Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:43:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transparent mining, or What makes Nxt a 2nd generation currency  (Read 35795 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 08:36:32 AM

Is this correct?

No. Nxt forging works the same way as Bitcoin does. U can mine a block even with CPU, chance is very low, but reward is very high. In the long run everyone will get exactly the same ROI.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:57:10 PM

not sure if this has been asked, but if transparent miing allows the network to know who will generate the next block, then what is to keep our adversary from also finding out who it is and then DDOSing the ever living hell out that client?
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:25:03 PM

not sure if this has been asked, but if transparent miing allows the network to know who will generate the next block, then what is to keep our adversary from also finding out who it is and then DDOSing the ever living hell out that client?

If a forging node can't handle much traffic it can forge behind Tor.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1122

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:34:56 PM

Ohh, that's one of the wrong answers.  That's just saying "not my problem" which means you have no solution.  I was actually thinking this would work until you failed to answer that.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:46:18 PM

Ohh, that's one of the wrong answers.  That's just saying "not my problem" which means you have no solution.  I was actually thinking this would work until you failed to answer that.

I know that u just trolling. Welcome to the box with other trolls.
virtualaddict

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:48:11 PM

Nxt just flew passed Mastercoin's marketcap  Grin

As I understand it, the difference in function between Mastercoin and Nxt is that Mastercoin requires BTC to function whereas Nxt could replace BTC entirely.
xibeijan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:01:17 PM

"Outside the network", do you mean the block chain cannot be forked?

I mean that unlike ASICs, that can be created by someone, noone can create NXT coins (which r like ASICs in PoS currency) and bring them into the system.

I think the question is:

What happens if someone has the NXT source code, creates a new genesis block and creates and entirely new NXT network, with an entirely new supply of NXT (on this second network), with a completely new block chain that is longer than the NXT one, then joins the NXT network?

Notable projects 2019: Semux, Dero, Wagerr, BEAM
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:13:20 PM

What happens if someone has the NXT source code, creates a new genesis block and creates and entirely new NXT network, with an entirely new supply of NXT (on this second network), with a completely new block chain that is longer than the NXT one, then joins the NXT network?

Nothing. He won't be able to catch the blocks nor able to push his own blocks/transactions.
mczarnek

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:50:20 PM

So it's closed source but as someone pointed out, it is possible to decompile that.

But as I understand it, individual 'miners' take turns approving transactions, so what prevents people from making it so that every time it is their turn to mine, they transfer coins from a wallet that doesn't belong to them to their own wallet and then approve the transaction?

Also, what kind of speed is there for confirmation time?  If you could beat litecoin's transaction time..  I think that alone would be a reason everyone would turn to Nextcoin and seems possibly doable given the unique mining system.

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:12:02 PM

So it's closed source but as someone pointed out, it is possible to decompile that.

Aye.

But as I understand it, individual 'miners' take turns approving transactions, so what prevents people from making it so that every time it is their turn to mine, they transfer coins from a wallet that doesn't belong to them to their own wallet and then approve the transaction?

It's impossible to take coins from someone else wallet.

Also, what kind of speed is there for confirmation time?  If you could beat litecoin's transaction time..  I think that alone would be a reason everyone would turn to Nextcoin and seems possibly doable given the unique mining system.

1 min between blocks.
mczarnek

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:43:00 PM

It's impossible to take coins from someone else wallet.

What makes it impossible?  I guess we simply won't know until the source code is released, at which point I could see someone hacking it, but sounded to me like for each transaction, potentially only one person could be confirming the transaction at a time.  If you are the only one confirming and have shady motives what prevents you from inserting fake transactions?

Still wish it was faster.. I liked a 5 second block because I want a coin that can be used for grocery store transactions with confirmation which doesn't require waiting for a minute for checkout but still very nice regarding 1 min block!  At least it's more than double litecoin's speed.

www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:48:06 PM

1 min between blocks.

what mechanism is it that causes the timing to drift? sometimes there are blocks every few seconds, sometimes every 15 mins, etc.
Vega

Activity: 739

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:21:12 AM

1 min between blocks.

what mechanism is it that causes the timing to drift? sometimes there are blocks every few seconds, sometimes every 15 mins, etc.

Yeah, I wanted to ask this for a while. The avarage blocks per day are somewhere below 800. Why is that?
mczarnek

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:04:13 AM

Also this post is talking about instant transaction mode: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=347927.0

Could you tell me how that works?  Thanks!

www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:08:44 AM

What makes it impossible?  I guess we simply won't know until the source code is released, at which point I could see someone hacking it, but sounded to me like for each transaction, potentially only one person could be confirming the transaction at a time.  If you are the only one confirming and have shady motives what prevents you from inserting fake transactions?

Still wish it was faster.. I liked a 5 second block because I want a coin that can be used for grocery store transactions with confirmation which doesn't require waiting for a minute for checkout but still very nice regarding 1 min block!  At least it's more than double litecoin's speed.

Sorry, I don't have time to tell u basic things. U should read more about Cryptography and Bitcoin, and then we'll continue the discussion. Ok?
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:10:15 AM

1 min between blocks.

Yeah, I wanted to ask this for a while. The avarage blocks per day are somewhere below 800. Why is that?

Timing drifts due to stochastic nature of forging. Average blocks per day is below 800 coz of high rate of orphaned blocks.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:10:44 AM

Also this post is talking about instant transaction mode: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=347927.0

Could you tell me how that works?  Thanks!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316104.0
mczarnek

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 03:09:11 PM

Thanks Come-from-Beyond..  yeah, reading as fast as I can about this stuff, just got into the game a couple weeks ago.  probably time to focus some energy on understanding how the actual low-level hashing works.  I'm definitely going to jump into the code when released and see if I can figure it out.

One more quick question though, as I understand it, it is possible to predict which machine(s) will be be forging the next block.  Once you know, you can DDOS them, which seems like it could cause big problems.  How much of a risk is that?

www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 03:15:47 PM

One more quick question though, as I understand it, it is possible to predict which machine(s) will be be forging the next block.  Once you know, you can DDOS them, which seems like it could cause big problems.  How much of a risk is that?

CloudFlare solves this problem. U can forge using 5y-old notebook, all the traffic will be handled by 3rd party if u can't do it by urself.
Jimmy2011

Activity: 589

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:10:50 PM

TF has been enabled about one day ago, but it seems that no real different from the older version from the client, of course I think the core in the client may be TF functionable. So for the average joe, how can we get some hint on TF which is working?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: