Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:48:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual 6990 setup without needing monitor or dummy plug question  (Read 2763 times)
dual6990s (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:18:00 AM

Have had my rig setup for a number of months now,

grappled with freezing from log files overfilling to powersupply burnout in 14 days (buy a 1500 watt the first time).
Auto restart once a day etc.

Currently the monitor im using with it has 1 Dvi and 1 Vga , which works out perfect so the second card initialized (dummy plug issue).

Question:
1.  can i dummy plug both cards?

2. because the processor is only a single core (the second core would not unlock) but yet on 55 watts, remote desktop is ugly, especially obviously sending a nasty printscreen while grinding.  Any miners care to share their secret to no monitors?

3. for heat reasons the rig is away from the other computers, vga extension cable was having non of that.  Any suggestions at all as to how one could get both cards initialized, without needing a monitor plugged in?  How do other miners deal with hands off machines like this, command line only? 

rig is windows 7 ultimate, but only because i cant find a proper linux driver to run the N wireless (ethernet not an option as to it being on a different floor) . 

Ive seen similar posts but not really with 6990s and just fishing for some crazy answer or idea.  Spitballin here
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:24:46 AM

With ATI 11.7 I didn't need dummy plugs on Windows 7.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
dual6990s (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:34:54 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 05:58:52 AM by dual6990s

interesting, apparently ccc didnt realize 11.7 existed. dling and isntalling now.

Update:  unplugging both plugs results in no cards being detected by guiminer.  Correct you are about not needing a dummy plug for the second card tho. Can i dummy plug the main display without risking breakage? (im paranoid)
CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:08:20 AM

interesting, apparently ccc didnt realize 11.7 existed. dling and isntalling now.

Update:  unplugging both plugs results in no cards being detected by guiminer.  Correct you are about not needing a dummy plug for the second card tho. Can i dummy plug the main display without risking breakage? (im paranoid)

Provided the dummy plug is a nicely made one, I'm not sure why you couldn't trust it per se. Linux is really where you need to be if you want to be completely headless (no monitors).

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
dual6990s (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 07:07:42 AM

Turns out i found a new use for a dead graphics card. 

I have no resistors currently so i improvised.

6990 main card -> DVI to VGA adapter -> VGA cable -> DVI to VGA adapter -> Dvi on burned out graphics card just sitting on desk.

Turns out something fried on this other card, and every time the card gets a refresh pulse, the fan spins.  A literal visual sign. Ghetto bitcoin riggin (until radio shack opens).  Time to rig up some leds

Many thanks on that catalyst. 11.6 apparently doesnt realize 11.7 exists when you go to update.  Finally monitor free mining, with a physical telltale.  It's terrible, but it works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: