Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:28:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pizzas to Wall Street Protesters on Sept. 17th  (Read 3031 times)
thomkaufmann (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 10:58:53 PM

As many may already know, there is a plan to establish a Tahrir-style encampment on Wall street next month. Details can be found here: http://www.usdayofrage.org/
https://occupywallst.org/

It might not be too difficult to convince a local pizza shop to accept Bitcoin in order to get some food to these campers. This would be great for both the campers and the pizza shop, and it would likely bring some positive publicity to Bitcoin itself. 

Additionally, it seems more than appropriate to utilize and promote Bitcoin at a protest over Wall Street corruption.

So what do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 11:21:25 PM

I'd support a protest at The Federal Reserve. Those protesters are mad at the wrong enemy.
Denicen

Activity: 46

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 11:28:47 PM

I'd support a protest at The Federal Reserve. Those protesters are mad at the wrong enemy.

While I too would prefer a protest against the Federal Reserve since that is really the source of corruption, Wall Street is absolutely a good target. These motherf***ers all went bankrupt then got the government to bail them out, stealing from the many to enrich the few. It really epitomizes what is wrong with america.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:14:24 AM

While I too would prefer a protest against the Federal Reserve since that is really the source of corruption, Wall Street is absolutely a good target. These motherf***ers all went bankrupt then got the government to bail them out, stealing from the many to enrich the few. It really epitomizes what is wrong with america.

That is just human nature.  The real fault doesn't lie in those that want to cheat, because that is basically everyone.  The real fault is in those that let (or help) them cheat: the politicians, and by extension, all of us.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:23:36 AM

Blame the criminal organization which hands out other peoples' stolen money. Don't blame Wall St. for taking that money when offered to them. Remember also that some financial institutions were FORCED to take the money, so that the vulnerable ones would not be known to the public. The blame lies squarely with Washington, or perhaps with the people who vote those fools into office.
rikur

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:25:45 AM

If someone can make it happen (I live in the EU), I'll pledge 5 BTC to it on these conditions:

1) the organizer also prints out flyers about bitcoin (pointing to weusecoin.com maybe)
2) the organizer promises to post photos of handing out flyers and pizzas
thomkaufmann (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:30:45 AM

For those that would prefer the protest be held at the Federal Reserve, you are more than welcome to make the suggestion to the #sept17 crowd. They are attempting to hold protests all over the country on that day and it's early enough that you could most likely get something going.
thomkaufmann (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:43:05 AM

If someone can make it happen (I live in the EU), I'll pledge 5 BTC to it on these conditions:

1) the organizer also prints out flyers about bitcoin (pointing to weusecoin.com maybe)
2) the organizer promises to post photos of handing out flyers and pizzas

Great suggestions. Let's keep 'em coming.

How should we approach the pizza shops about accepting Bitcoin? Do we email them, or call them? Do we bombard them with many callers, or just have one person speak with the manger/owner? However we approach it, I think we ought to give them the phone numbers to the Manhattan eateries that already accept Bitcoin.

grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:44:31 AM

Yeah, that's a great banner to be protesting under. That stupidity even bests itself with this:

http://www.usdayofrage.org/our-principles.html

1. Non Violence

US Day of Rage is non violent. Violence is behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. Please see resources for information about how to organize and practice non-violent resistance and civil disobedience.

WE ARE OUTRAGED! But we're not really going to do anything about it other than maybe hold signs, make noise, and possible get in a few people's way. We are calling for outrage, but we're not going to take responsibility if you're actually really enraged.

The real problem today is people don't say what they mean or mean what they say. The world is so buried in politically correctness, managerial speak, and just plain complete and utter bullshit that people are actually stupid enough to think they are making any bit of difference by doing this stuff.

Just like George Carlin said, American's like their bullshit right out front where they can get a nice deep whiff of it.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
thomkaufmann (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:51:30 AM

Yeah, that's a great banner to be protesting under. That stupidity even bests itself with this:

1. Non Violence

US Day of Rage is non violent. Violence is behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. Please see resources for information about how to organize and practice non-violent resistance and civil disobedience.

WE ARE OUTRAGED! But we're not really going to do anything about it other than maybe hold signs, make noise, and possible get in a few people's way. We are calling for outrage, but we're not going to take responsibility if you're actually really enraged.

The real problem today is people don't say what they mean or mean what they say. The world is so buried in politically correctness, managerial speak, and just plain complete and utter bullshit that people are actually stupid enough to think they are making any bit of difference by doing this stuff.

Just like George Carlin said, American's like their bullshit right out front where they can get a nice deep whiff of it.

The phrase wasn't coined for this protest - it has a history:
http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/18/6079054-where-does-the-term-day-of-rage-come-from

Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 01:02:28 AM

This is ideal for career rioters.

Better pay those pizza companies up front, because they are going to get looted on the day for sure.

grndzero

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 01:08:06 AM

1. Non Violence

The phrase wasn't coined for this protest - it has a history:
http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/18/6079054-where-does-the-term-day-of-rage-come-from

The lineage is irrelevant. It's hollow and all the fake outrage lately is pathetic.
Save the 'Day of Rage' for when people are actually ready to sack and burn the Capital and Treasury, not stand on the lawn and yell at it.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:10:52 AM

We have to organize and rally against one enemy. The Republican Party! I am sorry but I don't buy into their bull and they have been owned by wall street for years. And all this hate towards the Federal Reserve is truly unwarranted, they are simply trying to keep things from getting any worse with their quantitative easing methods. Sure that pisses off alot of Europeans who wouldn't be able to do the same thing we can, but realize that we were forced and are still being forced to this approach because of right wing politics. There are Billionaires in this country paying a 17% tax rate while it's 56 percent in country's like Germany! Now remember folks we have no universal healthcare (like Germany), no free college (like France), and absolutely no social safety net for the unemployed other than a few months of below minimum wage unemployment checks and food stamps for life. But you guys are brainwashed to target obscure objects when the obvious is right In front of you.

Get rid of all Bush tax cuts.
Close all tax loopholes for everyone.
Give tax cuts to the bottom $250,000 income bracket with tax cuts getting higher the lower you get.
Raise taxes on all corporations across the board to by %25.
Close all corporate tax havens.
Put a heavy surcharge on all foreign products including China (like they do in many foreign countries).
Make school free for everyone up to the doctorate grade level.
Give world class universal healthcare to everyone free of charge.
Heavily subsidize Health, Space, Technology, & Science.
Tax & Legalize Hemp and all Cannabis related products.
Heavily subsidize domestic energy production (Natural Gas, Biodisel, Hydrogen, Clean Coal, E.T.C)

Like all the things I mentioned above?

So does The President, and if he could have everything he wanted today, we would live in that world I just mentioned above. However, Mr. Obama cannot have the things that he and the majority of Americans want because the Tea Party Republicans have now revolted against the President and against the country itself. Much of it is pure greed coated with just a hint of racism.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:16:45 AM

<bunch of nonsense>

Here we go...

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
thomkaufmann (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:36:28 AM

Can we please stay on topic?
This is why we can't have nice things.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:51:19 AM

We have to organize and rally against one enemy. The Republican Party! I am sorry but I don't buy into their bull and they have been owned by wall street for years. And all this hate towards the Federal Reserve is truly unwarranted, they are simply trying to keep things from getting any worse with their quantitative easing methods. Sure that pisses off alot of Europeans who wouldn't be able to do the same thing we can, but realize that we were forced and are still being forced to this approach because of right wing politics. There are Billionaires in this country paying a 17% tax rate while it's 56 percent in country's like Germany! Now remember folks we have no universal healthcare (like Germany), no free college (like France), and absolutely no social safety net for the unemployed other than a few months of below minimum wage unemployment checks and food stamps for life. But you guys are brainwashed to target obscure objects when the obvious is right In front of you.

Get rid of all Bush tax cuts.
Close all tax loopholes for everyone.
Give tax cuts to the bottom $250,000 income bracket with tax cuts getting higher the lower you get.
Raise taxes on all corporations across the board to by %25.
Close all corporate tax havens.
Put a heavy surcharge on all foreign products including China (like they do in many foreign countries).
Heavily subsidize Health, Space, Technology, & Science.
Heavily subsidize domestic energy production (Natural Gas, Biodisel, Hydrogen, Clean Coal, E.T.C)

Like all the things I mentioned above?

So does The President, and if he could have everything he wanted today, we would live in that world I just mentioned above. However, Mr. Obama cannot have the things that he and the majority of Americans want because the Tea Party Republicans have now revolted against the President and against the country itself. Much of it is pure greed coated with just a hint of racism.

i'm sorry but both parties are all the same BS just a 'different' tune.  
whatever your party is and if you are blaming opposite side - you are just the same part of the problem. people need to wake up and realize they have been had with this two parties BS that's been going on for past few decades if not longer. it is not left vs. right although they made it seem that way quiet alright.  the state is so huge that it's main concern and goal now is to protect and secure itself, nothing else.   we need to get rid of system that promotes political careerism.  both parties are equally incompetent imo.
herbertfilby

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:43:10 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 04:00:13 AM by herbertfilby

+1

Because the rich want to pay for a country full of high deadbeats to get their master's degree, right.  Roll Eyes

Let's face it, if taxes get raised for EVERYONE, it doesn't matter, because the politicians are just going to steal it... Left AND Right.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:03:49 AM

+1

Because the rich want to pay for a country full of high deadbeats to get their master's degree  Roll Eyes

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just don't see the logic in that. Please elaborate.

School should be free for everyone- you've probably heard the arguments 1000 times.
Universal Healthcare For Everyone- http://www.metacafe.com/watch/615603/sicko_michael_moore_interview_on_real_time_with_bill_maher/

Hemp has virtually no THC so it should actually be legal RIGHT NOW. Cannabis legalization is a different story that can be debated for hours, but the uses of Hemp are indisputable and seem to produce many of the things that we seem to be lacking.

I.E It's the best ethanol producer

There are many farmers who are lobbying right now for the right to grow industrial Hemp. It used to be a cash crop, why not make it into one again?
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:32:55 AM

That is just human nature.  The real fault doesn't lie in those that want to cheat, because that is basically everyone.  The real fault is in those that let (or help) them cheat: the politicians, and by extension, all of us.

Yes, a big +1 here. Fed and politicians are to blame. Wall St (while offensive in a number of ways), was largely acting rationally within the framework presented to them.

I'd support a protest at the Fed, or on capitol hill.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:35:58 AM

Blame the criminal organization which hands out other peoples' stolen money. Don't blame Wall St. for taking that money when offered to them.

I agree with your previous statement that this event is not worth supporting, but there is nothing holy or innocent about corporations that take government handouts. Those who accept them are just as complicit in the abuse of the people as the government and monetary system that provides them the handouts. Both deserve to be criticized.

However, this October 11 "New World" movement is largely just a psuedo new age flop that misses the root of the problem. "Greed" is only an issue if you give corporations and governments the ability to enslave the public together through a monetary system. This movement doesn't strike at the root and thus it deserves no support.

Or, if you prefer opposing it on grounds of insanity, it also calls for a "zero carbon economy" to save the earth.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: