Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:21:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus rx 470 cards driving me nuts!  (Read 171 times)
Bob-Bit (OP)

Activity: 241
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 10:23:22 PM

Hi there mining brethren. So my mom gave me a Windows 7 Dell i5 server. nothing special, but it has 4 GPU slots. So, I started out with some AMD 7950 cards I had laying around, and eventually I upgraded to 3 Asus Strix Rx 470 4gb cards, and 1 Asus mining Rx470. I ran it for a few weeks stock, and when I finally got a chance last weekend I watched some videos, and learned how to do a basic bios mod. I used polaris, and used the one click timing. Then I downloaded Afterburner, and started tweaking settings. I tried a few sets of settings I found online, and, then when I found a good one, I tweaked it myself from there. The highest I was able to get it to hash on Equihash was 300, 290, 300, and 283 for the four cards, and I had to dick around with it for hours to get it that high. So, I proceeded to benchmark with NHML 19.0.0. (I don't know why but I can't keep it running consistently with Awesome Miner YET.) So on benchmark, the Ethereum numbers are off. With SG miner (Which won't always benchmark, many times it fails) With SG miner I get 25,23,15,17. After all the tweaking I've done that was unacceptable. On Claymore the situation was more dire, 20,19,16,16. I figured maybe my bios mods were not the greatest, so I bought a custom mod for card 1 and 3 (Hynix) for $5. I got maybe 1-2 extra sols on Equihash, and maybe 1-2% on Ethereum. Not knowing what else to try, I tried different AMD drivers. The experiments were not successful.  I tried 4 or 5 different versions, and only 2 would mine, and only one version would make the Asus mining rx 470 work, the one from the Asus site (Version 17.10), and now I'm stumped. How are people getting 30Mhs? I know not every card will run at 30, but shouldn't I be able to get at least 25 on all of them? 15 is definitely not enough. For my afterburner settings, the mining rx470 is set at stock (doesn't seem to overclock at all), +10 power, the others are in the neighborhood of 1300 clock, 2000 memory, +10 power. Btw card 2 is Samsung, 1,3 and 4 are hynix. Anybody have any suggestions to help get these things working like they're supposed to? Thank you in advance!

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅✈✈✈ (https://privcy.eu/)
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 10:35:45 PM

Drivers? probably equihash is untouchable on performance because there is no dag file on equihash, so probably, might be drivers, first install the blockchain drivers or install latest amd gpu driver + ati patch 1.46. Latest eth claymore or phoenix miner sets compute mode for you automatically, check its thread for info.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
buraz11

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 10:36:36 PM

hi, it seems to me you did not put the compute mode on in the drivers, all the drivers require that except blockchain drivers, try that first its in amd settings global settings, also i think blockchain and newer drivers dont work on windows 7 only windows 10
for win7 i heard there were some robinhood modified drivers
Bob-Bit (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 10:48:32 PM

I don't have the option for compute mode on this. The blockchain drivers didn't work for me either. I do have windows 7 professional. So you think I need the robinhood driver? I saw something about that earlier. Downloaded it, and it appears to be just some random files, not an .exe and it said to remove all drivers and then install manually and point to the folder the files were in. I tried that and windows said the best drivers for my device were already installed (standard windows VGA driver). Jeez. I thought Windows 7 was going to be the way to go with the dag size and all.

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 11:03:28 PM

You have a lot to learn and read, there are countless of guides about all you need, google ddu to remove drivers, download the latest driver and use claymore to enable compute + google ati patch 1.46.

Bob-Bit (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 11:12:00 PM

You have a lot to learn and read, there are countless of guides about all you need, google ddu to remove drivers, download the latest driver and use claymore to enable compute + google ati patch 1.46.
Oh, I'm trying to learn. I've been reading, and trying things since Saturday, I was able to mod bios, and got my Equihash rates from 270 up to 300 on some of the cards, but I'm stumped here, so I'm reaching out for help. I'm using Nicehash right now, so I don't have Claymore options. I've got driver 17.7.2 downloading right now, and I'm going to give the instructions for the robinhood driver another try, and I'll check out ati patch 1.46. Unfortunately I can't just use whatever drivers I want as many of them seem to be incompatible with the Asus Mining RX470. So far only the 17.10 has worked with all 4 cards. I have my fingers crossed for the 17.7.2 Wish me luck.

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 11:26:26 PM

Oh, I'm trying to learn. I've been reading, and trying things since Saturday, I was able to mod bios, and got my Equihash rates from 270 up to 300 on some of the cards, but I'm stumped here, so I'm reaching out for help. I'm using Nicehash right now, so I don't have Claymore options. I've got driver 17.7.2 downloading right now, and I'm going to give the instructions for the robinhood driver another try, and I'll check out ati patch 1.46. Unfortunately I can't just use whatever drivers I want as many of them seem to be incompatible with the Asus Mining RX470. So far only the 17.10 has worked with all 4 cards. I have my fingers crossed for the 17.7.2 Wish me luck.

AMD made it very difficulty for miners, used to be a lot easier, nowadays we have to do stupid things to make amd gpus to work properly, with nvidia is plug and play. Well good luck, we are here to help in case you need anything else.

buraz11

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 12:19:45 AM

it says in his post he is on windows 7 that is his problem, he has to go 10 or linux
Bob-Bit (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 12:33:42 AM

Well, I had some successes. 17.7.2 worked with all of my cards. There was no effect on hashrate at that point, but it worked. Next I realized the problem I was having with the robinhood drivers was that they were zipped with 7zip (Doh! Told you I've been working on this too long) Next I went into the device manager and just hit update driver and pointed to the folder. I thought I was going to have to do that 4 times once for each of my cards, restarting between each,  but I patched the driver (already knew about that from modding the bios) and restarted, and benchmarked (didn't want to do more then one at a time in case anything went wrong) and while the sgminer numbers wern't much better, Claymore is now reporting 29,25,24,24 which is much better. Not quite perfect yet, but at least I'm getting into the ballpark. The one with the 29 I can pretty much be happy with, just have to see if I can tweak the others up to the 27-29 range. I'm running a benchmark right now, so we'll see if everything else is good, hopefully I didn't screw something else up in the process. Definitely looking a bit less hopeless at the moment. Thank you for all the help so far, hopefully things keep going as good as they are at the moment.

buraz11

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 01:48:47 AM

nice that youre getting somewhere but if all the cards are around 2000 mem they should at least give around 28 mhs, samsung memory ones i have almost all go to 2100 without erros in hwinfo utility and produce 31 mhs at 900 900 +10 power
i would strongly suggest switching operating system to win 10 and setting at least 20 gb swap file
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 02:22:07 AM

Next I realized the problem I was having with the robinhood drivers was that they were zipped with 7zip (Doh! Told you I've been working on this too long)

First time to encounter robinhood drivers and found that they are for DAG fix. Is this your purpose?
Basing from the link i found: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2068446.0

I don't understand why you need to use these anyway. As far as i know the blockchain drivers or those fixes included in 17.7.2 already fix any problems you may have with DAG files.
Bob-Bit (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 03:44:53 AM

nice that youre getting somewhere but if all the cards are around 2000 mem they should at least give around 28 mhs, samsung memory ones i have almost all go to 2100 without erros in hwinfo utility and produce 31 mhs at 900 900 +10 power
i would strongly suggest switching operating system to win 10 and setting at least 20 gb swap file
Well, Here's where I'm at. I got 2 of the Hynix cards up to 28-29, actually one of them is doing 28.8 dual mining, so those are good to go. The "Asus mining Rx470" I got up to 27, which is not surprising to me since it seems it's inferior to the other cards in just about every way, so that's good to go also. The one that I'm having trouble with at this point is the Samsung one, which is weird. I've tried all kinds of combinations of Afterburner settings, and I'm starting to think it's defective. I can get it to start out at 25, but then every time the rate updates on Claymore, it comes up a little bit lower, till after 10 minutes it drops below 20. I've been trying every setting imaginable, but I've just barely gotten it to stay above 20. Right now I've got it set at 1080 clock, memory at 1850, with power at 0%. The other cards show in AB the clock rate I have it set to (a couple of them were fluctuating about 10 below where the clock was set, but when I increased the power to +10 they leveled out where they were set.) the samsung if I have it set to for example 1200, it will bounce around 1065-1085, and raising the power doesn't seem to help. That's why I'm thinking it might be bad. I might try the settings you gave me above, but other then that I think I'm going to just let it run for the night because I'm getting tired and I don't want to do anything stupid. (Like last night when I flashed one of the regular cards with the "Mining Rx470" bios) Tomorrow I guess I'll start by trying to figure out how to change the memory straps, because the Polaris one touch mod made it a 1500 strap, and from what I'm reading, that doesn't sound right. I think it's supposed to be 2000. The swap file I already have set to coincidentally 20gb, and as far as the OS, firstly I'm not 100% that this computer can take windows 10, it can be a touch sluggish with windows 7, and it also only has 4gb of ram which I don't think windows 10 would like. (but hey, it was free) Thanks for your suggestions, and help, I will get this rig to perform the way I want, I don't give up easily, and I will also keep this post updated, as I personally hate when stories don't have an ending.

Bob-Bit (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 03:55:23 AM

Next I realized the problem I was having with the robinhood drivers was that they were zipped with 7zip (Doh! Told you I've been working on this too long)

First time to encounter robinhood drivers and found that they are for DAG fix. Is this your purpose?
Basing from the link i found: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2068446.0

I don't understand why you need to use these anyway. As far as i know the blockchain drivers or those fixes included in 17.7.2 already fix any problems you may have with DAG files.
I installed the 17.7.2 and it was still not hashing at the right speed. If it was I wouldn't of bothered with the robinhood driver, but it did work. Once I got it installed my hashrates instantly jumped up to where they were supposed to be. I guess it corrects a problem related to Windows 7, I dunno I just followed directions.

szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 04:32:36 AM

Download newest driver to radeon i have no problem 😊 with nvidia.
Sevarchik

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 04:37:24 AM

Sometimes peoples report about problems on compute mode.
Better using checked old driver then glitching new

Bob-Bit (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 01:33:34 PM

So, everything on this rig seems good with the exception of the one card with the Samsung memory. I tried your settings, and it was virtually unchanged. I tweaked around with it some more. I lowered the memory to 2070. For some strange reason 2100 is the absolute max setting Afterburner will allow, while I'm not really sure how high the others will allow to be set since they will lock up the screen if set much above 2000, (one of them gets flakey at 1990) but the sliders definitely have more room on them then the Samsung.  So, with the Memory at 2070, and the core at 900 I was basically getting the same hashrate as before. The indicator for the core clock was pegged, so I worked the power limit down from the 10 you suggested, all the way to -5 without the indicator for core clock moving. At -10 the numbers started fluctuating, so I settled for -5, which had 0 effect on hashrates compared to +10, so that's good as far as consumption goes. I think this card is a lemon. I will try the 2000 memory strap later, but at this point, I think I'll be very lucky to get this card up to 23. If I do, I'm going to just say fuck it, and deal with it. Otherwise, I'll have to get another card to replace this one. Thank you all for your help with this. My earnings on this rig are up 25% at the moment, so I'm chalking this up as a success, and a great learning experience. I'll let you know either way how the 2000 memory strap goes. Again, thank you!

Bob-Bit (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 05:19:52 PM

Well, after a couple cups of coffee, I went back to work on the miner. With a fresh set of eyes, I discovered what was eluding me last night, and I feel a little dumb. Apparently 2 of the miners were showing up reversed, and I was adjusting the wrong one. I made myself a little chart and mapped everything out, and started working one at a time, and had some great successes. Final scores are 27.9 (This one is my display card, so that's good, 30.3 (Samsung card), 29.2 (Hynix non display), and 28.1 (Asus mining Rx470). Results are better then I had expected when I started the project, and I'm happy. Now on to build a 6 GPU RX480 8GB rig next. Thank you all for your help, it is appreciated, and I am always happy to give back and help someone else when I see the chance. Have a great day, and happy mining!

vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4284
Merit: 3472

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 09:47:57 PM

Apparently 2 of the miners were showing up reversed, and I was adjusting the wrong one. I made myself a little chart and mapped everything out

yeah gpu charts are a lifesaver.

i have charts with the following rows and then identify the gpus in each row (msi 470, evga 1080ti ftw2, whatever) or even put a piece of tape with an number on the card somewhere.

physical slot on mobo
driver version (like 17.11.4.. sometimes drivers change the numbering)
miner x
miner y
miner z... (different miners can read cards in different orders from each other)
msi afterburner
evga precision x
gpuz
[etc]

helps tons when messing with settings, as its very easy to mess with the wrong one
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: