Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:36:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Ixcoin - a new Bitcoin fork  (Read 128123 times)
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 02:18:07 PM

So... I got this unsolicited email:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi Gavin,

I'm one of the founders of the Ixcoin fork of Bitcoin. If you're
interested in trying out the new blockchain, we set aside a 5,000 IXC
bonus for each of you.

Please email me your IXC addresses if you're interested.

Best regards,

Thomas.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)
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=lct4
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

... and I'm trying to figure out why my immediate reaction is "yuck."

I guess I just don't see the point of IxCoin.  I just spent some time looking back through all the original poster's messages, and I don't see any prior discussion of goals of IxCoin, how it should be designed, etc.

If the goal is to let more people be early adopters of a new cyber-currency, then it seems to me giving early bitcoin adopters a bunch of IxCoin goes against that goal.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spacy

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:23:03 PM

If the goal is to let more people be early adopters of a new cyber-currency, then it seems to me giving early bitcoin adopters a bunch of IxCoin goes against that goal.

Maybe they want some people with a lot of BTCs in the boat, as very liquid investors ;-)
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:23:21 PM

So... I got this unsolicited email:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I guess I just don't see the point of IxCoin.  I just spent some time looking back through all the original poster's messages, and I don't see any prior discussion of goals of IxCoin, how it should be designed, etc.

I'm pretty sure you're right about that, the chain doesn't serve any purpose.  People seem to be speculating highly on it.  It's almost twice as profitable to mine ixcoin and trade for bitcoins compared to mining bitcoins currently.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:56:26 PM

It doesn't need a point - it's a fly in the ointment.
I bought some IXcoins for fun (though I'm currently down $2 on the $2 worth I bought). I think it's interesting to see how bitcoin deals with the flies. The more irritations the better - I want bitcoin to be constantly tested. A fly is trivial - a tiger would be a better test.
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:56:48 PM

Again with the people seeking higher purposes and making obvious fallacies: "why do we need another blockchain?" we don't, necessarily NEED another blockchain, but someone thought bitcoin would be better with a steeper initial rise so we get to the deflationary fun faster so they made one simple change. "But we're diluting the bitcoin brand by allowing IXCoin to exist!" Maybe there's *some* truth to that one, but in the long run is FireFox a better or worse product when it must compete with Chrome, Opera, Safari, IE etc? Is there a need for silver bullion when we have gold? Do we really need as many varieties of sliced white sandwich bread as I see in the supermarket? And how many kinds of toilet paper can one grocery store possibly sell? Competition isn't a bad thing and not every competitor need offer a drastically different product.

Edit: and while I was posting, dancupid said it much more eloquently and with fewer words Wink
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 02:59:56 PM

I am interested in making a new blockchain currency that is the complete opposite of IXcoin.

I am thinking of calling it longcoin or rarecoin. Basically you get 0.1 rarecoins per block so you need to mine 10 blocks just to get one rarecoin.
There will still be 21 million coins in total but it will probably take 1000 years until all the coins are made.

I will announce this well in advance and have an official date so that everyone knows when this will start the genesis block and everyone can have their clients and miners ready.

You should fork a chain that has a reverse difficulty curve Wink This way there is no early adopter envy. Also this way the more people use them and join the network, the more coins will be produced. Just a wild thought.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 03:06:38 PM

Dang, and the mining capacity keeps on increasing...

Pool Hash rate (MHash/second)   84649.9

Hey at the very least this will take some pressure off the bitcoin miners Wink A difficulty DECREASE is very much welcome for a change.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:13:40 PM

Meh.  Whenever anyone suggests changing the rules, we tell them to go make their own competing block chain and see which one wins.

This guy did exactly that.  Now we get to watch and see which one wins.

I only wish he'd told the devs in advance so they could have deployed a node with extra debug logging to monitor the chain reorg logic.  The first 24 hours saw an amazing churn in the ixcoin chain, making a spectacular test of the code.  While we can now have some faith that our reorg logic is sound and can withstand some serious beaning, we will probably never get another chance to record it working under severe stress.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:14:14 PM

Hey at the very least this will take some pressure off the bitcoin miners Wink A difficulty DECREASE is very much welcome for a change.

I think difficulty will be going up again shortly... and with another 4x difficulty increase it will not be worth it to mine anymore.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:19:36 PM

I think difficulty will be going up again shortly... and with another 4x difficulty increase it will not be worth it to mine anymore.

Not saying you are wrong but the last two difficulty increases people said the same thing. Maybe the one after the next one.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 03:22:44 PM

Meh.  Whenever anyone suggests changing the rules, we tell them to go make their own competing block chain and see which one wins.

This guy did exactly that.  Now we get to watch and see which one wins.

I only wish he'd told the devs in advance so they could have deployed a node with extra debug logging to monitor the chain reorg logic.  The first 24 hours saw an amazing churn in the ixcoin chain, making a spectacular test of the code.  While we can now have some faith that our reorg logic is sound and can withstand some serious beaning, we will probably never get another chance to record it working under severe stress.

Not necessarily. They can just create another testnet equivalent and invite people to mine it like crazy. I think with ixcoin it was a few people endowed with a lot of hashing power that raped the network initially. I remember seeing one dude put in like 23 Ghashes into it right when it was launched. But yeah I agree it would've been neat to have a node record network stats and whatnot and see what we can learn from a super rapid adoption rate.

Ixcoin breaking the ice sort of speak makes me wonder if we'll start seeing a lot more "mee too" forks.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 03:25:07 PM

Not saying you are wrong but the last two difficulty increases people said the same thing. Maybe the one after the next one.

Heh...pool hashrate is dropping Pool Hash rate (MHash/second)   78407

Someone with a lot of hashing muscle is calling it quits, or going solo. Pump and dump? Time to watch the exchange to see what price does.

Edit: ok, strike that..it seems the hash rate is oscillating wildly...I'm sure you guys can think of several scenarios as to why this is happening.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:34:17 PM

This should be a fun couple of days ahead.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:04:43 PM

Ixcoin breaking the ice sort of speak makes me wonder if we'll start seeing a lot more "mee too" forks.

I'd love to see that, makes for some quick profit if people are buying them far above difficulty ratio.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:09:33 PM

There's a guy here saying the code will break once it reaches 21 million coins
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36701.msg451411#new
caston

Activity: 756

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 05:08:46 PM

I'd love to see that, makes for some quick profit if people are buying them far above difficulty ratio.

Yeah, if someone decides to make one that matures faster than IXcoin please let me know in advance so I get a chance to mine before all the others with the mega hash power dump IXcoin for it.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:11:34 PM

Which makes it no different than a couple old versions of the bitcoin client. An oversight in the code doesn't make it a scam, though I am keeping a close eye on how quickly this one gets fixed...
Nasakioto (OP)

Activity: 172
Merit: 283

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 05:18:16 PM

Sorry you feel this way.

It was a gesture to motivate you to have a look. I'd be happy to donate your Ixcoins to an Ixcoin Faucet (if someone develops it).

Thomas Nasakioto - Upgrade to Ixcoin 0.3.24.3 before block 43,000
Ixcoin.org
Nasakioto (OP)

Activity: 172
Merit: 283

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 05:22:38 PM

Which makes it no different than a couple old versions of the bitcoin client. An oversight in the code doesn't make it a scam, though I am keeping a close eye on how quickly this one gets fixed...

Indeed. We're working on a updates to the Ixcoin client such as integrating 0.3.25 changes. The above issue won't come into play for a few years so we still have time but we'll address it in the next version.

Thomas Nasakioto - Upgrade to Ixcoin 0.3.24.3 before block 43,000
Ixcoin.org
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:29:35 PM

Indeed. We're working on a updates to the Ixcoin client such as integrating 0.3.25 changes. The above issue won't come into play for a few years so we still have time but we'll address it in the next version.

I think what you mean is you're going to use the code written for the bitcoin client...

Seeing as you didn't even changed some essential parts of the code i really doubt you will work on updating it on your own.

You are as much of a programmer as I am...  Roll Eyes

And by the way: who is "we"? LOL
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: