Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 09:02:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt / bitcoind version 0.8.6 released  (Read 34090 times)
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 03:14:25 PM

Can Bitcoin wallet support other coins like litecoin or Gogecoin at same time? As you know there are so many coins now.
That's like asking if my Swiss bank account supports Nigerian Prince investment fund. Or if Fort Knox will also store my collection of pretty rocks.

These alt-coins are Bitcoin, with the most trivial of changes. They can be taken out at any time by 51% attack by existing miner hashrate or common computing resources. They have been killed in the past just for demonstration, but nobody seems to learn, so now they and their wannabe-rich creators are ignored. Only Namecoin is unique in offering a new feature that won't be included in Bitcoin, and it has a difficulty about 75% that of Bitcoin itself.
GrapeApe

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:14:49 PM

I have a couple of wallet questions.

1: If several small transactions make up the bulk of my bitcoin does that affect the kb size of a transaction when I send coins? While I'm at it what does determine the kb size?

2: I created a vanity address about a year ago I have not used it or imported it to my wallet. If I were to import the private public key pair into my QT wallet and for whatever reason the vanity private key is compromised can it be used to move all the coins in the wallet or just ones that have been sent to the vanity address? I'm assuming that each bitcoin address has it's own private key and if any one of the private keys gets compromised does it control all the coins in the wallet or just the ones directly associated with the compromised key pair?

Thanks...
HomerS

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 02:25:41 AM

i have a question. If there is a new version 0.8.6 is 0.8.5 still functioned?
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 08:42:15 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2014, 09:00:04 AM by wumpus

If it does not support other coins, do you have any plan for it?
Anlongsun
No.

1: If several small transactions make up the bulk of my bitcoin does that affect the kb size of a transaction when I send coins? While I'm at it what does determine the kb size?

The number of inputs determines the kB size. So if you have a lot of small inputs (for example received from faucets or mining) and merge them to send a larger amount, that will be a (kB-)large transaction.

2: I created a vanity address about a year ago I have not used it or imported it to my wallet. If I were to import the private public key pair into my QT wallet and for whatever reason the vanity private key is compromised can it be used to move all the coins in the wallet or just ones that have been sent to the vanity address? I'm assuming that each bitcoin address has it's own private key and if any one of the private keys gets compromised does it control all the coins in the wallet or just the ones directly associated with the compromised key pair?
Yes, every address (=public key id) has its own private key. So it would compromise what is sent to the vanity address.

i have a question. If there is a new version 0.8.6 is 0.8.5 still functioned?
Yes. It's not recommended but you can use older versions (down to 0.6.x or so) and they can still sync the entire chain.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:59:49 AM

Only Namecoin is unique in offering a new feature that won't be included in Bitcoin, and it has a difficulty about 75% that of Bitcoin itself.

Based on your authority, deepceleron, I simply can't wait until all the new features of Litecoin will be included in Bitcoin, since Namecoin is the only one with a new feature that WON'T be. /sarcasm
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 03:26:50 AM

Only Namecoin is unique in offering a new feature that won't be included in Bitcoin, and it has a difficulty about 75% that of Bitcoin itself.

Based on your authority, deepceleron, I simply can't wait until all the new features of Litecoin will be included in Bitcoin, since Namecoin is the only one with a new feature that WON'T be. /sarcasm
Perhaps you are reading the intention of the sentence incorrectly; the unique feature of Namecoin that "won't be included" in Bitcoin is the storage of user data for domain names and other identity or yet-imagined purposes. Storing arbitrary data is outside of the scope of Bitcoin, which is a network for the bitcoin currency; such features won't be added to it.
go4nature

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:55:13 AM

I am new to bitcoin.Which program is best for newbies? Bitcoin-qt or multibit

salsamoves

Activity: 58

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:21:33 AM

I second that question, and is multibit secure?
does anyone know where i can download a bitcoin blockchain and how i add it to the wallet? Ive spent ages trying to sync the bitcoin wallet but it doesnt seem to do anything, so have gone with multibit.
wendall

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:38:51 AM

I download both programs. Multibit is good for newbies, bitcoin-qt is keep synchronizing
salsamoves

Activity: 58

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 02:14:49 PM

Insert Quote
I download both programs. Multibit is good for newbies, bitcoin-qt is keep synchronizing

do you mean just be patient?
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:38:26 AM

multibit

bitcoin-qt is a full node that you can run to support the network, not for newbies that just want a wallet

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
djdmc

Activity: 2

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 11:38:57 AM

I have had to reload the blockchain 3 times this year!
Anybody know when the QT version that does not require you to download the chain will be available? Huh
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:03:49 PM

Anybody know when the QT version that does not require you to download the chain will be available? Huh

Either it will download blockchain or it will not be QT.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 05:08:31 PM

Get electrum

ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:45:44 PM

Get electrum

Electrum != QT
Like I said.

So the answer should be: "Such version will never be available. (If it is it will not be QT anymore.)"
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 11:23:59 PM

Get electrum

Electrum != QT
Like I said.

So the answer should be: "Such version will never be available. (If it is it will not be QT anymore.)"

there is no such a version of QT..
belkan

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 02:48:03 PM

Thank you very much to tell me about the release of new version. I will definitely try the new version as I was already facing few problems. I hope this update will finally solve the bugs that were becoming a headache for me. Please keep on sharing such news with me, I shall appreciate it
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1221
Merit: 1024

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 01:53:47 PM

For newbies, I'd recommend electrum as an SPV client.
Once you become familiar with bitcoin, you would want to be a full node and take the time to download the whole blockchain with bitcoin-qt and strong password for wallet encryption.
Avoid windows.

Shawshank
Legendary

Activity: 1623
Merit: 1608

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:12:03 PM

For newbies, I'd recommend electrum as an SPV client.
Once you become familiar with bitcoin, you would want to be a full node and take the time to download the whole blockchain with bitcoin-qt and strong password for wallet encryption.
Avoid windows.

Electrum is easy to use but it needs centralized servers. It is not a pure P2P client.

Bitcoin-Qt is pure P2P. Multibit is pure P2P.

Lightning Address: shawshank@getalby.com
iamibo

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:42:46 PM

i'll wait for the 64-bit version.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: