Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2014, 06:54:11 AM *
News: Due to the OpenSSL heartbleed bug, changing your forum password is recommended.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Ixcoin - a new Bitcoin fork  (Read 52677 times)
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 12:38:48 AM

Ixcoin is an alternative blockchain with shorter maturity. That's it. The name change is incidental to that. If you fail to comprehend that, I can't help you I'm afraid.

Ok, so...

Is it an alternative to Bitcoin, or an alternative to Solidcoin? Or did you just have no other option but to mix the two together when the rules you used for ixcoins blew up in your face and your get rich quick scheme was about to be destroyed because of how long until the next retarget?

It's quite a fair question, too. After all, you just said a bit ago:

My vision is for Ixcoin to be a direct fork of Bitcoin, keeping up with any Bitcoin updates, on an alternative blockchain with shorter maturity. Nothing more, nothing less. You are free to lay your preconceptions on top of that is somewhat besides the matter.

And, well, now it's not a direct fork. SolidCoins sure must have been a huge relief for you, too... I mean, ixcoin's mining rate was plummeting and you couldn't do anything about it ...

Until SolidCoin came out and you had a solution you could copy.

Ain't a Bitcoin fork any more, though... So your "vision" as you yourself just described it? Well, you sacrifice that when your vision of 580,000 coins is about to die with a sometime-next-year retarget, I see. Smiley

None of which, of course, answers my point that you don't even understand the code you're "forking", because if you did understand it, and knew enough to be running a fork in any sort of trustworthy way, block 1 would have given you all the coins you wanted, and you wouldn't have had to waste so much time mining block, after block, after block ...

I mean, really, if you had a clue about what you were doing, we could have all "benefited" from ixcoin much sooner. You could have released your not at all innovative client much sooner, you wouldn't have had to do all that pesky mining first. Too bad you're not actually a creator of anything, just a code thief with too much jealousy of Satoshi... who so much wants to run a Bitcoin fork, until it blows up in his face and he has to change the rules.

Think about this, folks, before you invest your time, other coins, or fiat in ixcoins. If you want to believe Thomas's motives are honest? That's perfectly fine. But motives aren't everything. Just the fact he couldn't fix ixcoins on his own, and had to wait for SolidCoin to provide a solution ... Come on. Do you really expect long term growth in a digital product where every single problem that ever arises will be fixed in ixcoins _LAST_, because Thomas will have to wait for a competitor to fix it first? And what are you going to do the first time ixcoin has a problem that the competitors don't have? That's gonna happen sooner or later, if he's mixing rules and code and features from whichever combination of forks and upstreams actually suits him...

When you're valuing your ixcoins, just remember...

If SolidCoins hadn't been released, your currency would probably end up dead once Thomas was the only miner left. You only get retargeting in the reasonably near future, and blocks that are more than once an hour ...

Because a solution that Thomas could copy was released by someone else.

Maybe Thomas actually isn't a scammer ... Doesn't mean investing in something we all know for a fact he can't fix on his own if it breaks isn't a really stupid idea.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie

Activity: 882

Lealana Physical Bitcoins and Litecoins

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 12:42:19 AM

You believe Ixcoin to be a scam as you have stated throughout the forums. And you sold this 'scam' to other people for profit. Therefore, that makes you a scammer. You intentionally sold something you believed to be a scam. That is the definition of scammer.

Let's look at the definition of the word scam.

Noun: A dishonest scheme; a fraud.

Okay so was I dishonest in anyway by selling my ixcoins on the exchange in which I mined alongside everyone else? No.

What was dishonest was the fact that you PREMINED 580,000 IXCOINS and claimed less than half of those ixcoins for "bounties" in which HONEST people would give their time and effort, which is worth something, for ixcoins which are worth nothing.

The mere fact that you premined such a large amount is dishonest because it is unfair to the rest of the users who come along.

Did I premine any ixcoins? No. So therefore I have not scammed anyone or was dishonest in anyway. I sold my ixcoins on the exchange at a high price that someone was obviously willing to pay.

No one agreed or liked the fact that you premined 580k ixcoins and basically kept the majority of them to yourself.

Your suggestions were trivial and absurd. Typical of a scammer like yourself  Wink

Below I am attaching a direct quote and link of what I suggested and proposed to you. I would like you to tell me where my suggestions were trivial and absurd.

LINK: http://ixcoin.org/forum/index.php?topic=67.0

Perhaps we could do a network restart where no ixcoins are pemined and some actual changes that mean something in the source code are modified to give them value. This would make things more transparent because then you are giving everyone equal opportunity to mine ixcoins as opposed to giving yourself a huge advantage prior to public release.

That would be fair and transparent. Until then many of us will likely stay away from ixcoins given that you could potentially crash the exchange(s) with your large amount of ixcoins in one sitting.

If this is not a money/power grab then you would be okay with restarting the network with zero premined coins and start the network off at a higher difficulty giving ixcoins more rarity because of how difficult they will be to mine them. Say the start difficulty was 10,000 instead of 1.

You would gain more interest in your project if everything I listed above was executed and the network was restarted.

But then again, your motives for having this network will show based on how you do or do not respond to this posting. Everyone else is watching too.

Yes doing what I proposed would indeed give ixcoins much much more transparency.

1. Restarting the network to make it fair to adopters of the currency would make ixcoins transparent.
2. Making MEANINGFUL changes to the bitcoin code would show the community that ixcoins is more than just a copy-cat bitcoin replica in an attempt to make a quick buck and be an early adopter, while doing absolutely nothing to add any value to the concept of bitcoin.

How are the two points, especially #2 absurd and trivial? It sure seems trivial to copy bitcoin code change 2 numbers and replace bit with ix and call it a "fork".

But you refusing to even consider what I have proposed shows that you are trying with all of your being to hold on to this scam and hope people buy into it thus making you rich by doing absolutely nothing and adding ZERO value to the bitcoin code.

kjj

Activity: 1022

Bitcoin Foundation - Lifetime Member

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 12:45:10 AM

Apparently I'm also a scammer, because I use dollars which I know the be worthless.

p2pcoin: a USB/CD/PXE p2pool miner - 1N8ZXx2cuMzqBYSK72X4DAy1UdDbZQNPLf - todo
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 12:49:25 AM

Apparently I'm also a scammer, because I use dollars which I know the be worthless.

You're only a scammer for using dollars if you disagree with the guy who embezzled millions of them from a bank and then let the FDIC cover the charges, thus making himself rich with no actual work that deserved the pay.

Just like you're only a scammer for selling ixcoins if you disagree with the guy who stole Satoshi's work, and then pre-mined over half a million coins, because he wanted to get tons of profit for nothing of actual value.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
smoothie

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 12:51:47 AM

Dollars although they are fiat and have basically zero intrinsic value are a medium of exchange in which a huge percentage of the world accepts as payment.

How many people or businesses do you know that accept ixcoins?

smoothie

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 12:52:24 AM

You're only a scammer for using dollars if you disagree with the guy who embezzled millions of them from a bank and then let the FDIC cover the charges, thus making himself rich with no actual work that deserved the pay.

Just like you're only a scammer for selling ixcoins if you disagree with the guy who stole Satoshi's work, and then pre-mined over half a million coins, because he wanted to get tons of profit for nothing of actual value.

+1 Well said.

BCEmporium

Activity: 518

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 01:32:29 AM

Yes,

Still ~170 domains out of millions ain't much.

However to sort that out I would launch a DNS backup service with blacklisting for gov's apprehensions. Therefore all the users would need to do is to point at one of those backup nameservers.

ie.
(...)

Been done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS_root

Not that I know of and not in that page at least! Backed up DNS is NOT an "Alternative DNS Root", not even a DNS Root at all, it uses the pretty common TLDs you're used to; .org, .net, .com, .uk, .us... not some mumbo-jumbo like ".web", ".my-fricking-stupid-tld" and alike.
All it does is to keep a backup of its own lookups and prevent a domain to be resolved to a blacklisted IP Address.

Let me explain better;

1.2.3.4 is a backed up/blacklisting nameserver
2.3.4.5 is a plain regular nameserver
7.7.7.7 is the feds IP that shows you a page with an eagle an redirects you to a youtube video with a sad story about a woman holding a mic.
8.8.8.8 is the real IP of thefreakingwarez.com
7.7.7.7 is blacklisted at 1.2.3.4

MAFIAA puts a lawsuit against thefreakingwarez.com for "IP" violation.

The feds request the root servers to redirect thefreakingwarez.com to 7.7.7.7

John uses 1.2.3.4
Ann uses 2.3.4.5

2.3.4.5 passes forward a nslookup from Ann and it returns to her 7.7.7.7 - so her browser will open the eagles and the youtube sad story
1.2.3.4 fetches 7.7.7.7 from the internet, but as it is a blacklisted IP it denies such entry, using its last resolved IP for that IP as result, so John will still get 8.8.8.8 and goes to see his warez site.
bcforum

Activity: 140

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 03:10:46 AM

But to implement a 'backed up DNS', you have to run your own TLD servers, exactly what the alternative DNS root(s) are.

If you found this post useful, feel free to share the wealth: 1E35gTBmJzPNJ3v72DX4wu4YtvHTWqNRbM
BCEmporium

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 03:24:52 AM

But to implement a 'backed up DNS', you have to run your own TLD servers, exactly what the alternative DNS root(s) are.

Nope, "root servers" are for TLD's and this backup doesn't have or create it's own TLD's, "google.com" to it is the same as "google.com" from your ISP.
Basically it just filters the output, doesn't "create" it.
Anonymous

August 25, 2011, 04:43:04 AM

You basically created solidcoin with 500 000 premined blocks. Thanks.

http://ixcoins.com/

[not]
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 602

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 04:44:18 AM

Friggen. Owned.
smoothie

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 05:04:30 AM

Friggen. Owned.

+1 and add to that no meaningful changes were added to their ixcoin release.

jtimon

Activity: 1120

View Profile WWW

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 11:41:28 AM

Back to Ixcoin I guess.  Looks like we're seeing some strong buy support at .0036 again. 

I don't get it. Who is buying?

Buyers are ppl that realist that the value of ixcoin is curently underpriced and will charge back over 0,004 btc within few days or so..

Value of ixc can be easily calculated comparing mining of both btc and ixc, theres almost no math required to realise that ixc is underpriced, especialy now when its hitting like 0,0001 btc.

I don't care how much costs to mine ixcoins. I think ixcoin is still overvalued. Digging wholes in the desert is also costly but it has no value for anyone.

For example namecoin was also neglected and seamed worthless, but now its at 0,03 btc per nmc, compare when that happens to ixc.

u buy now at price of 0,001 for 10 btc, thats 10 000 ixc, and wait for it to hit like 0,02 margin, then sell.
you would earn 10 000 x 0,02 - 10 = 190 btc (cca 2000 $)

Who thinks namecoins are worthless?
Namecoins can be used for getting domains. Bitcoin is used for trade.
What is ixcoin used for?
Yes, it could be useful for trade too, but why would anyone prefer ixcoin over bitcoin?
if you have 10 usd and want to purchase an item with a chain currency, the merchant will charge you 10 usd (1 btc or 100 000 ixc, the buyer doesn't care). The buyer will prefer to hold 1 btc over 100 000 ixc simply because it is more widely accepted.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
BCEmporium

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 01:28:28 PM

Namecoins can be used for getting useless non standard domains. - fixed
ElectricMucus

Activity: 910

Drama Junkie

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 01:50:03 PM

so?  Grin

From the immortal Dumb and Dumber "Were in a hole... We just gotta dig ourselves out"
jtimon

Activity: 1120

View Profile WWW

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 02:11:17 PM

They're non standard and they're useless now, but they can be very useful in the future.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
smoothie

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 02:48:36 PM

We've committed several changes to Branch 0.3.24.1.

These changes include a switchovr to new difficulty adjustment algorithm at block 20055. The current block count is 19960 so we should hit this count in about ~2 weeks. After that, difficulty retargets every 24hours with max increments of 10% and max decrements at 400% (uses Solidcoin's code). The aim is to achieve a much more consistent block rate.

On 09/01/11 00:12:51 UTC (in one week), the client will switch over to a new Ixcoin-specific pchMessageStart peering marker from the original Bitcoin marker. This change was recommended by a few although we haven't had reports of any issues with this yet. Better safe than sorry.

This will mean that all Ixcoin users need to update their client within 1 week. After that, their clients will likely not be able to communicate to other updated nodes on the p2p network due to the new marker. Blocks would also be rejected as they wouldn't include the new difficulty algo.

We wanted to have the marker and diff algo switchover together at a particular blockcount, but this might not work if some peers have switched over to the new marker and cannot update blocks on other peers using the old marker.

The changes are detailed here : https://github.com/ixcoin/ixcoin/commit/df30a348d0f914412a5a248f282afdd7ade95dbd

The IRC host is also now changed: https://github.com/ixcoin/ixcoin/commit/d8808bdf8eb109a25389b1745069955115c2940a

Any comments/reservations/suggestions would be appreciated at https://ixcoin.org/forum/index.php?topic=71.msg358. Anybody who can test this code, please try and get back to me. If we don't get any objections to the new code, we'll upload the new builds very soon.

Thanks!

Translation: "Once I've gotten all of coinhunter's code copied over and the current difficulty adjustment completes in about 25 days. Come back to mining ixcoins because ixcoins has much more to offer than all alternate block chains. Come back because we've fixed everything. I.E. COPY, PASTE, RECOMPILE. See you guys then"

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 602

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 02:51:20 PM

We've committed several changes to Branch 0.3.24.1.

These changes include a switchovr to new difficulty adjustment algorithm at block 20055. The current block count is 19960 so we should hit this count in about ~2 weeks. After that, difficulty retargets every 24hours with max increments of 10% and max decrements at 400% (uses Solidcoin's code). The aim is to achieve a much more consistent block rate.

On 09/01/11 00:12:51 UTC (in one week), the client will switch over to a new Ixcoin-specific pchMessageStart peering marker from the original Bitcoin marker. This change was recommended by a few although we haven't had reports of any issues with this yet. Better safe than sorry.

This will mean that all Ixcoin users need to update their client within 1 week. After that, their clients will likely not be able to communicate to other updated nodes on the p2p network due to the new marker. Blocks would also be rejected as they wouldn't include the new difficulty algo.

We wanted to have the marker and diff algo switchover together at a particular blockcount, but this might not work if some peers have switched over to the new marker and cannot update blocks on other peers using the old marker.

The changes are detailed here : https://github.com/ixcoin/ixcoin/commit/df30a348d0f914412a5a248f282afdd7ade95dbd

The IRC host is also now changed: https://github.com/ixcoin/ixcoin/commit/d8808bdf8eb109a25389b1745069955115c2940a

Any comments/reservations/suggestions would be appreciated at https://ixcoin.org/forum/index.php?topic=71.msg358. Anybody who can test this code, please try and get back to me. If we don't get any objections to the new code, we'll upload the new builds very soon.

Thanks!

Translation: "Once I've gotten all of coinhunter's code copied over and the current difficulty adjustment completes in about 25 days. Come back to mining ixcoins because ixcoins has much more to offer than all alternate block chains. Come back because we've fixed everything. I.E. COPY, PASTE, RECOMPILE. See you guys then"
+1
BCEmporium

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 03:07:23 PM

so?  Grin

So I rather ask someone to add:

BCERockx.ILoveBCE.BCE 123.123.123.123

to his /etc/hosts or c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts than use that service  Grin
Mousepotato

Activity: 700

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile

Ignore
August 25, 2011, 04:10:24 PM

Regardless of the whole underlying motive behind creating Ixcoin, I suspect that the copying of Solidcoin's difficulty change algorithm might very well affect Ixcoin's exchange rate.  All else being the same, if the change were implemented right now and given a few adjustment cycles to ratchet down, the exchange rate should be roughly 1/3rd that of Solidcoin (96 coins per block vs. 32).  I'm kind of tempted to buy a few thousand Ixcoins out of theorycrafting alone.

Mousepotato
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.