Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:47:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: backing up a QT wallet  (Read 81 times)
simongoat (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 11:23:32 AM

Do you need to make regular backups of QT wallets or is it safe to make a backup then leave it for a year.

Awesomus Maximus

Merit: 66

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 11:48:29 AM

What do you mean? Do you want to backup the keystore files where your private key is stored? If yes, than it should be enough to know that you have a safe backup  of the keystore file somewhere. Than you need not do anything else for a long period of time, as long as your private key is secure you should be fine.

simongoat (OP)

Merit: 102

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 12:59:35 PM

What do you mean? Do you want to backup the keystore files where your private key is stored?

Yep that's what I meant, you go to File > Backup Wallet. So the keystore is your private key. Don't know why I didn't make that connection earlier  Smiley

ZhukovM

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 01:07:43 PM

Never bothered with security. Any security system is a barrier. Which are built not only in front of the scammers, but also in front of you. And believe me, the fraudster is as easy to crack this barrier as you, in case of oblivion remember access.
duchaitp

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 01:15:44 PM

I always backup my wallet and store it carefully in many places. My friend used to lose a lot because of forgetting to backup.
agusiska

Activity: 630
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 01:16:14 PM

i think its more safer for having an back up for everything important we have, especialy asset or money sir, so do your back up before late.

[IXINIUM ] Transactions In Seconds, Backed By Real 100% Insured Assets.
| ❱  ANN  ◽  WHITEPAPER  ❰ |    ❪  JOIN OUR PRE-ICO  ❫
►►►►►►►   ▲ TELEGRAM   ▲ TWITTER
Awesomus Maximus

Merit: 66

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 08:04:53 AM

Yep that's what I meant, you go to File > Backup Wallet. So the keystore is your private key. Don't know why I didn't make that connection earlier  Smiley
Yes, that should suffice, but also watch out for corrupt data. For example, if the medium you write your keystore gets corrupt, you will lose your private key. In other words, make several copies.

Never bothered with security. Any security system is a barrier. Which are built not only in front of the scammers, but also in front of you. And believe me, the fraudster is as easy to crack this barrier as you, in case of oblivion remember access.
This is not just about security. If you lose your private key, your data is lost forever. You don't need hackers for that, just your own mistake.
berezov_petro

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

OPEN GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 08:50:50 AM

Do you need to make regular backups of QT wallets or is it safe to make a backup then leave it for a year.
I also believe that a backup should always be done, because you can lose your keys. Always keep in mind safety.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: