Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is it good idea to Switch from Windows to Linux
Yes - 0 (0%)
No - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Switch from Windows to Linux  (Read 93 times)
mi2018 (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 04:18:10 PM

I m really struggling with virtual box and Ubuntu, is it good for me switch into Linux os rather than window

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2018, 04:27:45 PM

It depends on your reasons why you want to switch on linux?
If your reasons is about using a wallet I suggest you to stay using windows because it easy to use and supports many bitcoin wallet than a linux OS.

Or do you have other concern? hope that you can add more info about your question so that we can give you a proper answer.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 04:41:04 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2018, 07:46:33 PM by Carlton Banks

Turning off all Microsoft's data collection in Windows is not easy these days (this affects Win 7 & 8 as well as 10 from what I've heard). Windows is pretty much a security/privacy problem by design now. Figuring out who they're sharing your data with from the T's & C's is probably a lost cause.

OTOH, you've gotta be pretty determined if you want to start using Linux permanently. My suggestion would be to wait til you can afford a new computer, then run Linux on 1 machine and Windows on the other (there's always going to be a reason to stick with what you know while you figure out the transition).

But if you can do that, you're going to have way more control over your computer using Linux than is possible with Windows (and it's only set to get worse apparently). Just stay away from RedHat/Fedora tech (which is a Microsoft sponsored Linux company that works pretty hard to screw up Linux)

Vires in numeris
mi2018 (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 04:49:36 PM

If your reasons is about using a wallet I suggest you to stay using windows because it easy to use and supports many bitcoin wallet than a linux OS.

Or do you have other concern? hope that you can add more info about your question so that we can give you a proper answer.
.   Thanks for the advice, I would like to use Eos smart contract
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2018, 05:06:21 PM

It looks like is not supported on windows OS according to EOS github here https://github.com/EOSIO/eos#supported-operating-systems

Supported Operating Systems

EOSIO currently supports the following operating systems:

Amazon 2017.09 and higher
    Centos 7
    Fedora 25 and higher (Fedora 27 recommended)
    Mint 18
    Ubuntu 16.04 (Ubuntu 16.10 recommended)
    Ubuntu 18.04
    MacOS Darwin 10.12 and higher (MacOS 10.13.x recommended)

And I think you must switch to linux or any supported OS.
You can contact the EOS developers on their telegram and I think you can get the best answer about your question. Check this telegram of EOS developer https://t.me/joinchat/EaEnSUPktgfoI-XPfMYtcQ

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mi2018 (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 05:54:00 PM

Turning off all Microsoft's data collection in Windows is not easy these days (this affects Win 7 & 8 as well as 10 from what I've heard). Windows is pretty much a security/privacy problem by design these days. Figuring out who they're sharing your data with from the T's & C's is probably a lost cause.

OTOH, you've gotta be pretty determined if you want to start using Linux permanently. My suggestion would be to wait til you can afford a new computer, then run Linux on 1 machine and Windows on the other (there's always going to be a reason to stick with what you know while you figure out the transition).

But if you can do that, you're going to have way more control over your computer using Linux than is possible with Windows (and it's only set to get worse apparently). Just stay away RedHat/Fedora tech (which is a Microsoft sponsored Linux company that works pretty hard to screw up Linux)
Thank you very much for the help
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 06:51:53 PM

Do not use an VM. If you can't afford an entire new computer, buy another HDD which goes very nowadays, 200GB will do. Install an easy to use distro like Ubuntu, or Xubuntu if your machine is older. Lubuntu if your machine is extremely old.

Look in youtube how to install them properly, you need to some additional partitions with Linux compared to Windows.

Turning off all Microsoft's data collection in Windows is not easy these days (this affects Win 7 & 8 as well as 10 from what I've heard). Windows is pretty much a security/privacy problem by design these days. Figuring out who they're sharing your data with from the T's & C's is probably a lost cause.

But if you can do that, you're going to have way more control over your computer using Linux than is possible with Windows (and it's only set to get worse apparently). Just stay away RedHat/Fedora tech (which is a Microsoft sponsored Linux company that works pretty hard to screw up Linux)

Windows 7 is doable anything past 8 is insane, specially 10 is NSAcenter. But yeah, if possible always use Linux.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 06:59:01 PM

Windows 7 is doable

It's said that newer updates to Win7 have the data sucking tech too (don't know 1st hand, as I've not used any Windows for years now). So if you don't want Microsoft to know and share your BTC stuff, Windows 7 is out too

Vires in numeris
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 07:03:37 PM

IMO, the best suggestion is to install Linux on a separate computer. Especially if you want to use it for crypto-related installations (wallets, nodes) that require more security.

Do not use an VM. If you can't afford an entire new computer, buy another HDD which goes very nowadays, 200GB will do. Install an easy to use distro like Ubuntu, or Xubuntu if your machine is older. Lubuntu if your machine is extremely old.
This is a good tip. If you can't afford a separate computer, an acceptable solution would be to have a dual boot system with both Linux and Windows. It means, you can choose at startup whether you want to use one or the other OS. Provided that you have enough disc space, any modern LInux installation, like Ubuntu, will recognize your current Windows OS and create a dual boot solution for you.
mi2018 (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 09:56:06 PM

It looks like is not supported on windows OS according to EOS github here https://github.com/EOSIO/eos#supported-operating-systems

Supported Operating Systems

EOSIO currently supports the following operating systems:

Amazon 2017.09 and higher
    Centos 7
    Fedora 25 and higher (Fedora 27 recommended)
    Mint 18
    Ubuntu 16.04 (Ubuntu 16.10 recommended)
    Ubuntu 18.04
    MacOS Darwin 10.12 and higher (MacOS 10.13.x recommended)

And I think you must switch to linux or any supported OS.
You can contact the EOS developers on their telegram and I think you can get the best answer about your question. Check this telegram of EOS developer https://t.me/joinchat/EaEnSUPktgfoI-XPfMYtcQ
you are right there were some misleading videos how to run it
J-N

Activity: 100
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 01:21:51 AM

I m really struggling with virtual box and Ubuntu, is it good for me switch into Linux os rather than window

Yes, Virtual machine eat up a huge chunk of RAM, therefore MS Windows work more slow. As mentioned above do not use Windows 10, 9, 8 and 7 with a telemetry updates. Of course, you should install the latest version of Ubuntu on your computer.

In any case beware of malware. Nowadays the large number of viruses are created for this famous build of Linux. They steal the private keys of crypto-currencies, transfer them to their hive and even encrypt the files on the disks. You need to administrate the user rights policy correctly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: