Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:09:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are smartphones popular when feature phones can do most things?  (Read 82 times)
ViceOfBTC21 (OP)

Activity: 438
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 06:52:29 PM

I wonder why smartphones are so popular, while most apps that run on smartphones could be made available on feature phones like social media ones. Most people won't feel any difference between smartphones and feature phones if OS of feature phones would be made properly. In addition, battery would last few days.

Yes, there are touch screen feature phones and not smartphones (see LG Cookie).

It should have built-in PIM software like notes, calendar, basic software and app store (it can be just a shortcut to website with apps) installed in.

OK, some apps that will run by 1GHz CPU and 256MB RAM written in yet another cell phone API like J2ME was in early 2000s:
- Social media ones, like Facebook, Instagram, Tinder, Snapchat (even rainbow vomitting video effect would work with even 400 MHz if they used server-side computing)
- Photo editor
- Book reader
- Music player
- Nice web browser (fesature phones browsers are terrible, smartphone have better browsers but it should be possible to write almost Firefox-like to that language)
- Some games (I can bet all my BTC that it's possible to run Pokemon GO on these specs I've told before)
- Map and navigation software
- E-mail client
- Mobile payments by special hardened hardware. Should be even way stronger than method which Google and Apple showed off so far, extremely tough to attacks by software installed in phone and should work even with empty battery. Nice to see Bitcoin payments too.

You can check notifications for Internet-enabled apps every 15 minutes by special API without apps being on background, so it won't eat battery. It can ping the developer's server with special IP through UDP and get notifications in that way.

This is possible to satisfy the needs of average (90%) smartphone user making it little cheaper through making nice trade-off between too smart smartphones and basic phones. As you see, most people use it only for such things and don't need a smartphone. Sure, smartphones will be more powerful, but such device will be most advanced 5 inch feature phone (which would be enough for 90%) instead of most basic smartphone.

What do you think about that idea? Because I think iPhone are either very basic smartphones or very advanced feature phone, I don't know.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ronalsi

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 09:30:30 AM

Smart phones are popular when most phones can do most of the things, because they have more applications, more usability, better design.
Johnsonyu

Activity: 171

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 02:51:30 PM

Even Methinks from the word" smart". Smartphone has more applications than other phones and their level of browsing capabilities Is very higher than that of other phones
DavidSalomon

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 01, 2018, 11:55:29 AM

there is no reason behind it just people are following one another thats why its become popular.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: