Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:47:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2013-12-05]China Bans Financial Companies From Bitcoin Transactions  (Read 2958 times)
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:55:37 PM

this kinda sucks ... complete 180 of their previous statement on Bitcoin ... =/
This will hinder Bitcoins adoption rate in china ... big time ... ugh...

In China the money is not with the people anyway.  The average chinese bitcoin enthusiast probably have .000001 in their wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:35:11 PM

This wasn't really unexpected. It basically just brings China in line with most other countries which already require registration of exchanges and require basic KYC/AML procedures like customer ID and reporting of suspicious activity.

US, Japan and many EU countries already have these restrictions in place. No banks in China (or anywhere else, except perhaps one or two) deal with bitcoin anyway so the 'ban' part of the announcement won't really change anything.

The specific statement that individuals may engage in bitcoin trade (..at their own risk) can actually be considered an indication that more restrictions are not likely to follow, at least for now.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:00:33 PM

Not sure what your expectation was, but I think this is one of the best scenarios I could expect.

Did anyone realistically expect Chinese government would formally recognize Bitcoin as a legitimate currency to compete with RMB? or allowing their banks to directly trade/insure BTC?

laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:12:34 PM

Did anyone realistically expect Chinese government would formally recognize Bitcoin as a legitimate currency to compete with RMB? or allowing their banks to directly trade/insure BTC?

No, that's why it's not clear what all the fuss is about Smiley
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:13:35 PM

No it's not, and no it won't.

They went out of their way to restate that they are fine with people using bitcoins for online transactions.  This is just a clarification of the policy for banking institutions.

I seriously doubt that any bank anywhere will ever be allowed to treat bitcoin as equal to the local sovereign currency.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:25:40 PM

In China the money is not with the people anyway.  The average chinese bitcoin enthusiast probably have .000001 in their wallet.

I seriously doubt that. BTC-China was dealing with somewhere around 150,000+ BTC per day. Most of the investors will be having at least 1 BTC.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:27:29 PM

Was wondering why my buy wall activated got some sub 1000 Lol

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 11:19:36 PM

But which prediction are you claiming the ownership to? Here's what you said:

Your question is answered in the part of my original post that you deleted (emphasis added):

The PRC government is not going to [willingly] let Satoshi Nakamoto dictate their monetary policy.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 11:26:41 PM

Everyone was well aware this would happen long before today.

This wasn't really unexpected.

You'd think so, but a survey of the postings around here last week indicates otherwise.  Maybe bitcointalk isn't the best place to look for reasonable views on this subject Smiley  In that case maybe the real news isn't "china cracks down on bitcoin" but rather "hordes of bitcointalkers oblivious to writing on wall".

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 12:24:54 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2013, 09:02:03 PM by LiteCoinGuy

It will be interesting to know whether Chinese banks will be allowed to process cash withdrawals by BTC-China users. At this point of time, I think that it will be banned. Can create hardship for the users.. right?

Why would they require the exchanges to register and at the same time not allow them to set up bank accounts to do deposits and withdrawals? Doesn't make sense. They only specifically ban financial institutions to transact in bitcoins. An exchange is just a customer of a bank, an exchange is NOT a financial institution. The statement says if you're not a financial instituion, you are free to participate in bitcoin trading, but government doesn't back you up with any guarantees, you take the full risk.

Indeed.  Upon a quick read of the news that is how I take it.  Basically, sounds like they won't let the banks get into it due to the risk they would be undertaking, and rightfully so.  But they said explicitly that individual s were free to transact in it, so it sounds like they are clarifying rules, not banning it outright.

i think thats the point.

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/8744/china-releases-first-regulatory-report-on-bitcoin-businesses/

also chinese exchanges can still operate and do their business. as someone already said: now china has their own KYC and AML rules, like most of all exchanges arround the world already have.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:42:09 PM

Your question is answered in the part of my original post that you deleted (emphasis added):

The PRC government is not going to [willingly] let Satoshi Nakamoto dictate their monetary policy.

So, you're saying you made 3 predictions altogether, none of which came to pass? You're right, I concur. 

Vires in numeris
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 01:42:45 AM

So, you're saying you made 3 predictions altogether, none of which came to pass? You're right, I concur. 

Troll harder, buddy.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:25:58 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2013, 08:35:15 PM by Carlton Banks

Is everything alright, elden? I'm only disagreeing with your view of the situation, you seem excessively pugnacious. Saying that I "deleted" a part of your post is pretty exaggerative rhetoric, whereas I thought my refutation of your points was pretty logical. Maybe I'll not comment on your posts at all, you're almost non-existent on the forum these days anyway!

Vires in numeris
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 08:21:25 PM

To understand this, you need to understand China's foreign exchange control system. Here's a summary in English.

The PRC foreign exchange system is governed by the following basic principles:
1. RMB, the Chinese currency, is not fully convertible into foreign currency.
2. All payments in foreign currency from the PRC to any destination abroad are in some form controlled or supervised by SAFE. The same applies to the remittance of foreign currency into the PRC.
3. Foreign currency is generally not allowed to circulate or to be used in lieu of RMB in the settlement of accounts within the PRC.

There's also a big distinction in China between "current account" funds and "capital" funds. In general, buying and selling cross-border with current account funds is encouraged, while investment using "capital" funds is highly regulated. Most other countries don't make such a legal distinction.

For a while, Bitcoin appeared to be a legal way around those controls. The new guidance from the PBOC is roughly that, while Bitcoin is allowed for transactions in goods and services, it's not allowed for "financial" operations involving capital funds.  Forbes writes: "The notice says that financial institutions and payment institutions can’t start using bitcoin, or exchange it for RMB, or act as a middleperson for bitcoin payments."

Bitcoin "exchanges" would be considered "financial" in this context. What the PBOC doesn't want happening is people in China buying Bitcoins for yuan and selling them for dollars or euros outside China.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:32:49 PM

I think this opinion gives the clearest picture:

"Essentially bitcoin exchanges in China and bitcoin itself is going to be treated as a "commodity" rather than a "currency" and therefore not going to be subject to banking and currency control regulations.  The only restrictions on bitcoin exchanges is that they will be subject to the standard internet censorship rules and they will need to get the identity of all users to prevent money laundering.  Existing financial institutions will not be able to trade bitcoin, but this is a *great* thing for entrepreneurs."

http://www.quora.com/China/How-will-Chinas-recent-crack-down-on-Bitcoins-impact-its-near-term-and-long-term-value/answer/Joseph-Wang-9

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: