Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:51:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Unique way to cheat the forum- Paid bumping  (Read 521 times)
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:04:08 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2018, 05:20:19 PM by MagicSmoker

That should merit a ban for the AAN OP no? Other company accounts too?
How do you know anyone related to the project is behind this?

You are right, this would make a great setup to damage your competition..

What if the ANN thread is self-moderated by the OP? If the OP is not actively pruning shitposts after, say, 24 hours, then it seems reasonable to conclude this is not a case of a competitor attempting to tar the competition.

EDIT - for example, here is a rather egregious violator: the Roomdao ANN thread.

This is a self-moderated thread that is seeing a new post every 2-3 minutes on average, and virtually none of those 3400+ posts is worth a crap. Thus, we can safely conclude that this is not a competitor trying to frame Roomdao for incentivizing posting to its ANN.

I get that nuking the thread absent any solid proof might still be seen as drastic, so how about temporarily locking it for, say, 7 days, or until the OP cleans up all the spammy posts? If the goal of paid bumping is to keep a thread on the first page then locking the thread, even temporarily, will ensure it falls far, far behind. I mean, just a 6 hour delay takes you back 5-6 pages!

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16540

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2018, 06:38:21 PM

I get that nuking the thread absent any solid proof might still be seen as drastic, so how about temporarily locking it for, say, 7 days, or until the OP cleans up all the spammy posts?
Even if he deletes all the spam from bump bots, the goal is still accomplished: the thread stays on top thanks to the spam.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 09:06:11 PM

I get that nuking the thread absent any solid proof might still be seen as drastic, so how about temporarily locking it for, say, 7 days, or until the OP cleans up all the spammy posts?
Even if he deletes all the spam from bump bots, the goal is still accomplished: the thread stays on top thanks to the spam.

Yes, I imagine the bump bots will continue posting even as the OP is deleting. I'm not really seeing any downsides to temporarily locking the thread, then. There has to be a smarter way of dealing with this rather than individually deleting posts or banning users (however much both may be deserved). I mean, a mod could literally spend all day on that Roomdao thread and only tread water, so to speak; the spammy shitposts begin on page 1 and continue, unrelenting, for the next 170+ pages...

shilova

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 06:07:17 AM

A bigger problem with this issue is that now if no action is taken on this, it will encourage more spammers to use same techniques. There are enough excuses already given by members here to justify this.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16540

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2018, 08:03:29 AM

A follow up after reading this:
We ask our community to leave a comment and their opinion about ROOMDAO.
We ask our community to say something about us
That's incentivizing posting, and against the rules. The thread should be nuked. Let me just report it and see what happens.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
loggin

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 07:33:55 AM

Why don't you waste your time doing that and see how helpful it is. I doubt they'll even reply and the info probably wouldn't be relevant or helpful. All they'll be able to give you at most is the email address or IP they signed up with and I dount they'll have used one that can be tied directly back to their ICO.

Because i do not have any authority to do so. Do you think that it would have same impact if a nobody asks them for details as compared to someone involved with the forum like the staff.

Also, if you have seen the way micro tasks websites operate, there are websites which contact them and get tasks related to their web property removed. Some websites are thus excluded on these micro jobs sites forever.
aksen (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 07:59:30 AM

A bigger problem with this issue is that now if no action is taken on this, it will encourage more spammers to use same techniques. There are enough excuses already given by members here to justify this.

Actually, I have seen more such tasks on the same site after I posted this. This seems something out of the control of the forum staff now.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: