Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:21:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] 2 replacement Avalon blades  (Read 924 times)
allinvain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 02:02:30 PM

I'm looking for two reasonably priced replacement Avalon 23 GH blades. Two from my batch 3 unit died (smoke and glory) for some reason and the ones on the avalon store are overpriced in my opinion so I'm hoping someone can hook me up with a better deal.

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 02:19:29 PM

Shit, I posted this in the wrong section. Mod can you please move it to the "Computer Hardware" section of the marketplace. Thanks.

mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:54:38 PM

Shit, I posted this in the wrong section. Mod can you please move it to the "Computer Hardware" section of the marketplace. Thanks.

Aren't these going for around 1BTC with ready stock? You should be able to get them direct from http://avalon-asics.com/product/avalon-gen1-module/

Cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 07:07:02 PM

Aren't these going for around 1BTC with ready stock? You should be able to get them direct from http://avalon-asics.com/product/avalon-gen1-module/

Cheers

lol I know that Smiley It looks like you did not read completely my first post. I don't want to buy directly from Avalon at their price. At 1 btc it's not worth it as for that I might be able to find far more hashing power and probably with smaller power consumption.

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:22:43 PM

What are you doing with your dead blades?
allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 03:55:22 AM

Perform black magic rituals with them? I dunno to be honest, probably nothing other than just keep them. I plan to bring it to some electronics repair shop in the lucky chance that it's just a blown capacitor or something repairable. If it's a burnt chip or something similar to the stories I've heard in the avalon tech support thread then I would have no clue how that can be repaired.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 04:52:34 AM

Perform black magic rituals with them? I dunno to be honest, probably nothing other than just keep them. I plan to bring it to some electronics repair shop in the lucky chance that it's just a blown capacitor or something repairable. If it's a burnt chip or something similar to the stories I've heard in the avalon tech support thread then I would have no clue how that can be repaired.

I thought the Avalon architecture allowed for a dead chip?

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 03:58:54 PM

I thought the Avalon architecture allowed for a dead chip?

I am not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say no. I think though what is dead is just some or one capacitor, as when it failed smoke came out from the top of the blade so likely either one of the capacitors or the entire sub-board (the avalon blade is made up of smaller segments) is dead, but definitely something near the top side of the blade.

KGBSlim

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CoinSlingin

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 01:39:36 AM

Well I thought I had you 2 Blades and just got txt saying they were gone as I was typing I located some for you... Happy Hunting man! Sorry

Tips - 16AbA3b2GRR37t6RasVJmoxXTGuGUE1PAP
allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 07:43:57 AM

Well I thought I had you 2 Blades and just got txt saying they were gone as I was typing I located some for you... Happy Hunting man! Sorry

It's ok, thanks for trying though! I think I may have found someone willing to sell me a complete 3 module unit so that should nicely replace the missing hashing power.

KGBSlim

CoinSlingin

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:47:27 PM

It's ok, thanks for trying though! I think I may have found someone willing to sell me a complete 3 module unit so that should nicely replace the missing hashing power.

Well thats some good news!!

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 03:31:30 AM

It is good news, however I ran out of room to expand. I am in a mad search to find some place to rent to build a hosting facility.

KGBSlim

CoinSlingin

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:38:19 AM

It is good news, however I ran out of room to expand. I am in a mad search to find some place to rent to build a hosting facility.

Good luck finding a place man. I found a place to host actually at a former auto repair garage. Just dont know what I would do in the summer as there is no A/C just fans in the garage itself. If I could get by that I would gladly host for some people. Maybe I could start next year in fall and make enough coins to put in some real A/C before it got hot enough again. Anyways Cheers man!

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 09:19:00 AM

Good luck finding a place man. I found a place to host actually at a former auto repair garage. Just dont know what I would do in the summer as there is no A/C just fans in the garage itself. If I could get by that I would gladly host for some people. Maybe I could start next year in fall and make enough coins to put in some real A/C before it got hot enough again. Anyways Cheers man!

If the owner of the building will let you punch a few holes through the concrete blocks you can put in one or more of those portable air conditioning units. If you don't mind me asking how big is your facility (square feet) and how much you paying to rent/lease it (I'm assuming it's lease as it seems at least form it's tough to find someone that will merely rent you such industrial type of locations).

You might be able to get by even in the summer if you had massive airflow. For that you will need a way to exhaust all that hot air at a rapid rate in order to prevent the air from stagnating and the heat from building up.

Cheers!

KGBSlim

CoinSlingin

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:20:21 AM

It would actually be renting 1 whole stall, which can fit a full size SUV in it and still have working room to move around it. Very high ceiling also. Can probably get it for ~650.00 per month plus utilities. Its 1 of my best friends shop he owns. He is looking torwards retirement so he doesnt have a ton of work as it is. He would love to have the extra income as slow as he is, and he would even love it more to have a lease for longer time. So it wouldnt be a place id get rushed out of. There actually is windows on the side of stall where id be. Heck I even thought about the portable A/C units(A huge 1) to maybe use. The building is older so the insulation is terrible. He already told me id have to have insurance and have him on his policy etc so he is serious. Really thinking about doin this but id want to do it legit where nobody had to worry about scammage. Sucks that is so casual in the community of Bitcoin, makes the days of random Nigerian Princes contacting me seem glorious! lol. But another sweet thing is the garage is set up for heavy machinery so I wouldnt have the BS power issues some are facing.

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 03:57:15 PM

It would actually be renting 1 whole stall, which can fit a full size SUV in it and still have working room to move around it. Very high ceiling also. Can probably get it for ~650.00 per month plus utilities. Its 1 of my best friends shop he owns. He is looking torwards retirement so he doesnt have a ton of work as it is. He would love to have the extra income as slow as he is, and he would even love it more to have a lease for longer time. So it wouldnt be a place id get rushed out of. There actually is windows on the side of stall where id be. Heck I even thought about the portable A/C units(A huge 1) to maybe use. The building is older so the insulation is terrible. He already told me id have to have insurance and have him on his policy etc so he is serious. Really thinking about doin this but id want to do it legit where nobody had to worry about scammage. Sucks that is so casual in the community of Bitcoin, makes the days of random Nigerian Princes contacting me seem glorious! lol. But another sweet thing is the garage is set up for heavy machinery so I wouldnt have the BS power issues some are facing.

Nice. Power and cooling are #1 IMHO. In the winter you can take advantage of the cold outside air to cool the beasts, and in the summer you may have to run the hardware a bit hotter, but most chips can run hot without harm. What I'm saying is that even if you can keep the average ambient temp to 24c or 25 you should still be ok. No need to go crazy and push it down to 18 or 19, or 20 as some people require or do in a more data center type of scenario. The key is to minimize costs as eventually mining will be a slicing margins type of game. Hey even if it looks a bit ghetto, as long as it works and it's secure go for it Smiley

But as far as offering hosting for other people I would recommend not doing that on a big scale. It's a support nightmare. Miners are 10x more anal about any downtime or issues. Any downtime and they are literally losing money. It's not like home internet where if it goes down for a few hours or 1 day you're stuck with forum or facebook withdrawal symptoms. Also if you do host for other people even on a small scale be careful what hardware you accept. Some hardware is just inherently more unstable or finicky - perfect example of this is bitfury gear. If someone has to physically handle the hardware ask yourself do you really want to do that at 3'o'clock in the morning.

KGBSlim

CoinSlingin

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 09:30:48 PM

Nice. Power and cooling are #1 IMHO. In the winter you can take advantage of the cold outside air to cool the beasts, and in the summer you may have to run the hardware a bit hotter, but most chips can run hot without harm. What I'm saying is that even if you can keep the average ambient temp to 24c or 25 you should still be ok. No need to go crazy and push it down to 18 or 19, or 20 as some people require or do in a more data center type of scenario. The key is to minimize costs as eventually mining will be a slicing margins type of game. Hey even if it looks a bit ghetto, as long as it works and it's secure go for it Smiley

But as far as offering hosting for other people I would recommend not doing that on a big scale. It's a support nightmare. Miners are 10x more anal about any downtime or issues. Any downtime and they are literally losing money. It's not like home internet where if it goes down for a few hours or 1 day you're stuck with forum or facebook withdrawal symptoms. Also if you do host for other people even on a small scale be careful what hardware you accept. Some hardware is just inherently more unstable or finicky - perfect example of this is bitfury gear. If someone has to physically handle the hardware ask yourself do you really want to do that at 3'o'clock in the morning.

Good points there! I guess im just thrilled to be a part of Bitcoin and ive been trying to get into actual business with it. All of the same nightmares I worry about hosting my own equipment would be compounded if it was not my Rigs running but actual clients. Wondering how much longer mining is even going to be realistic to the average Joe at home on standard electric setup etc...Anyways good talking to you allinvain!

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 10:38:35 PM

Good points there! I guess im just thrilled to be a part of Bitcoin and ive been trying to get into actual business with it. All of the same nightmares I worry about hosting my own equipment would be compounded if it was not my Rigs running but actual clients. Wondering how much longer mining is even going to be realistic to the average Joe at home on standard electric setup etc...Anyways good talking to you allinvain!

I think the average joe miner still has some life left in him, but the trend seems to be towards centralized big mining farms. In the end it's the ASIC manufacturers that will dominate the mining scene. As always he with greater resources can more easily get more resources. Bitcoin was never meant to be egalitarian.

Definitely nice talking to you as well.

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 12:06:01 AM

I am going to lock this thread. Moderators please close it.

I have decided to sell my Avalon miners so I won't be needing any replacement modules. And so ends my bittersweet adventure with Avalon hardware.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: