Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:17:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: China, Norway, Switzerland economies to take an Epic beating  (Read 3145 times)
laudub

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:48:22 PM

Btw the photo is photoshopped or real?

There are know documented waves much bigger than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Lituya_Bay_megatsunami

However if even a tiny wave like the one in that Photoshopped picture had hit a big city like the one in the picture, we'd all know.

It's one of the major risk for the U.S. east coast btw: there's a mountain in some Canary island (it's in non-continental Europe) that could see a gigantic landslide one of these days. If it happens, a 300 meters high wave would reach and destroy New-York in eight hours and pretty much the entire east coast of the U.S  Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mandelbert

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:59:17 AM

Are you seriously asking?HuhHuh??

It is photoshopped. The real picture has Godzilla eating some buildings too, but it was removed to prevent panic.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 02:03:42 AM

It 's photo of a tsunami not a photo of death star attacking new york.
In case that you don't know it already tsunamis can happen and have killed hundreds of people before.

Wow! I thought tsunamis only killed dozens of people, not hundreds.  Roll Eyes
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:46:10 AM

It 's photo of a tsunami not a photo of death star attacking new york.
In case that you don't know it already tsunamis can happen and have killed hundreds of people before.

Wow! I thought tsunamis only killed dozens of people, not hundreds.  Roll Eyes

Wow! I thought you just failed both on trolling and on sarcasm  Roll Eyes

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 02:54:16 AM

All the Scandinavian countries are slaves to their respective masters. Nobody should expect to find a safe haven there.
In a bigger perspective, the Scandinavian countries would have been better off merging into one state, but that train is long gone.
Paper shuffeling bureaucrats have made sure of that.

That said, the Scandinavian countries is using the same broken economy as all the other capitalists, and hence will take the same hit.

Agreed, on the positive note, crime is not that present as it is many other places in the world.

Yet Breivik shot over 70 people...

The entire Western world has a low crime rate compared with the globe's rougher regions.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
taltamir

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:58:53 AM

Also, the voting system is all on paper and manual procedures.
that is actually a good thing
qiwoman

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:02:03 AM

I believe there will be a divided planet soon. States Crypto and BTC Friendly and those against. I think we will see a huge influx of populations incoming to the Crypto Friendly countries. Maybe we will see a migration of Europeans tricking into the African Subcontinent to set up business like days of old?
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:33:43 AM

I believe there will be a divided planet soon. States Crypto and BTC Friendly and those against. I think we will see a huge influx of populations incoming to the Crypto Friendly countries. Maybe we will see a migration of Europeans tricking into the African Subcontinent to set up business like days of old?

That's quite the interesting thought!

Also, the voting system is all on paper and manual procedures.
that is actually a good thing

You may want to put forth arguments supporting that view. I assume you're looking into it from a data security viewpoint?

I'm more looking into it from a viewpoint of society and use of resources.

Today there are hundreds if not thousands of public buldings that welcome the voters. Very many voters go by car, doing a trip they otherwise would not do. This makes for lost leisure time and increased emissions. At the same time, there's a lot of man hours wasted, and probably also lots of money wasted, that a team of a few highly skilled programmers could solve.

A system with strong cryptography and high security where people could vote from their homes, that's what should be the ideal, if you ask me. Today there exist a page called norge.no where people can do a lot of stuff online. They have to log in, and they only get access through proving their identity. So there's nothing wrong about voting taking place at the same place.

Electronic voting would save a lot of time for everybody, and is the only right thing to do in such a modern age as we're in today. Still in my opinion.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:43:51 AM

A system with strong cryptography and high security where people could vote from their homes, that's what should be the ideal, if you ask me. Today there exist a page called norge.no where people can do a lot of stuff online. They have to log in, and they only get access through proving their identity. So there's nothing wrong about voting taking place at the same place.

It is actually a non-trivial problem.  If you login with your strong identity to vote then the government would know exactly who you voted for.  That is kinda a bad thing in secret elections.   There are potential solutions but understand that if it was that easy it would be already be done.

Electronic voting if done wrong is very easy to manipulate and honestly governments are about the worst entities when it comes to making secure public systems.

A good electronic voting system would
a) only allow authorized persons to vote and only vote once
b) not link the vote to any persons
c) allow any person to validate their vote was counted (crowd sourced auditing)
d) in the event a persons vote isn't counted provide a method to definitively prove or disprove the claim of voting irregularity.

Until governments get it right, there is nothing wrong with good ole paper.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:06:56 AM

It is actually a non-trivial problem.  If you login with your strong identity to vote then the government would know exactly who you voted for.  That is kinda a bad thing in secret elections.   There are potential solutions but understand that if it was that easy it would be already be done.

Very good point. I didn't think of that when I wrote my previous post. But please do not underestimate the Norwegian govt. when it comes to getting things done, it usually takes a very very very long time to get anything done, and when it is first done, it usually goes over budget and have a lot of issues in the beginning.

Electronic voting if done wrong is very easy to manipulate and honestly governments are about the worst entities when it comes to making secure public systems.

Yes, you would have to trust the people running the system. But if you had several independent experts, perhaps with various political associations, it would be hard to have them collude without it being detected, would it not? I do not see anything wrong in having the system open sourced either, so a lot of eyes could look at it.

A good electronic voting system would
a) only allow authorized persons to vote and only vote once
b) not link the vote to any persons
c) allow any person to validate their vote was counted (crowd sourced auditing)
d) in the event a persons vote isn't counted provide a method to definitively prove or disprove the claim of voting irregularity.

Haven't there been some systems discussed where a system similar to bitcoin could be used for voting? Votecoin? Each party could set up their own receiving address. This would be public for everyone to see. Then each voter was given a coin. And voting took place by sending the votecoin to the address of the party the voter wanted to support. When the election was finished, you could simply check the balance of the public address of the party, and this was available for everyone to see. Of course there would be the need for some scheme to deliver the coins to voters eligible to receive it.

And at the very least, there could be voting machines in the buildings were voting takes place. It must be a night mare to count all the votes manually.

And regarding rigging, I've heard of countries where entire vans transporting votes gets changed for another van with the 'right' votes. So I guess cheating is something that could be present both with electronic and paper voting.

I think a system where you have auditors, even several layers of them, and safeguards in place could work well.

Hm.. regarding the votecoin system again, I had an idea.

What about the voter logging in to a centralized portal, getting an authorization code. This authcode could be inputted in to an open source client, and the code would allow for the creation of a privkey with corresponding votecoinaddress. and loading the address with 1 votecoin. The address would be generated randomly so it could not be tracked back to a particular user. Of course this is far too complicated for the average user, but it's interesting as an intellectual exercise.

Anyway, I recently read about Triangular trade and how Norwegians and other europeans participated in this in the old age. First Textiles, rum and manufactured goods were shipped by boat to Africa, then slaves were brought from Africa to America, and from the return trip from America, Sugar, tobacco and cotton were brought to Europe.

So lots of exploitation by the Europeans to enrich themselves. How ironic would it not be if bitcoin businesses started to emigrate to Africa to avoid the chains of their slave masters?

Until governments get it right, there is nothing wrong with good ole paper.

True. But still very old fashioned, and a lot of waste imo.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: