Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:50:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Pre-installing" Win7?  (Read 336 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:50:05 PM

I want to minimize down-time I'd usually experience deploying new Windows boxes. The hardware has not yet arrived, but I have plenty of hard drives on-hand to put Windows on. So, I want to pre-install Windows onto the hard drives with various software they'll require.

Here's what I'm planning to do:
*Load Windows 7 .iso onto USB stick.
*Install Windows as usual. When it goes to reboot after installing the Windows files, (before installing drivers, I *think*), I shut the PC down during boot.
*Load the hard drive onto fully-functioning PC with Win7 already on it - not as a boot drive - and place all the various software installation files I want onto the drive.
*Repeat with four other drives.
*When hardware arrives, install the hard drives and let Windows finish its configuration/installation, and enjoy ~10 minutes less down-time per box.

Does this sound reasonable? Anyone try it before? Odds of BSoD?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 06:09:09 PM

For anyone interested - this appears to've gone off without a hitch.

I also stumbled upon a fairly easy and seemingly-reliable (no guarantees - don't do it if you care about the data or drive) way to hot-swap SATA drives in Windows without any fancy tools or data corruption:
1) Goto Admin Tools-> Computer Management
2) Click Disk Management
3) Locate physical drive (bottom window) you want to swap out
4) Right-click the drive, click "Properties"
5) Goto "Policies" tab, uncheck "Enable Write Caching" option (then click "Okay")
6) Right-click physical drive again, click "Offline"
7) Wait for "Offline" message to appear (at least in W7, help bubble pops up next to "Offline" with "Help" displaying below)
8 ) Disconnect SATA power cable from drive, then disconnect SATA data cable.
9) Connect SATA power cable to new drive you want to swap in (using the same cables as the old drive!), then connect SATA data cable (same cable!)
10) Right-click the old drive in the Computer Management screen which is offline and click "Online."

Idunno if steps 4 & 5 are essential, but at least seemed like a reasonable fail-safe in case I made a mistake.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 06:27:21 PM

if the hardware is all the same, then it shouldn't be a problem. i installed win 7 on one laptop and put it in another.. but it did not load, so i had to reformat. i didn't even install any drivers and yet it wouldn't boot.
Haidang1796

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:19:14 AM

It sounds Okay to me  Grin but I not an IT Lips sealed

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: