Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:48:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about charity?  (Read 713 times)
nick_bogdan (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 10:23:40 AM
Merited by suchmoon (5), dbshck (1)

We all get used to the idea that sharing with people who have less is good. Particularly, I think so as well and often donate money when I have a possibility. For example, I have once donated to support building a school in a mountain village in Nepal. However, I have never tried to find out if the school was built in reality. I don`t  know if it is irresponsible or not.  But I have a feeling that many people act in a similar way. In result, charity turns into a kind of apologize. However,  this apologize is like empty - because people continue to live their everyday lives and do not care about wars, ecology, or any other global problems, which do not affect them personally. Sometimes, it seems that charity makes people even more careless because it creates an illusion of compassion. Like - I have made a donation, so now I can sleep well.

So, is charity good or not? Or probably we should make an independent decision in each case of donating money, without going deep inside into the idea of charity itself?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 11:06:39 AM
Merited by dbshck (1)

So, is charity good or not? Or probably we should make an independent decision in each case of donating money, without going deep inside into the idea of charity itself?
Not sure If my number is correct or not... All these so called charities keep 60% of the income (they call donation) to run the administration and 40% goes to the needy. I have seem people register charity for their own profit, they use it to turn their black money into white. So, most of the charities are indeed a business institutions IMO.

I used to have a direct debit with a child care organisation. They used to sent me these expensive cards every month just to keep me informed about their activities which was quite unnecessary. It's basically their marketing policy. Go and see they have the top paid marketing personals too look after their charity. Why? Coz the best one will bring best business. It's all business.

The best I think is... Cut off these middle men (the charities), deal hand to hand meaning - if are generous enough then pick up the unfortunate person next to you and do something for him/her or their family so that this makes a permanent change in their lifestyle. Avoid these registered charities.
nick_bogdan (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 11:37:43 AM

That is the point! It is always better to avoid mediators because certainly many organizations just use charity for covering some black business. Nevertheless, people in western society seem to be so isolated that it seems like we need those mediators - otherwise you would not even get know that some of the people nearby may have serious problems, 
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 01:56:30 PM
Merited by dbshck (1)

I still believe that a third-party (not all of them) can be trusted to handle our money for their programs to helps the needy. There's a lot of foundations that I know trustable enough to handle the money that I donated and to help the people in needs, at least in my country. Of course, there's also a lot of fake/scam charity foundation that uses people kindness to take their money away for their own benefits.

Personally, when I did a charity, I always watch the progress of the foundation that I donated too. Most of the good people (and much better people than myself) I know did this too. Not only that, some of them even take part in the foundation programs itself, helping them not only by money but also by their body. I guess you do have a point by pointing out how charity makes someone feels "much better", but I guess this does not happen to everyone out there.
act now

Activity: 166
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 02:35:24 PM

Thank you for interesting discussion! I think that it is necessary to help those who really need it. Moreover,  it is necessary not to them, but to ourselves. You can look at the relevant discussion on TED portal - https://www.ted.com/topics/philanthropy
crypto_nd

Activity: 140
Merit: 1

Less troubles

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 09:58:26 PM

i have seen similar topic before, but all i have to say is that charity is done from the heart, and also you give because you have no use to that particular thing you are giving out or you find the other person more in need of what you have.
Charity will always be good as long as you help those around you not an imaginary havoc place.
If you truly want to help those in war, go to the proper channel for donation. If it require that you go to the affected area or to refugee camp to render help please do but stay out of trouble. In this way you will know the through need of the people and donate appropriately.
Sometimes the media are good at fabricating stories just to suit them and act relevant.         
_Miracle

Activity: 904
Merit: 657

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2018, 01:03:51 AM
Merited by dbshck (1)

You can see how specific charities allocate their funds here...

https://www.charitynavigator.org/
Monyero

Activity: 104
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 02:35:39 AM

I think charity is very good, it would be better if we do it starting from our own environment. Because the environment is the place where we and our families grow and flourish, so we must help everyone who is lacking or needy. If any particular charity is willing to allocate funds, we will accept it and also help him as much as we can. therefore for the common good.
_Miracle

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 03:20:18 AM

And yes having a charitable nature can be good but it would be really wonderful if we empowered people so that less charity is actually required.
crypto_nd

Activity: 140

Less troubles

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 11:49:02 PM

And yes having a charitable nature can be good but it would be really wonderful if we empowered people so that less charity is actually required.
valid idea, but then most people don't want to be empowered or should i say don't deserve to be empowered, they just prefer to live by begging other. so sad 
_Miracle

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2018, 01:08:12 AM

valid idea, but then most people don't want to be empowered or should i say don't deserve to be empowered, they just prefer to live by begging other. so sad  

I don't know what you think makes a person "deserve to be empowered" but I think every living creature deserves the opportunity of empowerment.

There are some practices where being without belongings and relying on the gifts of others to survive is a noble act.

Giving can be rewarding.
But nobody likes being Taken ;-)
acmakc12

Activity: 504
Merit: 19

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 08:19:10 AM

Charity, this is certainly good, I fully support this, but if you think about it, all the money for charity should be directed only to the treatment of people with serious illnesses, those people who are all fine with health, but they just do not have a home, in the future can not achieve anything, they will take everything for granted, there are certainly normal examples, but many then simply slide into the niche, because they do not know what and how to do, and how to either strive. If I can participate in charity when I can, I will definitely do it..
Berfikirlah

Activity: 139
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 12:41:54 PM

Charity is already a duty for us especially for people who have abundant wealth, our charity and worship we do not need to be told and diumbar in front of others because it can reduce the reward that we can.
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 09:24:10 PM

We all get used to the idea that sharing with people who have less is good. Particularly, I think so as well and often donate money when I have a possibility. For example, I have once donated to support building a school in a mountain village in Nepal. However, I have never tried to find out if the school was built in reality. I don`t  know if it is irresponsible or not.  But I have a feeling that many people act in a similar way. In result, charity turns into a kind of apologize. However,  this apologize is like empty - because people continue to live their everyday lives and do not care about wars, ecology, or any other global problems, which do not affect them personally. Sometimes, it seems that charity makes people even more careless because it creates an illusion of compassion. Like - I have made a donation, so now I can sleep well.

In my opinion only a few things in life are abused on the same level as the notion of charity. Let me explain.

Real charity is good. The kind of charity that accepts donations in the name of charity and use it for the intended purpose.

Charity in name only is bad. The kind of charity that accepts donations in the name of charity and don't use it for the intended purpose.

I feel it is important to make sure that donations are used for the intended purpose - in order to give real charity a fighting chance. If we only donate to look good in the eyes of others or to cater to our conscience, then we're not doing it the right way.

In addition, it serves us best to remember that charity should always start at home. 
yoseph

Activity: 868
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 08:55:56 PM

Charity is already a duty for us especially for people who have abundant wealth, our charity and worship we do not need to be told and diumbar in front of others because it can reduce the reward that we can.
Charity is to be done wholeheartedly, and we should try to make the lives of those who are less unfortunate to be better so that they could have more comfort in their lives.
Barrett Edwards

Activity: 36

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 04:17:12 AM
Merited by paulmaritz (1)

Charity are for people who are rich.

I want to be rich, so that I can do charity  too... Hahaha!
DJCanh

Activity: 278
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 09:36:14 AM

Charity are for people who are rich.

I want to be rich, so that I can do charity  too... Hahaha!

Big plus for your words!
Yep, it will do rich people
Because other people need money for themselves. And it's too hard to survive in this days
And it's a stupid situation when some companies say "1 cent from each pack of the product will go to charity". But these companies include this cent in the price. And we have that common person pay and have nothing, only moral feelings. And big companies take a part in charity and get fewer taxes.
nick_bogdan (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 12:29:18 PM

Thank you for sharing your ideas, they gave me a food for thought.  All in all, I decided - no "spontaneous donations"; the best option for me is to give money to small projects on crowdfunding because I may talk with those people via social networks and ask them questions that arise and keep tracking the process.

Although I realize why people say that charity should start at home, I think it's good to choose projects from other countries if you feel that its values and goals match with yours.

As for  "Charity are for people who are rich" - it sounds very rational, but if you can not share money - you may give your time, work,  or care for the people who are around. Personally, I realized that small attention also means a lot, especially in big cities where people are often indifferent.
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 03:04:57 PM

Thank you for sharing your ideas, they gave me a food for thought.  All in all, I decided - no "spontaneous donations"; the best option for me is to give money to small projects on crowdfunding because I may talk with those people via social networks and ask them questions that arise and keep tracking the process.

Although I realize why people say that charity should start at home, I think it's good to choose projects from other countries if you feel that its values and goals match with yours.

As for  "Charity are for people who are rich" - it sounds very rational, but if you can not share money - you may give your time, work,  or care for the people who are around. Personally, I realized that small attention also means a lot, especially in big cities where people are often indifferent.

With "charity should start at home," one's own family should come first and then the rest. It is not to say that one should choose projects in one's own country first. Thus, first family and then projects and the rest. Cool
fernandoaleixo

Activity: 126
Merit: 4

Community Manager at Bitsurf.eu

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2018, 02:12:19 PM

Charity is perhaps the biggest act of goodness you can make for a human being, but I strongly believe every problem is like a tree we need to take care of it's roots, seeing it in a broader way we must understand what is happening in order to destroy the problem, why are there a continuous growing of homeless people? Of fatherless children? Charity becomes selfish when we don't look to understand what's going on that is leaving so many people in such a life of suffering.
It's like "I'm good with giving you food once in a while and I'm satisfied, self-accomplished". We need to dig deeper in order to help way more people and more efficiently!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: