYqB2pvwbpYaSyXS6wVQUqmbE1MU58vB7
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:08:59 PM

Best strategy would be to invest in Cloud Mining, as you have the option to opt out anytime you feel like.
Maybe I read them wrong?
Can you help here? It says GH/BTC 0.0747 what does this mean? 0.0747 GH/s for one bitcoin or 0.0747 bit coins for 1 GH/s?

In the forex world, X/Y means the price of X in Y. It is an unfortunate standard created by people that obviously don't know math (which is ironic). So, GHS/BTC means price of GH/s in BTC, and the cost of 1 GH/s is 0.0747 BTC.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
chandrew

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:15:06 PM

Maybe I read them wrong?

If it is the former then $10k would get you 74 MH/s which is just pathetic. You would end up just losing money.

The latter on the other hand equates to about 13GH/s per bitcoin which makes much more sense. Hmmm. I might actually consider this. What I don't understand is how the maintenance fee works. I expect hat after about three to four  months you would want to  pull out your money and mined coins as difficulty skyrockets but I'm not entirely sure of the math related to the depreciation wrt maintenance and pool fees. The calculator just says 3% for each. IS that monthly/ daily does it compound?

I think i'll just email those guys.

And lastly, why don't they just mine the damn thing themselves? I can't imagine they have idle hardware sitting there waiting for someone to pay for CPU/ASIC time.

it means you pay .0747 BTC for 1 GH/s

i have tested the waters with .1 BTC into CEX, and i am at .108, with the price of GH/s on the rise!
chandrew

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:24:08 PM

Please don't invest in mining without first learning how to compute your expected return. Too many newbies blindly invest and end up losing money.

For example, on cex.io, a popular cloud mining site, 1 GH/s costs 0.074 BTC, but 1 GH/s will never mine more than 0.05 BTC. For every GH/s you buy on that site at that price, you will lose up to 0.024 BTC.

how do you calculate never mining more than .05 BTC? so investing in CEX results in losing up to .024 BTC? so invest, or no? it looks profitable atm!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:39:43 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2013, 03:43:07 AM by odolvlobo

Please don't invest in mining without first learning how to compute your expected return. Too many newbies blindly invest and end up losing money.

For example, on cex.io, a popular cloud mining site, 1 GH/s costs 0.074 BTC, but 1 GH/s will never mine more than 0.05 BTC. For every GH/s you buy on that site at that price, you will lose up to 0.024 BTC.

how do you calculate never mining more than .05 BTC? so investing in CEX results in losing up to .024 BTC? so invest, or no? it looks profitable atm!

When the difficulty rises, the revenue falls. The difficulty will be going up in a couple days so the return you are getting now will drop soon, and then again in 12 or so days, and so on...

To calculate the maximum, you estimate the future difficulty and add up the payments. With the difficulty going up so quickly you don't really have to predict very far into the future before the revenue drops close to zero.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
maxxoccupancy

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:45:07 AM

Also, for the buy and hold strategy, it's usually best to start buying (in a bear market) only after it's gone down for a while.  In the stock market, many fund managers and brokers leave some money in treasuries or even gold/silver until the market appears to have bottomed out into a valley.  Unfortunately, there's nothing to fill that position in the exchanges, right now; although some of us are working on that.

I would like to work on development of a polymorphic altcoin that maintains a stable value and is more resistant to fraud.
btc: 15diNSNVontYf5iUvQqnLSQJ9rCAHuwpyJ   betyourbits.com      LTC: LRqVTEPcS7uusMy7JDqYEUg6KqdhfRWC5B
DogECoin: DDHG719WNCCav5MWQQqyxLABFhZTG3jwX3     QRK:  QdKnP5SqoG9r4CNuFcY1oesaYUAsu1W5hF
Iwilechu

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:01:56 AM

My personal approach, if I had $10000 land in my lap, would be one of two options:

1. Wait until a more reputable ASIC vendor (read: KnCMiner, but up for debate) begins accepting preorders for their next generation of ASIC mining hardware, verify the stated hashrate will net you a positive ROI, and place your order as fast as possible. Usually, the farther from the front of the line you are, the less you'll profit.

2. Put your BTC into multiple exchange accounts, open a CryptoTrader Pro account, and let it manage the day-to-day trading for you.
daisotope

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:36:43 AM

The problem with getting into mining is that your returns over time are the inverse of this function:
https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate

Buying and holding BTC has proven to be easier and more lucrative for me.
willpower101

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:21:49 PM

My personal approach, if I had $10000 land in my lap, would be one of two options:

2. Put your BTC into multiple exchange accounts, open a CryptoTrader Pro account, and let it manage the day-to-day trading for you.

Thansk I'm going to look into CT Pro now.

The problem with getting into mining is that your returns over time are the inverse of this function:
https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate

Buying and holding BTC has proven to be easier and more lucrative for me.

Glad to see someone who knows their stats 101.

I can't remember what machine I snagged this graph from (genisis block) because I'm working on like 10 charts at once right now, but this is exactly what he's talking about above.

Although I have to say that buying and holding 10btc for 10k doesn't sound like a well diversified risk. Maybe when they were less than $400, and even then it was scary.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/d9f823c4-4886-44b3-9c9b-15bd02218c98/d0da39db65fbab32cf85fe1f36e612fa/deep/0/Bitcoin-Calculations.pngClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

This is true. But odolvlobo fails to include the future-value of the btc and the future-value of the GHS in his calcs. That's the only thing that makes cex.io profitable, if only mildly - hedging on the increase. Which means, in THIS CLOUD situation, I would recommend buying and holding over mining. (Something I RARELY recommend)
oshiba

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:37:27 PM

i think BTC mining is gonna be very very hard, like some said. unless you have this  Cheesy
http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/2/5165428/bitcoin-mine-in-hong-kong-uses-jelly-to-keep-cool

That`s a beast!! I don`t think that someone with just a small blade and high cost for power will be able to brace even.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: