Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:48:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's break into Satoshi's Vault.  (Read 1790 times)
BombLukas (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:45:52 PM

I'm working on a distributed NP-Complete problem solver, which I will post about soon.

What do you think would happen to Bitcoin if people knew there was a Bitcoin address hacker out there?  All it takes is 100,000 people working together...
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:48:42 PM

I think someone on Reddit did the maths, and it is practically impossible to crack someone's keys with current hardware (unless you maybe have access to one of the best computers in the world). I don't even think a large bot net would be enough.
BombLukas (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:52:48 PM

Not a bot net.  An altcoin.

But more importantly, what do you think would happen to Bitcoin if there was a network out there breaking into 1 address/week or so?
Jacce

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:10:55 PM

Not a bot net.  An altcoin.

But more importantly, what do you think would happen to Bitcoin if there was a network out there breaking into 1 address/week or so?

Probably people would split up their money over more addresses, I guess.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:12:02 PM

*Hint*
Major pools can combines their computing power to brute force private keys...lalala

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 10:15:08 PM

I think someone on Reddit did the maths, and it is practically impossible to crack someone's keys with current hardware (unless you maybe have access to one of the best computers in the world). I don't even think a large bot net would be enough.

Sure.  Google could probably do it, along with the US government. Grin
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:15:45 PM

I do not know the maths off of the top of my head, but there is plenty of it out there if you care to look, but it basically comes down to the chances, even with the number of people mining an "alt coin" of finding an address that has been used would take millions if not billions of years to brute force, so, fortunately for the bitcoin network, it is not possible to find one every week.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
gongomanny

Activity: 301

Ɓιтcσιη

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:16:15 PM

I'm working on a distributed NP-Complete problem solver, which I will post about soon.

What do you think would happen to Bitcoin if people knew there was a Bitcoin address hacker out there?  All it takes is 100,000 people working together...

No, 100,000 people is not enought, in fact nothing is enought, so strong the private keys are to bruteforce

Unless you have wallet.dat+keylogger active on fellow bitcoiner computer
BombLukas (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:22:39 PM

I do not know the maths off of the top of my head, but there is plenty of it out there if you care to look, but it basically comes down to the chances, even with the number of people mining an "alt coin" of finding an address that has been used would take millions if not billions of years to brute force, so, fortunately for the bitcoin network, it is not possible to find one every week.

I would be using an algorithmic method of cracking a private key, not brute forcing it, if that matters.

Anyway, I really just want to make an alt-coin for my own purposes.  I'm just worried that my alt-coin will break Bitcoin.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:27:48 PM

Nothing would happen.  You could have a trillion people/computers working together and it wouldn't make any significant difference.

BombLukas (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:33:00 PM

What do you think would happen to Bitcoin if people knew there was a Bitcoin address hacker out there?  All it takes is 100,000 people working together...

Nothing would happen.  You could have a trillion people/computers working together and it wouldn't make any significant difference.

Well if everyone's so certain that an absolutely huge network of computers all working together still can't break into a bitcoin address, then I'll go ahead and try to make my altcoin.
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:52:37 PM

trilli0n

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:53:11 PM

Let's do some math. The keyspace you have to search to loot a bitcoin address is 160 bits. Let's see, how much time you have to spend to have even a one-in-a-thousand chance of being successful.

Total keyspace:
160 bits.

Suppose you're lucky. You find your key while searching 1/1024 (2^10) of the keyspace.
150 bits left.

You have a device that can guess at a rate of about 1 billion (2^30) per second.
120 bits left.

You have one million (2^20) of these devices.
100 bits left.

So, you'll need 2^100 seconds to guess the key.

That's about 3 trillion times the age of the universe.
BombLukas (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:08:16 PM

I'm not brute forcing the key, I'm algorithmically solving for the key.  But I don't think that changes the math at all.

OK, even if I got all the computers in the world to work together and not duplicate work, it would still probably be impossible to break into a single address.  That's kind of comforting, but now I have nothing cool to do with my altcoin.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:10:53 PM

I'm not brute forcing the key, I'm algorithmically solving for the key.  But I don't think that changes the math at all.

Those words in that context are complete nonsense.

There is no known method of deriving the digest from a hash or the private key from the pubkey other than brute force (unless the algorithm is cryptographically broken and RIPEMD-160, SHA-256, and ECDSA are not).  That is the entire point of hashing algorithms and public key cryptography.   If there was a faster method than brute force the algorithms would be broken.

Not sure what you think brute force means but baring a cryptographic break or quantum computer capable of Shor's algorithm (limited to attacks on known PubKeys only) your options are:
a) brute force
b) see option a.
trilli0n

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:28:20 PM

I'm not brute forcing the key, I'm algorithmically solving for the key.

Get ready to become very famous!
BombLukas (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:46:17 PM

Those words in that context are complete nonsense.

There is no known method of deriving the digest from a hash or the private key from the pubkey other than brute force (unless the algorithm is cryptographically broken and RIPEMD-160, SHA-256, and ECDSA are not).  That is the entire point of hashing algorithms and public key cryptography.   If there was a faster method than brute force the algorithms would be broken.

Not sure what you think brute force means but baring a cryptographic break or quantum computer capable of Shor's algorithm (limited to attacks on known PubKeys only) your options are:
a) brute force
b) see option a.

Brute forcing a private key means to check every possible private key to see if it's the correct one.  That is not what my network would do, but what my network would do is really no faster.

But I've realized an entirely separate problem with my approach: It lets me solve hard problems, but only about 1million times faster than my current computer. Which still is not fast enough to solve NP-complete problems quickly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: