Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:17:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LTC ASICs imminent? GridChip claims 60 KH/s at 0.44 W  (Read 18025 times)
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:10:30 PM

what about the cost?

ok 4x the cost of a single 7950

so like $1200USD for a single chip, for 60KH/s?  I guess if youre gambling that the price of power will skyrocket this may be a good deal.

Or I could be understanding something wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:22:56 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 07:34:01 PM by Amph

i made a mistake it is only x2 the cost still not worth imho, cuz you are basically paying the bills in advance
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:27:24 PM

Nobody ever said there wouldn't be a scrypt ASIC, just that it probably won't be cost effective for some time.

Is that not the case here? Looks like we have a rough price for just the chip, no other supporting hardware like RAM?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
WindMaster

Activity: 347

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:35:51 PM

Looks like we have a rough price for just the chip, no other supporting hardware like RAM?

No external off-chip RAM, a small quantity of SRAM is on-die in each scrypt core.  The only external support components are 8 bypass caps on the supply rails, an external clock reference to drive the PLL, and a pulldown or pullup resistor on the clock output pin to select the interface mode.
instoftech

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:41:45 AM

You can get brief technical specs here at their website (English version): http://www.gridseed.com/main.php

Orders are not accepted yet, but the release date is expected to be announced soon (they said they would sell the actual items directly, not pre-orders).

They sold some engineering samples at the release conference, but the price seemed pretty high (400 RMB per chips, or roughly $65 per chip -- according to: http://www.cybtc.com/thread-3226-1-1.html ).

Is there anyone that speaks chinese and understand how to order a couple of board and some chips?
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:54:02 AM

Nobody ever said there wouldn't be a scrypt ASIC, just that it probably won't be cost effective for some time.

Is that not the case here? Looks like we have a rough price for just the chip, no other supporting hardware like RAM?

Sort of.  It looks like if they were to make a scrypt only ASIC, the power consumption for 330 KH/s would be about 2.5 W.  This was similar to the original 130 nm ASIC miners for SHA256, but this time we're on a 55 nm process node.  130 nm should use about three fold the amount of power in theory, so scrypt is slightly less efficiency in this ASIC implementation, but not by much.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:00:47 AM

Sort of.  It looks like if they were to make a scrypt only ASIC, the power consumption for 330 KH/s would be about 2.5 W.  This was similar to the original 130 nm ASIC miners for SHA256, but this time we're on a 55 nm process node.  130 nm should use about three fold the amount of power in theory, so scrypt is slightly less efficiency in this ASIC implementation, but not by much.

Interesting i wonder how long before it's really out on the market. Will be good for scrypt but the same pre order back order nightmare will happen regardless of what they say, i doubt they can manufacture to meet demand.  .

opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:38:39 PM

Who do I throw my money at and when?

You can throw your money at me now, and I'll deliver just as much hopelessness and despair as they will when you realize you're not getting anything Tongue

with just a tiny bit of effort you could deliver even more hopeless and despair.  BTC-Market, thats what I call a DEAL.
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:29:42 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2013, 11:45:33 PM by pening

In summary, if i understand right, they put 4 (four) LTC cores alongside a 160 BTC cores.  

The question is begged, why?  I can imagine its proof of concept, but they've lost die space that could have been better used for BTC, shirley?

Another question, if they are placing ram on the die, will that scale?  i.e. if they had 160 LTC cores what would that look like.  I reckon 2400 K/s for 17W by crude calcs, which seems decent.  That's equivalent to 4x 7950 for about 15% the power.  So, why didn't they just push out an all LTC device?  

Or is there less than meets the eye?

oh... and at 2.5GH/s aren't they waaaay behind the curve? 
kramble

Activity: 384

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:47:02 AM

Another question, if they are placing ram on the die, will that scale?  i.e. if they had 160 LTC cores what would that look like.  I reckon 2400 K/s for 17W by crude calcs, which seems decent.  That's equivalent to 4x 7950 for about 15% the power.  So, why didn't they just push out an all LTC device?  

Senseless wrote a useful summary on the other thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355268.msg3899931#msg3899931

I agree that its proof of concept, but the RAM takes up a significant amount of the die area so its quite an expensive one. Who knows what the rationale was for this device? Perhaps they had a slot available at the foundry and decided to use this as a test/development vehicle for new hashing architectures? If so then perhaps the next version will be scrypt-only, but I doubt it will scale to 160 LTC cores (see senseless's comment on the RAM I linked above).

Github https://github.com/kramble BLC BkRaMaRkw3NeyzsZ2zUgXsNLogVVkQ1iPV
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:13:00 AM

Well damn...

If it's true I'll be cranking my GPUs hard for the new few months until these come out -- ASIC introduction into Bitcoin caused a 100-fold increase in valuation, I would be surprised if we don't see a big increase with Litecoin too.

This is 0.00738 W/KH/s versus 0.300 W/KH/s for a GPU -- a 40.7 fold increase in efficiency.  This is about the same increase in efficiency as compared to BTC when ASICMINER first introduced its chips; I'm curious to see how they did it.
GPUs can be made more efficient though. A 7870 undervolted to 0.95V, hashing at ~410 Kh/s and pulling 5A from the 12V rail, consumes 0.145 W/Kh.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:18:52 AM

Well damn...

If it's true I'll be cranking my GPUs hard for the new few months until these come out -- ASIC introduction into Bitcoin caused a 100-fold increase in valuation, I would be surprised if we don't see a big increase with Litecoin too.

This is 0.00738 W/KH/s versus 0.300 W/KH/s for a GPU -- a 40.7 fold increase in efficiency.  This is about the same increase in efficiency as compared to BTC when ASICMINER first introduced its chips; I'm curious to see how they did it.

+1

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: