Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:09:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New paper: Accelerating Bitcoin's Trasaction Processing  (Read 36280 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 01:39:27 AM

We note that block propagation times are the primary obstacle for scalability.

This is the root of the concern, there is no way to increase the TPS above certain level unless the propagation time for a large amount of transactions greatly improve (means worldwide upgrading of IP backbone and ISP infrastructure)

However, as discussed many times before, people normally don't change the bank just because it is closed during the weekend, they wait until the next Monday to do business instead.

Same, if people realize the bitcoin network worldwide transaction capacity is limited, they will also change their behavior accordingly. When the fee is getting very high, people will plan their transaction more carefully, periodically making large transactions instead of many small transactions. And this is good for bitcoin, since that will make more people treat it as a long term investment, and reduce its volatility

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 02:34:54 AM

This is the root of the concern, there is no way to increase the TPS above certain level unless the propagation time for a large amount of transactions greatly improve (means worldwide upgrading of IP backbone and ISP infrastructure)

However, as discussed many times before, people normally don't change the bank just because it is closed during the weekend, they wait until the next Monday to do business instead.

Same, if people realize the bitcoin network worldwide transaction capacity is limited, they will also change their behavior accordingly. When the fee is getting very high, people will plan their transaction more carefully, periodically making large transactions instead of many small transactions. And this is good for bitcoin, since that will make more people treat it as a long term investment, and reduce its volatility

Please don't take us to such a future. High fees pose a barrier to entry for under-developed countries.

A few cents of a dollar may not be much for US or EU citizens, but they're worth 10x here in Argentina, and lot more Africa.

Just for reference: currently if I'd like to sell a 1 Peso (ARG) item using BTC, I would have to pay 0.68 Pesos in fees (using a bare minimum of 0.0001).
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 03:48:30 AM

I agree.  That is NOT a good future for Bitcoin, and Bitcoin as an investment is far less stable than Bitcoin as a currency.

With an investment that is widely held but traded in small volume, a single trade involving a significant amount can make the market swing wildly.  If most coin is in the market most of the time, the same single trade has little effect on the market. 

Also, I consider it more important to undercut competitors for money movement than it is to charge according to the blockspace occupied - so I'd be all for making fees proportional to the amount transferred rather than proportional to the space occupied.  The miners might still prioritize tx by fee per kilobyte, but IMO that ought to mean that transactions in larger amounts naturally have priority to go through faster. 
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 08:10:34 AM

How much potential is there for a more efficient wire encoding / data compression?

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 11:45:41 AM

Hi all,

I'm a researcher at the Hebrew University in Israel, and I've been working with a student (Yonatan Sompolinsky) on a Bitcoin related paper. We have really exciting results that we are eager to share with the Bitcoin community. We would really like to get constructive feedback on our work from the many smart people in the community, which is why I am posting here.

Thank you for what looks like an excellent solution to a future problem that has troubled me for a while about BTC.  I honestly don't have the brains to analyze it, but just wanted to say thanks.  This kind of work is the road to the future of cryptocurrencies, and it is great that people are doing it.
yaffare

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:15:58 PM

If you are connected to 125 nodes, then for 200 TPS only the hashes already are 0.8 MBps:

125 * 32 * 200 = 800000 = 0.8 MBps

People often forget that.

Even if they can teleport the blocks and the transactions. The hashes alone are > 0.5 MBps.
GoldenWings91

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:35:19 PM

If you are connected to 125 nodes, then for 200 TPS only the hashes already are 0.8 MBps:

125 * 32 * 200 = 800000 = 0.8 MBps

People often forget that.

Even if they can teleport the blocks and the transactions. The hashes alone are > 0.5 MBps.

At maximum hashes would only need to be 16 8 byte first bits, likely even less.

125 * 8 * 200 = 200000 = 0.2 MBps

Support The Bitcoin Network By Running A Full Node
Node Stats     GPG Key-ID: 0x445DF2D8     Monetary Freedom Is A Basic Human Right
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:26:46 PM

Why would you need to be connected to that many full nodes? I don't see the need for so many connections. And SPV nodes only care about the transactions that concern them, which are always a very small set compared to the total that passes by on the network.

At maximum hashes would only need to be 16 8 byte first bits, likely even less.

125 * 8 * 200 = 200000 = 0.2 MBps

Aren't you mixing bytes and bits there? Bps normally means bits per second, not bytes. And 8 bits only for the hashes seems too low. You only get 256 different values, with 200tps you'd have lots of collisions. 8 bytes on the other hand is even more than the poster you replied to was talking about (he mentioned 32 bits, so 4 bytes).
GoldenWings91

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:35:24 PM

Aren't you mixing bytes and bits there? Bps normally means bits per second, not bytes. And 8 bits only for the hashes seems too low. You only get 256 different values, with 200tps you'd have lots of collisions. 8 bytes on the other hand is even more than the poster you replied to was talking about (he mentioned 32 bits, so 4 bytes).

My mistake I was thinking he meant 32 bytes.

Support The Bitcoin Network By Running A Full Node
Node Stats     GPG Key-ID: 0x445DF2D8     Monetary Freedom Is A Basic Human Right
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 10:34:43 PM

Going back to your original post:

The obstacle to scalability is keeping Bitcoin decentralized while scaling up; we know that Bitcoin can scale if we sacrifice decentralization - Visa and Mastercard are doing just fine. Ultimately you're proposing something that solves one problem - the high granularity of confirmations and the long wait associated with them - at the expense of scalability with decentralization. So don't claim you've done anything other than presented an interesting academic analysis of a specific trade-off possible in the system.

Peter,

I keep trying to agree with you.

One last try before I give up:

Surely you must agree that if there were no block propagation delays, there would be no centralization associated with scaling up. Blocks go instantly to everyone, and there are no problems with miners getting more than their share of the blocks.

No, I bet he won't agree on that.
Let's say we want the network to validate 1 million tps. Even if nodes communicate with each other using the ansible (zero block propagation delays) you need all full nodes to validate 1 million tps. How many full nodes do you think we would have?

If people stupidly complain about ASIC miners "causing centralization" or "SHA256 being less democratic than scrypt", wait to see what they have to tell about having a room-sized super-computer (I heard NASDAQ market execution computer is that big) alongside their ASICs machines for Pow. Well, they will need that computer even for full nodes that don't mine.

I guess the difference in our perspectives is that I don't think these are optional tradeoffs. If at some point bitcoin becomes mainstream, there will be an increased pressure to allow more transactions through (or alternatively, fees will soar higher than the money transmitters Bitcoin is trying to replace). You then run into several problems. One is a security problem against attackers. The other is a pull towards centralization. All I'm saying is that we claim to solve the first problem. The second clearly remains.

Bitcoin will never be able to process the tps the full dollar system (with all their banks hierarchy) on its own.
We need off-chain transactions, micro-transactions between two parties with transaction replacement, etc.
p2p currencies are a trust-less extreme, but there's other monies that beautifully leverage trust, we need them to complement each other (I'm talking about LETS and other local currencies, ripple-like credit networks, simple IOUs, etc).
Technologies like Freimarkets (the private chains part), two-phase-commit Ripple or Open Transactions are not as trust-less as bitcoin, but they scale much better.
So, yes, this is a tradeoff and we know bitcoin can't scale to be a global near-monopoly money like the usd is today.
Luckily there's monetary innovations out there that will complement bitcoin much better than national currencies do today.

EDIT: I still find the proposal interesting, just wanted to explain that propagation times are not the only obstacle for scalability.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
midnightmagic

Activity: 88
Merit: 37

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:21:34 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 03:55:03 AM by midnightmagic

Hello avivz..

If a heaviest subtree determines current network head, then two things will be possible with a 50% attacker that aren't currently possible now:

1) You can actually strip off head and the chain length can move backwards. (This includes rewinding back past a difficulty retarget, which is currently impossible.[1])

2) You can create a scenario where two mining factions create divergent forks which simply add to their own subtree weight, and the main chain length goes ~nowhere.

With the way bitcoin is currently built, neither of these two possibilities is.. er.. possible. All 50% attacks must, even though they rewrite history, move head forwards.

Whether this has any meaning in terms of risk to bitcoin users I suppose is another matter than the point of my post. Did you address these possibilities in your paper? I ask because I read a good chunk of it, but not all of it, for which I apologise. I am extremely happy to see academic work being done on bitcoin.

At the very least, I'd like to encourage you (as I am a random internet nobody Smiley to create an experimental fork with this idea built in as a testnet alternative.

Hrm.. I suppose in terms of user software, all current infrastructure which makes assumptions about the current rules would be exposed to risk by a switch to ghost-enabled bitcoind..

[1] maaku pointed out people may be confused with my terminology: a replacement of work can "rewind" a chain in the sense that the history is substituted with another history of greater work in a non-GHOST mainline: "Rewinding" in the sense I mean it here is to strip off the numerical topmost block so that mainline head is actually prior to the retarget point: using GHOST orphans it is possible to erase the retarget and make it historically as though it never happened.
midnightmagic

Activity: 88
Merit: 37

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:37:45 AM

Also, in the event this paper doesn't become an accepted norm for bitcoin itself, please consider applying the ideas to a p2pool-like mining sharechain. Perhaps there is some way I am currently unable to think of that it could be applied in such a way that DOA and orphans in general just *go away*.

p2pool in some future incarnation is currently the most bitcoin-philosophically-compatible method of mining, and Gavin has stated in the past that some form of it in C++ he would champion getting into the bitcoind mainline in order to enable longtail(my word, not his) mining by random people.
avivz78 (OP)

Activity: 21

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 06:37:49 AM

No, I bet he won't agree on that.
Let's say we want the network to validate 1 million tps. Even if nodes communicate with each other using the ansible (zero block propagation delays) you need all full nodes to validate 1 million tps. How many full nodes do you think we would have?

If people stupidly complain about ASIC miners "causing centralization" or "SHA256 being less democratic than scrypt", wait to see what they have to tell about having a room-sized super-computer (I heard NASDAQ market execution computer is that big) alongside their ASICs machines for Pow. Well, they will need that computer even for full nodes that don't mine.

Nobody said that propagation delays are the *only* obstacle. We said they are currently the *primary* obstacle, because currently you will run into the trouble at much lower tps.

I guess the difference in our perspectives is that I don't think these are optional tradeoffs. If at some point bitcoin becomes mainstream, there will be an increased pressure to allow more transactions through (or alternatively, fees will soar higher than the money transmitters Bitcoin is trying to replace). You then run into several problems. One is a security problem against attackers. The other is a pull towards centralization. All I'm saying is that we claim to solve the first problem. The second clearly remains.

Bitcoin will never be able to process the tps the full dollar system (with all their banks hierarchy) on its own.
We need off-chain transactions, micro-transactions between two parties with transaction replacement, etc.
p2p currencies are a trust-less extreme, but there's other monies that beautifully leverage trust, we need them to complement each other (I'm talking about LETS and other local currencies, ripple-like credit networks, simple IOUs, etc).
Technologies like Freimarkets (the private chains part), two-phase-commit Ripple or Open Transactions are not as trust-less as bitcoin, but they scale much better.
So, yes, this is a tradeoff and we know bitcoin can't scale to be a global near-monopoly money like the usd is today.
Luckily there's monetary innovations out there that will complement bitcoin much better than national currencies do today.

EDIT: I still find the proposal interesting, just wanted to explain that propagation times are not the only obstacle for scalability.

I agree with you that it is quite likely that BTC is less scalable than the dollar and other centralized systems, but it is worth it to try and get as close as possible. Plus, you still can't completely rule out the chance that someone will find a way to distribute the workload and not just distribute trust among the many nodes.
avivz78 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 06:45:13 AM

Hello avivz..

If a heaviest subtree determines current network head, then two things will be possible with a 50% attacker that aren't currently possible now:

1) You can actually strip off head and the chain length can move backwards. (This includes rewinding back past a difficulty retarget, which is currently impossible.[1])

2) You can create a scenario where two mining factions create divergent forks which simply add to their own subtree weight, and the main chain length goes ~nowhere.

With the way bitcoin is currently built, neither of these two possibilities is.. er.. possible. All 50% attacks must, even though they rewrite history, move head forwards.

Whether this has any meaning in terms of risk to bitcoin users I suppose is another matter than the point of my post. Did you address these possibilities in your paper? I ask because I read a good chunk of it, but not all of it, for which I apologise. I am extremely happy to see academic work being done on bitcoin.

At the very least, I'd like to encourage you (as I am a random internet nobody Smiley to create an experimental fork with this idea built in as a testnet alternative.

Hrm.. I suppose in terms of user software, all current infrastructure which makes assumptions about the current rules would be exposed to risk by a switch to ghost-enabled bitcoind..

[1] maaku pointed out people may be confused with my terminology: a replacement of work can "rewind" a chain in the sense that the history is substituted with another history of greater work in a non-GHOST mainline: "Rewinding" in the sense I mean it here is to strip off the numerical topmost block so that mainline head is actually prior to the retarget point: using GHOST orphans it is possible to erase the retarget and make it historically as though it never happened.

I don't think I understood your first point. I'll be happy if you could elaborate: are you referring to something regarding the re-targeting moment?

As for number 2: it seems like if there are two factions insisting on building split subtrees then one of these trees eventually grows larger than the other (even if they are evenly matched! See our analysis of "collapse" in the paper for this exact scenario) in this case one of those factions is not abiding by the protocol if it doesn't switch to the other tree -- this is a 50% attacker.
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:58:52 AM

Nobody said that propagation delays are the *only* obstacle. We said they are currently the *primary* obstacle, because currently you will run into the trouble at much lower tps.

That is incorrect. We are already seeing centralization due to the enormous costs of running a full node. The number of full nodes in operation is declining, despite increased awareness of bitcoin. And currently the network propagation time is too small to have any meaningful impact. The trouble spots in scaling bitcoin are elsewhere at this time, I'm afraid.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
avivz78 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 07:05:16 AM

That is incorrect. We are already seeing centralization due to the enormous costs of running a full node. The number of full nodes in operation is declining, despite increased awareness of bitcoin. And currently the network propagation time is too small to have any meaningful impact. The trouble spots in scaling bitcoin are elsewhere at this time, I'm afraid.

maaku, how is this related to scalability? You could have 0 transactions going through Bitcoin and still the cost of running a node would be high. The reason for that is high competition in mining brought on by the costs of specialized hardware. I don't see the connection.
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:27:50 AM

I'm not talking about mining nodes - I'm talking about regular old transaction-processing instances of bitcoind. These have declined significantly, according to statistics I've seen shared on #bitcoin-dev. I admit to being a contributing statistic here - I used to run an instance of bitcoind behind my home router, but no longer do because my family complains about the terrible impact it has on their browsing experience. At somewhere less than 1Mbps plus other combinations of factors, I'm already removed from the set of people able to run a full node (although personally I care enough to buy a VPS instead).

Bitcoin derives extensive value from its decentralization. If you increase transaction processing to such a point that even the average techie can no longer run a fully validating relay node with resources they have under their immediate control, then you've drastically changed the nature of the system. If you push further such that datacenter like hardware is required to run a fully validating node.. then what remains as the point? You'd have created a supposedly decentralized system that only the elite can afford to audit.

The question is now "how do we run the bitcoin protocol at a higher tps?" it is "how do we scale up the tps while keeping it decentralized?" That is a much harder problem.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
avivz78 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 09:52:22 AM

maaku,

That's very interesting. Can you pinpoint the reason for this? Can you elaborate on your setup?

In theory(*), there shouldn't be a very high networking load at the moment.
Blocks are currently under 1MB, and there is less than one transaction per second. This implies sending 1MB once every 10 minutes, + around 1/2 KB per second for streaming transactions. All of this should be multiplied at most by the number of connections your client has, but in practice, most nodes should receive flooded messages and don't have to forward to others (Edit: in expectation, every node receives a message once, and so every node should in expectation only send each message out once). This shouldn't be too prohibitive...

There is additional load due to new nodes that come online and need to catch up and so may download many blocks at the same time. Perhaps this is the source of the trouble?
(Edit: I'm also ignoring inv messages and other small protocol messages above)

(*) as they say: in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:26:50 AM

Is this another solution to the general's byzantine problem to prevent double spending?  If so can you rewrite the solution in terms of generals taking over a fort so a layman could understand it?  Thanks in advanced.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:35:41 PM

Is this another solution to the general's byzantine problem to prevent double spending?  If so can you rewrite the solution in terms of generals taking over a fort so a layman could understand it?  Thanks in advanced.

They propose a different to way to choose the correct chain at forks, which would reduce chain size and allow for a greater amount of transactions per second.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: