Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:12:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on gpu based cloud services  (Read 9010 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 10:46:23 AM

Hi guys,
I know that mining on GPU cloud based services may seem rather odd,but I'd like to run experiments on this simply because I can't have access to work computers over the holidays (due to a fire some months back affecting certain areas I think).I discovered such a service called:http://www.hoopoe-cloud.com/

It's more for general use but if someone can help me find other GPU cloud based services that I can access for free (limited service is ok as this is an experiment not a serious mining job) and can use for mining then that's ok.

I'd also like someone who is more knowledgeable than me to create a way of using such services for mining.I know that amazon do allow such a thing but how to access the free tier of service (and to make sure i don't get charged for anything).

Any replies will be welcome thank you (as long as they're helpful) :-)

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flyswatta

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 12:25:49 PM

I noticed that it has a big "NVIDIA Tesla" logo. My guess is that you'll get amazon hashrates. Iirc, 70 MH/s/gpu
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 12:36:45 PM

There's lots of previous discussions to be dug up through Google searches regarding Amazons GPU service and Bitcoin mining though it has been proved to be completely not profitable, for example see this analysis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7573.msg111156#msg111156

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 01:51:42 PM

Thanks for letting me know what to expect.Even though I'll be getting rates of 70MHash/s at beat,it's the equivalent of having 5 work computers running this for me (as they have fast CPUs but weak GPUs). I plan on using the free service tiers on multiple cloud GPU based sites so that I can get an extra trickle of bitcoins for no cost to me.I also have to meet eco targets now so I'll have to outsource my mining at some point so that my main 2 comps won't be on so often (17hrs a day eats up  lotta energy for 2 comps)

How can I do this on Amazons cloud? Can you guys also help me find other GPU cloud based services that I can use for mining for free (they have to allow the scripts to run on the free tiers),as I need to run my experiments,gather the info i get from those experiments and then use it in a film at some point.

flyswatta

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 01:53:21 PM

Here's a how to:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8405.0
shotgun

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 07:30:08 PM

waste of time. you realize that amazon and other providers aren't going to put up with you benefiting from their free services for long, right? All the time you'll spend setting this stuff up for what - 0.5btc?

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
flyswatta

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 08:37:20 PM

IIRC, the free amazon service is for like a month of 24x7 and is CPU only.  Just a lightweight VM ends up running $50/$60 a month.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 12:43:31 AM

Even though I'll be getting rates of 70MHash/s at beat,it's the equivalent of having 5 work computers running this for me (as they have fast CPUs but weak GPUs).

put one cheap 5770 into one of those work computers and get 200Mhash. or find a way to sell your services for btc and make better profit/time spent Wink

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
shotgun

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 12:01:45 AM

I don't understand why people keep bringing up cloud computing for mining. Do the OPs not understand that cloud services do not save you money (especially for mining)! cloud computing is more costly than physical servers even for enterprises (most of the time) because you are actually paying for the ability to rapidly support operational capacity growth without standing up physical hardware. cloud bandwidth is more $ than regular, data storage is more $ than regular, computing time is more $ than regular - businesses pay the extra $ for the flexibility of cloud services. just because amazon and others have a month of free service doesn't mean you're going to get anything useful for mining in that time period.

so sick of cloud threads - OP just get a 5830 or 6870 and be done with it. are newbs not learning the basics these days or what? it should be obvious that cloud services are not good for mining if you understand what makes good mining hardware.

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: